Swing assessment session

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The difference between golf and football is that with football and many other sports you are reacting to a moving ball. You don't have time to think about your technique,
fair point, apart from free kicks and penalties:smirk:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
But then you assess the shot percentages, and may be rule it out. However, and this to me is the difficult bit, having decided to lay up, I need to put the same concentration into the lay up as I would have done taking on the impossible. Not just go, uhhhh, it's an 8 iron then, and hit and hope.

Definitely every shot from tee to green needs the same level of concentration. How often have you seen people playing one from out of the trees to only go and knock it through the other side of the fairway.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
This game is all in the head, that is the difference between the best and the mere mortals who hack around the local pay and play every week. I heard this statement once. It was from one of the top golfers from years back, can't remember which one but think it may have been Jack Nicklaus.

"what is the length of the hardest shot in golf to master?"

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This game is all in the head, that is the difference between the best and the mere mortals who hack around the local pay and play every week. I heard this statement once. It was from one of the top golfers from years back, can't remember which one but think it may have been Jack Nicklaus.

"what is the length of the hardest shot in golf to master?"

the 6" drop?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thing is though, does the average golfer know how to sort his head out.

For instance, 8i to the pin. I think when I stand over the ball that i am concentrating. On what? I have no idea. None, but I am concentrating like mad.
Perhaps with some help, when I stand over the ball I will know what to concentrate on. I might then be in a position to put a decent swing on it, and arrive in the middle of the green.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is though, does the average golfer know how to sort his head out.

For instance, 8i to the pin. I think when I stand over the ball that i am concentrating. On what? I have no idea. None, but I am concentrating like mad.
Perhaps with some help, when I stand over the ball I will know what to concentrate on. I might then be in a position to put a decent swing on it, and arrive in the middle of the green.

Hey Murph think you have got the wrong end of the stick mate. I think the lessons you are going to embark on are a fantastic idea. This is what I have been saying, sorting the head out is so important to every golfer, it does not matter if your Luke Donald or Bob Smith with a 28 handicap.

I think more golf instructors need to work on peoples approach to a shot rather than the swing. How often do you hear the same old thing "I hit the ball really well at the range but not on the course". Maybe it is that they need to take lessons like you are and learn how to play a shot rather just knowing how to swing the club and hit the ball.

S

Snelly

This all reads to me like a collective attempt to make something that is inherently very simple, incredibly complicated.

What's wrong with just hitting the ball as cleanly as you can and going to find it to hit it again?

I bet Bobby Jones didn't discuss visualisation and percentages with his coaches.

And Sam Snead said one of the most important aspects of ensuring you hit a good shot is to completely empty your mind when you are over the ball. I agree with this. As soon as I start my backswing I try to have a clear head.

I am of the view that this way of approaching the game (as per Murph's coach) is the current vogue but it would not suit me. I don't believe in the method. I have a simpler view which is if you play enough, you improve. Same for all sports within reason.

That said, I wish you all the best with the lessons and I hope it helps you to get what you want.

Cheers,

Snelly

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Interesting post Mr Mog, good luck with it, always thought you lacked focus (...says the pot to the kettle) :mad:

I find that I play differently in different circumstances, something that I need to address if I'm ever going to start stringing reasonable rounds together again. For me a 4ball betterball doesn't help at all...grip it and rip it always seems to be the order of the day. In stroke play you don't HAVE to make birdie whereas in betterball you hardly ever play to the safe side of the green. It's fun for sure but destructive all the same as it makes you play shots you've only a knats-whisker chance of hitting.

Knowing how to create shot shapes is paramount and confidence in your ability to produce the shot you are thinking of, if you're not confident DON'T HIT IT. Ask yourself how you set up to hit a fade... set up that way and see if that fade happens... same for a draw, a high shot, a low stinger, punchy green grabber etc etc. If you can understand the geometry of the swing you'll trust yourself more as you become able to produce the shots.

Managing your play is important, I'd say don't always hit the shot you think of first, it's often too risky, see what's ahead, what your choices are and what's the risk..... imagine that you were discussing each shot with a caddy, would he always say "Go for it"?... sometimes front edge of green with 7-iron and two putting is better than thinning your 5-iron into the trees because you weren't confident you'd find that 30cm landing spot you'd chosen.

Finally, you'll get there if you want to, we all can. You definitely have the ability/mentality/commitment to do it, stop gaffing about with your swing, find a stable shot with your mid irons that doesn't involve 300 moving parts and take it from there.

regards........ :)

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Was wondering if you would post Snelly.

I agree to an extent with you, but from where I am standing, you have some talent for the game that I do not. As a result, I need to make it up somewhere, hopefully here.

Time will tell.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
This all reads to me like a collective attempt to make something that is inherently very simple, incredibly complicated.

What's wrong with just hitting the ball as cleanly as you can and going to find it to hit it again?

I bet you don't do that. As a decent player you simply make all the judgements/choices/decisions a lot quicker than someone who's struggling. You play enough to know your limits and what your current strengths/weaknesses are and react accordingly (albeit almost subconciously at times I expect).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
One other thing, I am quite quick over the ball, and my coach was happy with this. His view was that all this assessment, focus, thought process, whatever, could still fit within my some what quick routine. It wasn't like I would be standing there for hours, til I got it straight. I guess just one is correct, some guys do this almost without thinking.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hope it works for you Murph, but it sounds like it is turning a 4hr round into a 6+hr round with all that thinking. :D Make sure you take plenty of headache pills with you :D

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
You obviously have the talent and the game to shoot good scores so I think what your doing could be the difference between being a low-mid handicapper to being a CAT 1 golfer. I believe once you get to a level, the majority of the game is between the ears.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm keen to see how you progress.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bit late coming into this one (damn the NHS IT Gestapo). The opening post was Homeresque in length and depth but actually very interesting (so maybe nothing like mine after all). I can see what your pro is trying to do but it does sound quite a detailed way of engaging your thought process. Are all the lessons going to follow a similar pattern. I can see that being quite hard to digest what you are being told.

Its true that you can't succeed at anything if you have a fear of failing before you start. If you stand over the shots and think about the shank, the thin or the top then even with sound technique your are setting the conditioned brain to react to failure.

Having enjoyed your company and seen you play first hand there is still a decent golfer in there. If he can get you to focus correctly and think about the right things allied to an improved technique then 7-8 is definitely achievable next season and retainable

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well, I'll see how thinking goes this weekend, and report back after Monday's lesson. Should be interesting, how ever it goes. Who knows, could be the new me.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck with it Murph, hopefully you can post your progress.
I like the way your pro is approaching the lessons, he is looking to get a background on you and how you do things, which to me shows he has an interest in helping you get to where you want to go. He is not just simply saying, hit a few balls, do this, thanks for your money.. bye!
I like that approach, only 1 pro I have had lessons with does this kind of thing and gives email feedback/
hope it goes well.