Supplementry card?

Nooner68

Visit site
My junior daughter entered her home club competition which allows Tuesday evening & Wednesday morning tee times.
She paid competition fee & played the 18 holes on Tuesday evening. I marked her card as no one else had entered Tuesday night.
The rest of the field played Wednesday morning & my daughter with 35 points managed to win the competition. We have now been informed 2 days after the result was published on master scoreboard that her competition fee will be returned & her victory cancelled as I marked her card & they only accept women markers. They have also informed us that they intend to put card forward as a supplementary card as her hcp would have been reduced. My question is can they Enter card as a supplementary when it was supposed to be & she basically hasn't entered any competition. If yes as she scored 35 points how can she see a reduction when sss is 36?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't comment on the handicap calculation except that your observation 're SSS being the valid basis would be correct, and that seems to make any argument about it being used as a supplemental a mute point.
Regarding the validity of the score -
1. There must be a terms of competition in place that states the acceptable marker. If this isn't in place (written etc) they must accept the card as it stands.
2. Rule 3.3 covers markers and the committee may either appoint a marker or set out how the player may select their own (as in 1 above).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My junior daughter entered her home club competition which allows Tuesday evening & Wednesday morning tee times.
She paid competition fee & played the 18 holes on Tuesday evening. I marked her card as no one else had entered Tuesday night.
The rest of the field played Wednesday morning & my daughter with 35 points managed to win the competition. We have now been informed 2 days after the result was published on master scoreboard that her competition fee will be returned & her victory cancelled as I marked her card & they only accept women markers. They have also informed us that they intend to put card forward as a supplementary card as her hcp would have been reduced. My question is can they Enter card as a supplementary when it was supposed to be & she basically hasn't entered any competition. If yes as she scored 35 points how can she see a reduction when sss is 36?
It seems to me that you have a valid gripe!

I think the club may have been trying to 'help', but managed to make a mess of their efforts - not uncommon in my experience!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Par is 72
She scored nett 73 & was the only one to play in the so called competition on Tuesday.
If she put a supplementry card in on any given day I expect it would be calculated to sss 72?
Yes it would be calculated to 72/72 - or 36 points in stableford terms.
You now reference a net 73; if that does represent 35 points then fine, it will be a neutral card for any handicap category. If that is just a rough estimate, and there are any holes exceeding net db, it may not be a neutral card, so an accurate stableford count is the easy option.

Nooner68

Visit site
21.6 in the congu handbook states that a player must signify their intentions to submit a supplementary card. Reading your post, no intention was made so the card cannot be treated as a supplementary.
That's what we think as it was her intention to play her round as a competition round which she did, though they have now cancelled that.

Nooner68

Visit site
Yes it would be calculated to 72/72 - or 36 points in stableford terms.
You now reference a net 73; if that does represent 35 points then fine, it will be a neutral card for any handicap category. If that is just a rough estimate, and there are any holes exceeding net db, it may not be a neutral card, so an accurate stableford count is the easy option.
35 points/nett 73. They are calculating css as 34 points from there cards played on Wednesday so computer gives her a hcp cut. If they have entered her card as a supplementary there is surely no css only sss

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
35 points/nett 73. They are calculating css as 34 points from there cards played on Wednesday so computer gives her a hcp cut. If they have entered her card as a supplementary there is surely no css only sss
Correct.
Fiasco all round and no one looks good.
Real shame

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Under the new WHS, the daily rating adjustment (if any) will apply to all legal scores returned on the same day.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't believe that they will only accept women markers. Does it state that in the club rules?

Regarding the validity of the score -
1. There must be a terms of competition in place that states the acceptable marker. If this isn't in place (written etc) they must accept the card as it stands.
2. Rule 3.3 covers markers and the committee may either appoint a marker or set out how the player may select their own (as in 1 above).

Another one questioning that here.

We only require that the marker has a handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A point to make is that they cannot use the CSS for the second day on the basis of

18.2 In the event of one round of a Qualifying Competition extending over more than one day, a separate Competition Scratch Score must be calculated for each day.

Another point

The following are situations when the player has been disqualified, where a score shall not be regarded as a correct score. The score must be regarded as a ‘No Return’ and a handicap increase of 0.1 shall be applied to the Exact Handicap, unless the CSS calculates as CSS=SSS+3 R/O.

33-7
Disqualification penalty imposed by Committee
Not acceptable

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The following are situations when the player has been disqualified, where a score shall not be regarded as a correct score. The score must be regarded as a ‘No Return’ and a handicap increase of 0.1 shall be applied to the Exact Handicap, unless the CSS calculates as CSS=SSS+3 R/O.

33-7
Disqualification penalty imposed by Committee
Not acceptable

The following are examples where scores shall be corrected for handicap purposes following disqualification from the competition by the Committee in charge.
Rule No. 3-2
Nature of Breach
Failure to hole out in stroke play
Action for Handicap Purposes
Adjust score for hole at which offence occurred under Clause 19 (Stableford / Nett Double Bogey Adjustment)

Note 1: As a general principle, if a score would have been acceptable under Stableford conditions it should, whenever possible, be acceptable for handicap purposes in Stroke Play following Clause 19 adjustment for any hole where the player has either failed to hole out, or failed to produce a score that satisfied the Rules of Golf.

MikeB

Club Champion
Visit site
Tell them that when you signed the card you were identifying your gender as female :)
My club & any other I have asked allow any Congu handicap holder to sign a card.