Stupid mistake!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ended up knocking my approach to the 18th 10 yards too far last night and went OB.

Our 18th is uphill to a two tier green and the pin was back right.

Anyway, decent drive just in first cut about 95 yards to centre. Just to be certain of a yardage (birdie sweep hole) I paced from the 100 marker and counted 5 yards. because I had 5 in my head I added it to the hundred, instead of taking it off. Allowed another 5 for the back pin and about another 5 for it being up hill. perfect easy PW. Soon as I hit it i realised. It was dead on line but long.

Bounced on the down slope at back of trhe green and straight OB onto the putting green. Ended up NR-ing not wanting to hold up the group behind.

Has such a simple, stupid mistake ever cost you a round? Or is it just me :D

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I made a couple of stupid mental errors in my singles matchplay on Tuesday night.

Both holes I was getting a shot off my opponent.

1st time. We are both in the middle of the fairway with our drivers. He miss hits his approach and comes up 40 yards short. Instead of just taking an easy 6i and matching his shot I take out my 3h and go for the green, with OB all down the right. Yep pulled it and with the draw, one bounce and out.

2nd one. Par 5 again with a shot in hand. Big wide fairway, OB down the right, instead or aiming way left for safety I start it up the right to draw it back. Nope, got quick on the shot and big slice OB. Then almost done exactly the same on the 2nd teeshot but it just stayed in. Didn't matter though cuz I toed the next shot out of bounds anyway.

Criminal mistakes. But I'll learn next time.

It's the first time I've played the club matchplay knockout and this was only my 4th game. But loved every minute of it. Really like matchplay, bit more tactical.

Lost 3and2 in the end, but shot to my handicap. So my opponent played well, so I didn't exactly hand it to him.

Spinn77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dont understand - if you knew as soon as you'd hit it that it was long and OOB, why didnt you just drop another ball and finish your round?

There doesnt seem to be a reason to NR.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that it would have made more sense just to play another ball and get the card in anyway. To answer the question, I haven't done anything as foolish although there were a few heart in mouth times when I first got my SC and took more club as it was saying how far back the flag was. In the air on several holes it looked long but having learned my distances when I first got it they all came down on the green. I have thinned a wedge through our 18th off the clubhouse wall and back in bounds.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I dont understand - if you knew as soon as you'd hit it that it was long and OOB, why didnt you just drop another ball and finish your round?

There doesnt seem to be a reason to NR.

^
^
^
Wot he said, makes no sense to me either.

Good job you are so good with your yardages too, when I have 105yds I invariable leave it 10yds short, perfik! ;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My biggest mental error is just choosing my club based on distance to the flag, wind and elevation.

I've played my course often enough now to know which greens will hold and which won't, and where not to miss on them, but I hardly ever remember to adjust for it before I hit my shot.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry didnt make it clear, I knew it was long but didn't expect it to go out, thought it would have landed in a little gully and held as it was quite wet. Only realised when I had gotten to the back of the green it had landed on the down slope and bounced out.

At that point the chaps behind had already played tee shots.

I aint a fan of NR0ing but I didnt want to spoil someone elses, potentially decent round.

PARMO, It wasn't wasted, I had two birdies in the birdie sweep holes. I'll recoup some money back.