Surrey/Kent Border - which golf club?

backtogolf

Visit site
Hello all - so lockdown has given me the time to try and get back into golf. I used to play quite a bit and managed to get down to a handicap of 14 - but that was 6/7 years ago, and have not played since, so i doubt im anywhere close to that anymore.

I've played a couple of rounds since the easing of lockdown and i think i'm falling back in love with the game. I was thinking about joining a course again. I live in Croydon and was a member of The Addington. A great course but the lack of practice facilities really annoyed me.

I was thinking about either West Kent Golf Club or Tandridge. What do people think of those two courses? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've not played West Kent but I love Tandridge, even if the course wasnt as good as it is the views are worth the membership alone ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Tandridge is great, if you are looking at that calibre of course then also consider Knole Park and Wildernesse.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
you've probably got 20 or more courses within a 5/6 mile radius so what are your priorities?

Driving range?
Short game practice?
9/18/27/36 holes?
OK/good/very good quality course?
Friendly?
Stuck up?
Tee time bookings/turn up and play?
Annual fees?
Joining fee?

Homer will be along later to recommend Mitcham and/or Wimbledon Common :rolleyes: ;)

backtogolf

Visit site
I love your question Leftie - forces me to think methodically. Lets do it...

Driving range? Yes please. I mean i could go to World of Golf in Croydon, but there is something special i think about being able to warm up properly at your own club before your round. It also means that i should be able to take lessons at the club.
Short game practice? Equally (or probably more) important than the driving range. Having the facilities at the club i think is a bonus.
9/18/27/36 holes? 18 - any more is obviously great and gives variety / potentially easier access at busy times but 18 is enough.
OK/good/very good quality course? A good challenge with mix of holes. Something that will push me in the future. I'm not amazing, so i am sure most courses will push me. If i am a member at course though, I would love for it to be looked after well and in generally good condition.
Friendly? Yes please. I will likely know no one there at the beginning so will need to develop the network there through swindles/comps etc. I've seen too many courses where there are little cliques. Need to avoid that if possible.
Stuck up? Please not. My profession is stuck up enough as it is and i need my me time to be friendly time. Look after the course and be a stickler for rules - OK. Be stuck up - not OK.
Tee time bookings/turn up and play? Turn up and play - generally means that
Annual fees? I know i'll have to pay them :eek: - im 33 so may qualify for some discounts. For a stunning course / faciltieis i would pay. Value of money is more important than absolute figure.
Joining fee? As above.

Homer will be along later to recommend Mitcham and/or Wimbledon Common :rolleyes:;)Don't knock mitcham. I started off playing there was i was 12! The wonderful inland links course that it is....

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Driving range? Yes please. I mean i could go to World of Golf in Croydon, but there is something special i think about being able to warm up properly at your own club before your round. It also means that i should be able to take lessons at the club.
Short game practice? Equally (or probably more) important than the driving range. Having the facilities at the club i think is a bonus.
9/18/27/36 holes? 18 - any more is obviously great and gives variety / potentially easier access at busy times but 18 is enough.
OK/good/very good quality course? A good challenge with mix of holes. Something that will push me in the future. I'm not amazing, so i am sure most courses will push me. If i am a member at course though, I would love for it to be looked after well and in generally good condition.
Friendly? Yes please. I will likely know no one there at the beginning so will need to develop the network there through swindles/comps etc. I've seen too many courses where there are little cliques. Need to avoid that if possible.
Stuck up? Please not. My profession is stuck up enough as it is and i need my me time to be friendly time. Look after the course and be a stickler for rules - OK. Be stuck up - not OK.
Annual fees? I know i'll have to pay them :eek: - im 33 so may qualify for some discounts. For a stunning course / faciltieis i would pay. Value of money is more important than absolute figure.
Joining fee? As above.

Homer will be along later to recommend Mitcham and/or Wimbledon Common :rolleyes:;)Don't knock mitcham. I started off playing there was i was 12! The wonderful inland links course that it is....
I'll add another little set of questions to Lefties list if I may be so bold. They would be important were I looking for a new club.

Would you prefer a traditional members club with an 'old-fashioned' layout/greens etc; a traditional members club with a modern layout and greens; a proprietary club ('old-fashioned' layout or modern layout?); a club with significant other 'non-golf' facilities (less likely in a traditional members club)

backtogolf

Visit site
Question away - its really making me think about what i like/dont like. I'm surprised that i didnt go through this exercise myself. My responses here may make me sound like a bit of a moron that doesn't understand the different types of club you describe - so do bear with me.

To start - may just throw in that i'd like to stay within a 30 mins drive of East / South Croydon. As tempting as some courses may be outside that distance, it does make going to the club more of a chore.

So - SwingsitlikeHogan - i can answer the last part of your question easily. I dont care about the other facilities. Again if it has them, great, but it wont be a reason. I'll be lucky selling this to my wife anyway without the attraction of anything else to keep me at the club longer. The 18 month old that we have demands every bit of attention she can get!

I'm not sure i get the difference between a traditional members club / a prop club. If the latter is owning a stake in the club, i doubt i'll be able to afford that (a junior barrister here, no pots of gold). If it means something different, see above comment about me possible looking like a moron answering the questions.

As to tradititonal/modern lay out again im not sure i know the difference. I have been lucky to be members of both The Addigton, which i think would be a traditional lay out, and Jumeirah Golf Estates in dubai, which i suspect is a modern lay out. Both have their pros and cons. I'd love a course with some wide fairways so that i am not consistantly losing my Chrome Soft lake balls....!

Thanks all - i really appreciate it!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Question away - its really making me think about what i like/dont like. I'm surprised that i didnt go through this exercise myself. My responses here may make me sound like a bit of a moron that doesn't understand the different types of club you describe - so do bear with me.

To start - may just throw in that i'd like to stay within a 30 mins drive of East / South Croydon. As tempting as some courses may be outside that distance, it does make going to the club more of a chore.

So - SwingsitlikeHogan - i can answer the last part of your question easily. I dont care about the other facilities. Again if it has them, great, but it wont be a reason. I'll be lucky selling this to my wife anyway without the attraction of anything else to keep me at the club longer. The 18 month old that we have demands every bit of attention she can get!

I'm not sure i get the difference between a traditional members club / a prop club. If the latter is owning a stake in the club, i doubt i'll be able to afford that (a junior barrister here, no pots of gold). If it means something different, see above comment about me possible looking like a moron answering the questions.

As to tradititonal/modern lay out again im not sure i know the difference. I have been lucky to be members of both The Addigton, which i think would be a traditional lay out, and Jumeirah Golf Estates in dubai, which i suspect is a modern lay out. Both have their pros and cons. I'd love a course with some wide fairways so that i am not consistantly losing my Chrome Soft lake balls....!

Thanks all - i really appreciate it!
I guess how I think of the difference between traditional layouts and modern ones is just through my limited experience.

The course of my very traditional club has small greens - without huge swales and variations in them - though a few split level. The holes are not particularly long and the fairways can be quite narrow and tend to follow and blend into the landscape; it doesn't look 'manufactured' - though of course when built it was. My limited experience of some modern layouts is that there was a push for so many new courses to be 'championship' courses - so long holes with lots of 'creative design' bunkers especially in the fairways; and with huge 'American' greens with significant swales and changes of level. I prefer 'older' courses but enjoy pretty much anything.

I've not played Jumeirah estates but yes - the Dubai courses epitomise the extreme of manufactured (obviously).

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Friends of mine that live up that way are all member of the alton wood group (westerham/woldingham/surrey national & godstone) they pay around £100 a month and can play at all four.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Joining fee? As above.

First of all, where ever you go there will always be cliques and swindles that are difficult to get into (and usually best avoided as they can become quite expensive). That aside I think that once you get over the gaining a handicap problem you will usually quickly get a network of players through playing comps. If you can sometimes play midweek then it's a lot easier.

Secondly, Sundridge Park, ticks all your boxes. Driving range up to about 270 yds, Great short game practice area. 2 x 18 hole courses which are annually used for the Waterford Trophy where even scratch and better golfers rarely break par. The East course was used as an Open qualifier in the late '90's. Current Covid related restrictions apart, no tee booking apart from comps - just turn up and play. 2 teams of green keepers, 1 for each course, so there is always competition between them as to which can present theirs the best. We are currently interviewing 15 new prospective members with more in the pipeline. Soon be back to a waiting list I think. Head Pro plus 3 teaching assistant Pros with teaching bay and all the gizmos for club fitting. Only possible downside is that I'm a member there.

Next recommendation would be Croham Hurst, Walking distance from South Croydon and a really good course, usually very presented and with a nice membership (or at least all the people I know there are). I nearly joined there when I left Westerham 20 years ago but the lure of Sundridge was irresistible for me. Practice facilities available but not great. Having said that, they are better than a lot of clubs around the area as space is at a premium. For a handicap player, I think that Croham has 2 of the toughest opening holes in the area.

Addington Palace is a good choice apart from practice facilities. One of the toughest opening 9 holes around for the h/cap golfer imo. Nice crowd there as well.

The Addington you know. Love playing there a couple of times a year but don't think I would want to be a member.

Purley Downs. Nice course on chalk so playable in most conditions but too much crossing for me.

Farley is also just up the road from you. 27 holes but I've only played it once about 20 years ago so can't comment on it. Oddsocks is a member there I think and if he's still on the Forum may be able to help.

Langley Park. Long, flat and boring imo and lacks decent practice facilities.

A bit left field, but give a thought to Woodcote Park in Woodmansterne/Coulsdon. Not a course mentioned on this type of thread and I haven't played there for at least 15/20 years, but I enjoyed games there and I believe that they have good practice facilities.

If you want to go further afield, I would recommend Knole Park (Jobr1850 is a member), Wilderness lovely course but has/had a bit of a reputation for being a bit stuffy but of course that might have changed. Ditto Tandridge although Badger may be able to update you on this.

So many to choose from. If you want to know about any others in the area, let me know and I'll help if I can.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forgot about Shirley Park. Similar comments as Croham but would prefer the latter.

Played Woldingham once and never again. Of the Altonwood courses, (The Addington, Westerham, "The" Woldingham - Dukes Dene as was, Surrey National - Happy Valley as was, and Godstone 9 hole, I believe you get access to 4 courses as part of your membership (imo only Westerham is half decent) and limited access to The Addington (at extra cost I believe).

Last edited:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Why didn't you like Woldingham, Leftie? I kind of like it, but I wouldn't fancy being a member there - it can be a little dull, and there are some incredibly meh holes (most of the back 9).

I'm surprised no one has suggested the Kent and Surrey Golf Club? The name ticks the box alone, but it's a shame about the course though :ROFLMAO:

Purely based on the courses - I quite like Farleigh. I also like Coulsdon, but the course conditions can sometimes be questionable.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why didn't you like Woldingham, Leftie? I kind of like it, but I wouldn't fancy being a member there - it can be a little dull, and there are some incredibly meh holes (most of the back 9).

I'm surprised no one has suggested the Kent and Surrey Golf Club? The name ticks the box alone, but it's a shame about the course though :ROFLMAO:

Purely based on the courses - I quite like Farleigh. I also like Coulsdon, but the course conditions can sometimes be questionable.

The OP was looking for recommendations ......

Woldingham? In addition to your comments (I would say about 14/15 holes though), I played it after a spell of rain. The course shouldn't have been open and was actually dangerous in parts.

K & S? As per your comment plus it's about 12 miles from where OP is based.

D

Deleted member 23344

How about Shirley Park, Croham Hurst or a little further down Woldingham (not the same feel, but definately friendly)

I have a friend who is a member at Shirley Park, so I play there from time to time. Good course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Next door to Surrey National in Tadworth is Kingswood. Ticks a lot of boxes in terms of practice facilities, decent enough course and flexible membership scheme. A downside would be booked tee times but decent enough clubhouse and good food and drink and friendly reception

backtogolf

Visit site
First of all, where ever you go there will always be cliques and swindles that are difficult to get into (and usually best avoided as they can become quite expensive). That aside I think that once you get over the gaining a handicap problem you will usually quickly get a network of players through playing comps. If you can sometimes play midweek then it's a lot easier.

Secondly, Sundridge Park, ticks all your boxes. Driving range up to about 270 yds, Great short game practice area. 2 x 18 hole courses which are annually used for the Waterford Trophy where even scratch and better golfers rarely break par. The East course was used as an Open qualifier in the late '90's. Current Covid related restrictions apart, no tee booking apart from comps - just turn up and play. 2 teams of green keepers, 1 for each course, so there is always competition between them as to which can present theirs the best. We are currently interviewing 15 new prospective members with more in the pipeline. Soon be back to a waiting list I think. Head Pro plus 3 teaching assistant Pros with teaching bay and all the gizmos for club fitting. Only possible downside is that I'm a member there.

Next recommendation would be Croham Hurst, Walking distance from South Croydon and a really good course, usually very presented and with a nice membership (or at least all the people I know there are). I nearly joined there when I left Westerham 20 years ago but the lure of Sundridge was irresistible for me. Practice facilities available but not great. Having said that, they are better than a lot of clubs around the area as space is at a premium. For a handicap player, I think that Croham has 2 of the toughest opening holes in the area.

Addington Palace is a good choice apart from practice facilities. One of the toughest opening 9 holes around for the h/cap golfer imo. Nice crowd there as well.

The Addington you know. Love playing there a couple of times a year but don't think I would want to be a member.

Purley Downs. Nice course on chalk so playable in most conditions but too much crossing for me.

Farley is also just up the road from you. 27 holes but I've only played it once about 20 years ago so can't comment on it. Oddsocks is a member there I think and if he's still on the Forum may be able to help.

Langley Park. Long, flat and boring imo and lacks decent practice facilities.

A bit left field, but give a thought to Woodcote Park in Woodmansterne/Coulsdon. Not a course mentioned on this type of thread and I haven't played there for at least 15/20 years, but I enjoyed games there and I believe that they have good practice facilities.

If you want to go further afield, I would recommend Knole Park (Jobr1850 is a member), Wilderness lovely course but has/had a bit of a reputation for being a bit stuffy but of course that might have changed. Ditto Tandridge although Badger may be able to update you on this.

So many to choose from. If you want to know about any others in the area, let me know and I'll help if I can.

Thank you all for your comments - it has been incredibly helpful.

So i've gone through the list, and put them up against the criteria that you all suggested. I've come up with the following to explore more, ask you guys more questions about if i may, and then contact them.

Croham Hurst - i played there a couple of times as a kid and remember really liking it. The range was a bit small, but as Leftie says, space is at a premium and something is better than nothing. It is also very convenient for me, where i live now.

Farleigh -I mention this just to say why i've ruled it out as it would appear, on its face, to tick all my boxes. It has a very corporate feel to it. It does not appear to be a true members club that is geared towards its members, and has a pay and play feel. I love the range and use it regularly and can see why many would like the club - but it doesnt have the vibe for me.

Sundridge Park - Mr Leftie - you have drawn my attention to this club. It was not even on my radar as i thought it was miles away - it isnt! I hope i dont end up hating you for introducing me to the idea of this place....it looks lovely. I'm going to email and find out about pricing because what you say about interviewing 15 and having a wait list appears to suggest a course that can command a considerable premium. I'm hoping it is not out of my price range. I will also try to arrange a visit and check out the course / teaching / everything. If i am to join a club like this, it really has to be a forever club.

Tandridge - This was on my original list of two and people seem to suggest its good, if a bit snooty. Again, i can try and arrange a visit and judge the place out.

West Kent Golf Club - What do people think of this one? The lack of comments make me think its underwhelming? Leftie - you made some comments about it having improved (see, i have done some research into this - you made these comments back in 2013 on this forum). Have you played / have any experience of WKGC since then?

Kingswood - Looks nice and don't know much about it, so cannot rule it out without checking it out.

There is a final "curve ball" to throw into all of this that you guys may suggest is better for a separate thread as it is a distinct topic in its own right, but has become part of my thinking whilst trawling through all the website - academy membership. I know that this is not full membership and comes with a whole host of restrictions, but it has appeal for three reasons:

1. As i mentioned in the OP, i am coming back to golf after a long period off. Academy membership comes with a course of lessons that would force me to take them, rather than just hit the course blind and resume all the bad habits i once had.
2. It would provide me with a year to get a really good feel for the club, and for the members me, to see if i am right. Currently, i would not know anyone at any of these clubs to propose/second me.
3. I would get limited off peak access to the course, so would still be able to play.

Do people have any experience of academy membership / whether it is a good idea / whether it is frowned upon?

Sorry for all the questions - and thanks to all of you for your help through this decision.