Stunning hole - yes or no

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Stunning

• Total voters

Wolf

Visit site
I'll admit certainly looks better like that but the point about the original post it's not a stunning golf hole imo.

I just prefer the looks of US style links course like Pebble Beach, Whistling Straights etc, as most UK ones I've visited are all fairly bland and barren. Though I'm spending more time in Ireland at the latter end of this year so who knows maybe then I'll change my mind

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The second picture of RCD, I am copying you on that one as I do not know it, is stunning. Contrasting colours, shaped fairway, the sea, a town in the background. There is shape and form in the view as well as colour. The original picture we are talking about does not have that to my eye, although it does to others.
TBF though, the OP is on a grey day, where as RCD are a nice sunny one, might get a different opinion if it was a sunny day pic.

Personally, i'm with Brian on this, not for me

D

Deleted member 18588

I'll admit certainly looks better like that but the point about the original post it's not a stunning golf hole imo.

I just prefer the looks of US style links course like Pebble Beach, Whistling Straights etc, as most UK ones I've visited are all fairly bland and barren. Though I'm spending more time in Ireland at the latter end of this year so who knows maybe then I'll change my mind

But neither of those two are links courses and away from the seaside holes much of Pebble Beach is pretty bland.

Wolf

Visit site
But neither of those two are links courses and away from the seaside holes much of Pebble Beach is pretty bland.
If you go by official PGA of America website shows them listed as links courses.

But again that's the difference of opinion isn't it, you think it's bland I thinks it's stunning. Just like I think the original pic in the OP does nothing for me aesthetically

D

Deleted member 18588

If you go by official PGA of America website shows them listed as links courses.

But again that's the difference of opinion isn't it, you think it's bland I thinks it's stunning. Just like I think the original pic in the OP does nothing for me aesthetically

Agree it's a matter of opinion and I wouldn't say Pebble is bland, only parts of it are not as special as the holes by the sea.

And, like Sheringham in this country, it is a cliff top course rather than links.

I still wouldn't turn down a game there though if you can arrange a deal on the green-fee 😉

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No from me based purely on the photo in the OP. If I was standing there playing it then that opinion may change. It looks a decent par 3 but in terms of stunning then you'd have to look at maybe the 12th at Augusta or the short par 3 by the sea at Pebble Beach

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stunning would be 70% photography skill and 30% subject.

Anyone can take a picture of a beautiful thing, only an artist can capture that beauty and convey it in a way that evokes such strong emotion.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It's a yes from me, but I've always been partial to courses layed out in dunes, even though I don't get to play them that often. There's just something aesthetically pleasing to me about most courses set out with big dunes.

D

Deleted member 17920

Don't think its a stunning hole, a good links hole for sure.

Now the pics of RCD are just stunning.

This is also a cracker of a stunning links hole

Trump 14th.png