Surge of New Members

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
prices frozen at my club and a 'credit' equal to two months for renewing members,

also in the news letter we have had a decent number of new members join from the council owned golf course that ceased trading in the winter

whispers are that we had 24 new members

7 day membership currently suspended to new members until end of the month, when renewals are done the membership will no doubt open up again, but we have a waiting list for the first time in 20 years.

I must add, we have to restrict membership numbers as we are only a 9 hole course,

AliMc

Visit site
Haddington where I live but don't play has apparently taken in about 80 or so new members, it's good for them as there have been issues with finances in the past, my mate says it's a bit of a nightmare now getting times at the weekend, when I've driven past the car parks have been mobbed

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
For the first time our club is at full capacity, now a waiting list and increased joining fee implemented.

It’s certainly great to see especially with the club closures over the past few years it’s nice to see things turn around.

Our club also offered 10% cash back on membership that was lost due to Covid or 15% off membership. Fortunately most members refused this to get the money reinvested back into the club.

The club seems to be in the best place in a long while, complete shake up of the board as well, should see better financial decisions as avid golfers on the same wavelength as myself and other keen players are on the board making the right changes and investments into the club.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
For the first time our club is at full capacity, now a waiting list and increased joining fee implemented.

It’s certainly great to see especially with the club closures over the past few years it’s nice to see things turn around.

Our club also offered 10% cash back on membership that was lost due to Covid or 15% off membership. Fortunately most members refused this to get the money reinvested back into the club.

The club seems to be in the best place in a long while, complete shake up of the board as well, should see better financial decisions as avid golfers on the same wavelength as myself and other keen players are on the board making the right changes and investments into the club.
Although Goswick now closing to new members, doubtful clubs in north -east reaching saturation point in terms of members (not sure they have any notion of setting a ceiling on numbers). Interested to hear further...?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although Goswick now closing to new members, doubtful clubs in north -east reaching saturation point in terms of members (not sure they have any notion of setting a ceiling on numbers). Interested to hear further...?
Seaton Carew is Full in all Categories other than Juniors & has a waiting list despite recent fairly considerable increases in costs to help cover course improvements.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
Seaton Carew is Full in all Categories other than Juniors & has a waiting list despite recent fairly considerable increases in costs to help cover course improvements.
Is the there an entry fee at SC? None at Goswick. Whitley Bay charges £575 entry and has a waiting list last I heard. Not aware of anywhere else in the region in same healthy position.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is the there an entry fee at SC? None at Goswick. Whitley Bay charges £575 entry and has a waiting list last I heard. Not aware of anywhere else in the region in same healthy position.
Unsure about a joining fee. I enjoyed a +60 miles Country membership for a number of years but left when it went up £60 to £370..... now at £400 & unworkable with Covid restrictions. Was great whilst it lasted.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Only other club I'm aware of that's saying they're full in this area is...
The city of Newcastle golf club, in Gosforth.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Am hearing of a club in the area that gained members, and now has a waiting list, who are scrapping monthly payment options. Sellers market I suppose.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The surge in new members has put 10% on our weekend Comp entries. :p Has also provided us with a Div2 winner scoring a Nett 57 playing off HI 24. Next round he'll be off 7.4 :unsure:
WHS working pretty well there. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Now things have started to settle down and booking tee times has become less of a chore, already I am managing to book something pretty much every day.

What we are seeing, in terms of the newer members who have joined in the last twelve months, is just what sort of member the club has gained. In the main, the consensus at the club is that what we have gained in additional subscriptions we have lost elsewhere.

It seems pretty clear, with pubs and shops shut, spectator sports not allowing fans, and severe restrictions on almost every other aspect of our leisure time, members have joined our club as a means of filling their time. We are proprietary owned, so merely cancelling the monthly payment and disappearing into the ether when you’ve had enough is an option.

The result is that, whilst the club have doubtless recruited some members who will enjoy the benefits of golf club membership, I’m afraid they have gained many more who are merely coming for something to do and have absolutely no idea how to conduct themselves on a golf course, and no respect for the course, it’s staff or the members.

The worst example of the new behaviour we are having to become used to is the amount of litter strewn around the place, most notable beer bottles. When the bins are full towards the end of the day, people are leaving beer bottles on tees, in the rough and even, on occasion, in the middle of fairways. If ever I am playing late afternoon this issue is very evident.

I was very willing to cut the new members some slack. It’s always easy, after all, to blame the new guy if standards slip. But having discussed this widely with other members and club staff it is very clear that the influx of new members is at the root of this problem. The owners are in the process of identifying the culprits and terminating their memberships.

The widely held belief is that, as we slowly return to something approaching normal, many of the newer members will simply cancel their subs and return to their old routines. If they take their filth with them then they won’t be missed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only other club I'm aware of that's saying they're full in this area is...
The city of Newcastle golf club, in Gosforth.
Foxton might not be far off. They have a joining fee, £250, and according to their website there is limited availability. I know members there and your finger has to be very fast to get a weekend time. If they aren't quite full then they are close to it.

Can't think of any others beyond those you have mentioned ?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now things have started to settle down and booking tee times has become less of a chore, already I am managing to book something pretty much every day.

What we are seeing, in terms of the newer members who have joined in the last twelve months, is just what sort of member the club has gained. In the main, the consensus at the club is that what we have gained in additional subscriptions we have lost elsewhere.

It seems pretty clear, with pubs and shops shut, spectator sports not allowing fans, and severe restrictions on almost every other aspect of our leisure time, members have joined our club as a means of filling their time. We are proprietary owned, so merely cancelling the monthly payment and disappearing into the ether when you’ve had enough is an option.

The result is that, whilst the club have doubtless recruited some members who will enjoy the benefits of golf club membership, I’m afraid they have gained many more who are merely coming for something to do and have absolutely no idea how to conduct themselves on a golf course, and no respect for the course, it’s staff or the members.

The worst example of the new behaviour we are having to become used to is the amount of litter strewn around the place, most notable beer bottles. When the bins are full towards the end of the day, people are leaving beer bottles on tees, in the rough and even, on occasion, in the middle of fairways. If ever I am playing late afternoon this issue is very evident.

I was very willing to cut the new members some slack. It’s always easy, after all, to blame the new guy if standards slip. But having discussed this widely with other members and club staff it is very clear that the influx of new members is at the root of this problem. The owners are in the process of identifying the culprits and terminating their memberships.

The widely held belief is that, as we slowly return to something approaching normal, many of the newer members will simply cancel their subs and return to their old routines. If they take their filth with them then they won’t be missed.

Maybe the owners should empty the bins more often.......?

Billysboots

Visit site
Maybe the owners should empty the bins more often.......?

I hardly think we can expect greenkeeping staff, who start before 6am every day, to stop until late afternoon purely to provide a bin emptying service!

How about people just take their empties with them? Empties which are lighter after they have had their contents consumed.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hardly think we can expect greenkeeping staff, who start before 6am every day, to stop until late afternoon purely to provide a bin emptying service!

How about people just take their empties with them? Empties which are lighter after they have had their contents consumed.

Why does it have to be green keeping staff? Bigger bins......?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t believe you’re seeking to defend people who can’t just put their empties back in their golf bag.

I can’t believe you seem to object to people who just want to play golf for recreation and some fun.....and want to help reduce your own fees!

If you’re that bothered then take a black bag out with you - we did the other day before reopening and got 8 black bags worth of rubbish!

it’s not like a beer bottle next to a bin will get in the way of your golf.....and it’ll get collected at 6am the next morning surely?!

Billysboots

Visit site
I can’t believe you seem to object to people who just want to play golf for recreation and some fun.....and want to help reduce your own fees!

If you’re that bothered then take a black bag out with you - we did the other day before reopening and got 8 black bags worth of rubbish!

it’s not like a beer bottle next to a bin will get in the way of your golf.....and it’ll get collected at 6am the next morning surely?!

I’m not talking about the odd bottle by a bin.

Do you think wine bottles left lying in a fairway are acceptable? Because that’s the level of littering I’m talking about. And it’s not my job to take a bin bag out to clear up someone else’s mess - it’s their responsibility not to leave it lying around.