Stunning hole - yes or no

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Stunning

• Total voters

Wolf

Visit site
Don't think its a stunning hole, a good links hole for sure.

Now the pics of RCD are just stunning.

This is also a cracker of a stunning links hole

View attachment 27164
See now I look at that and don't see anything stunning about it as a golf hole. Maybe I just need to get out more on links courses but I've never seen one yet that makes me think wow..

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
See now I look at that and don't see anything stunning about it as a golf hole. Maybe I just need to get out more on links courses but I've never seen one yet that makes me think wow..

I agree it does nothing for me either, a bit of grass within some mounds surrounding it. If I'm playing links I want to see the sea and all the surroundings, not just endless green and brown hills.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've always thought that the view from the tee, on the 11th at Hillside, is a pretty stunning view...and from the tee on the 10th, at Troon, as one of the most intimidating

Wolf

Visit site
I agree it does nothing for me either, a bit of grass within some mounds surrounding it. If I'm playing links I want to see the sea and all the surroundings, not just endless green and brown hills.
Think that's the issue I have I want scenery, views for miles not some brown and green grass mounds. Maybe I have to high expectations

D

Deleted Member 1156

Think that's the issue I have I want scenery, views for miles not some brown and green grass mounds. Maybe I have to high expectations
Interesting point. To me parkland courses are generally just trees and houses as the majority of them tend to be in built up areas (or very close to them). The vast majority of links courses have sea views, often with hills in the background too which IMHO is much more pleasing on the eye.

D

Deleted member 1147

Interesting point. To me parkland courses are generally just trees and houses as the majority of them tend to be in built up areas (or very close to them). The vast majority of links courses have sea views, often with hills in the background too which IMHO is much more pleasing on the eye.

That's one of the reasons I like Kedleston - the only house you see, from the course, is Kedleston Hall.
You are basically playing within the grounds of a country estate.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What type of features do you consider aesthetically pleasing to your eye?
It's difficullt in some ways because of the nature of the course. Most links courses are so appealing because of the impact of the elements on the shot. Good short holes at places like Birkdale or Troon don't need all the steep banking or semi-blind shots to make them a real challenge often just good bunkering and runoff areas.

However, a course like Woburn or Sunningdale benefits from the need to hit a very accurate "normal" shot to an difficult or even hidden pin position.

On balance I prefer the former but trying to play the 17th at Sawgrass or the 12th at Augusta must be real fun.