Suddenly the unbanked!!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I already pay now.. but i get it back.
I cant remember, but i used to pay £3 every month, but due to a % cashback, i would get about £10 back
but couple of months ago i upgraded to their black account and was still beating their £13 fees. plus access to insurance, airport dragon pass etc
Very strange they are just de-banking you. You must seek answers asap.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree.. should have known more before i like some Rony Tominson's videos
Have you looked at your Credit score on your Nat West account? This will be with Trans Union. It will show you what is good and what needs improvement.

You may be able to get your Full Credit report.

Also there will be an opportunity to "Raise a dispute" The score is out of around 700 with some items weighted. Also they like to see you borrowing each month BUT repaying and accounts up to date. If you are continually in credit it is worse than not having any borrowing. Borrowing more than 50% from one company is frowned upon and they prefer if you borrow more than 10% of your available credit.

This should give you an insight.

It is extremely rare for Bank's asking you to find alternative arrangements.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you looked at your Credit score on your Nat West account? This will be with Trans Union. It will show you what is good and what needs improvement.

You may be able to get your Full Credit report.

Also there will be an opportunity to "Raise a dispute" The score is out of around 700 with some items weighted. Also they like to see you borrowing each month BUT repaying and accounts up to date. If you are continually in credit it is worse than not having any borrowing. Borrowing more than 50% from one company is frowned upon and they prefer if you borrow more than 10% of your available credit.

This should give you an insight.

It is extremely rare for Bank's asking you to find alternative arrangements.
I am going to check this later.. it needs the natwest app.. If i am not wrong, it was >630 or somehting earlier in the year.. So i am assuming I am still good.

I did ask them, if this forced closure will affect my credit score. She said, it does not, since it is not held on file and you can use a standard account switching method.

It is all a bit surreal and not sunk in. I may never know why (despite going to the ombudsman). but either way, i am out

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, my wife and I got £100 each.
(also @PJ87 ).. in my old natfest account, i paid about £10 as monthly fees, but i would get some cash back via direct debits etc. So usually, i would earn my fees back. Funnily it does not say this on the natw website.

Can you earn back your Nationwide fees?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
(also @PJ87 ).. in my old natfest account, i paid about £10 as monthly fees, but i would get some cash back via direct debits etc. So usually, i would earn my fees back. Funnily it does not say this on the natw website.

Can you earn back your Nationwide fees?

No nothing with that one , I know Santander do that

As do Halifax I think?

Need to access them all really

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I looked at all the big guys - Santander, HSBC, Barclays... but looks like it will come down to Lloyds and Nationwide. Funny i never considered Nationwide as a 'full bank' rather a building soc.
lloyds offering £175 to switch - which should pay for thier first year of fees.
Forget the historical banks, Starling Bank would be my choice.
I have a personal bank account and business bank account with them. Everything is done via the app, they are excellent and keeping you informed and notifying ou when money is incomming.
My wife worked for the Halifax for 24.5 yrs, and she thinks Starling are superb.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forget the historical banks, Starling Bank would be my choice.
I have a personal bank account and business bank account with them. Everything is done via the app, they are excellent and keeping you informed and notifying ou when money is incomming.
My wife worked for the Halifax for 24.5 yrs, and she thinks Starling are superb.
i agree... new age is the way to go... but i m not sure i am ready yet..
.. also once in a while, i might need to go in to get some cash..

sunshine

Visit site
Thing is £13 a month you can't argue with it really. Provides mobile insurance for both my wife and I (plus any phone in the house, when kids get older .. sorted)

Covers us with the AA I think ATM anyways brake down cover for both of us in any car we travel in, not just our cars

Covers the whole family in world wide travel insurance

Just takes a lot of effort out of having to sort them every year or month

Have used the aa one years ago with a different bank to get me moving on a flat tyre in a snow storm , very useful

Plus when we got a mortgage they gave us a 4 year fix for the price of a 3 year fix (as in rate)

Not bad for £156 a year

I've looked into this before with other banks. £156 a year for worldwide family travel insurance and breakdown cover sounded too good to be true. It was: the cover was minimal, and insufficient to be relied on. Maybe Nationwide is better.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i agree... new age is the way to go... but i m not sure i am ready yet..
.. also once in a while, i might need to go in to get some cash..
A hole in the wall card works with many machines. You use the Post Office to draw or pay cash in.
You get 3% interest (I think it is) on positive balances in their personal banking. Business banking is free.
The just dont do gimmicks, just solid reliable banking.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've looked into this before with other banks. £156 a year for worldwide family travel insurance and breakdown cover sounded too good to be true. It was: the cover was minimal, and insufficient to be relied on. Maybe Nationwide is better.
Someone I know is with Lloyds and they paid his medical bills when he got Delhi Belly and also replaced phones for him

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If Barage had no chance, what chance do I have

IMG_6338.jpeg
“Coutts considered its relationship with Mr Farage to be commercially unviable because it was significantly loss-making,” said the report by the law firm Travers Smith, and added that it was “highly probable that the exit decision would not have been made had Coutts deemed the relationship with the client to be commercially viable”.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Another one for Nationwide here. I do most of my banking online and their website and app is easy to use. I get the £100 money into my account as part of sharing the benefits. Also there is a local branch should I ever need it. Very happy with them as a provider.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another one for Nationwide here. I do most of my banking online and their website and app is easy to use. I get the £100 money into my account as part of sharing the benefits. Also there is a local branch should I ever need it. Very happy with them as a provider.

I recently closed my Barclays for royal Bank of Scotland

Have NatWest
Nationwide
Halifax
And obviously RBOS

They all work well as apps

NatWest best for paying in coins

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
visited local natwest and the poor souls there don’t know anything more than I do..

Spoke to Natwest complaints and they say ‘tough luck and good bye. We will see you at the ombudsman ‘

Looks like it will be a toss between Llyods and Nationwide. Both have a branch locally. Only difference is Lloyd’s comes with 12 months of Disney.

Also apparently switching online is only possible on solo accounts not joint accounts. Lloyds needs you to come into branch. NW is all online