Swindle

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apologies for the quite possibly stupid question but have seen the term 'swindle' used a lot on here in terms of games and have no idea what it is - it is similar to a roll-up but has slightly different rules?

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both the same in that it's a friendly non club competition often played by the same crowd for a few shillings. Sometimes the group will run their own swindle/ roll up handicaps

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My old Club called the Saturday comp during the Winter "The Swindle".... each region and club and groups within clubs will have variations on a theme!

Bit like "bounce game"... never heard of it other than on golf forums... is it Scottish/Northern? (I think its a friendly game between mates!) But I might be wrong!

....and you'll have to explain "shillings" to the young'uns!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apologies for the quite possibly stupid question but have seen the term 'swindle' used a lot on here in terms of games and have no idea what it is - it is similar to a roll-up but has slightly different rules?

It is in effect just a 'roll up'. But like some roll ups, the form of play varies from club to club. It could be skins, 2 from 3, 3 from 4 etc.

Most have handicaps determined by results or winnings over time (strictly non CONGU).
They are often run by a one man committee who sets the rules and rewards. Which is why they are called swindles :eek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit like "bounce game"... never heard of it other than on golf forums... is it Scottish/Northern? (I think its a friendly game between mates!) But I might be wrong!

....and you'll have to explain "shillings" to the young'uns!

I have always known it's use and I live in South England

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I grew up in Surrey...played in Wilts for 20 years too and never came across it ..........but is really widely used as we see on here.

Swindles are usually groups of golfers going out and playing for a few quid. Our club has a number of swindles on different days and times and they are a great wat for new members to get integrated into the club and meet some members to play with

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Swindles are usually groups of golfers going out and playing for a few quid. Our club has a number of swindles on different days and times and they are a great wat for new members to get integrated into the club and meet some members to play with

This ^^^

Roll-up, swindle, fiddle, greedy - all the same thing. Great way for new members to get involved. Depending on day, weather, time of year, we can have anything from 15 to 35 turn up.

And like someone said, nearly always organised by one person. Our recently retired (deposed??) leader always said "can't run these things by committee. It needs a dictator. Look what happened to Yugoslavia after Tito. It all fell apart."

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The swindle I play in runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so we're called the "TATS".
There's running joke that it's lucky we don't also play on Wednesdays.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks all, much appreciated all of the explanations. Just wondered really as hadn't seen any at the club but they do have plenty of roll-ups, which is why I wondered if it was the same

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I think "swindle" can be a term for anything where one person takes money off others for whatever purpose. I used to run the tea swindle at work collecting £1 from everybody for milk and tea and my mate ran the lottery swindle. This was at Heathrow so also a southern term.