Seen a debate on Twitter about whether this hole is a stunner or not

What do you think

Attachments

• 3130431E-D7B0-40A9-8FDE-1D72C0DE8E9C.jpeg
    3130431E-D7B0-40A9-8FDE-1D72C0DE8E9C.jpeg
    934.6 KB · Views: 216
D

Deleted member 1147

Is the photo taken from the tee/approach shot?

D

Deleted member 21258

I don't think I would use the word stunning with a links hole, so voted no.

Interesting, challenging, bleak, rough, dunes etc, but not stunning.

D

Deleted member 1147

I wouldn't say it's stunning, but I'll bet it's a cracking little hole & very tough to hit that narrow green

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fun but not stunning for me. It has to be aesthetically pleasing to my eye to be stunning and that view leaves me cold. Very much a personal opinion.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Fun but not stunning for me. It has to be aesthetically pleasing to my eye to be stunning and that view leaves me cold. Very much a personal opinion.
What type of features do you consider aesthetically pleasing to your eye?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like colour, I like contrast. I have recently played Gleneagles and loved that (I have just posted some pictures on the review section and thought they were stunning, the holes and views, not the photography). I tend to like parkland and heathland / moorland courses more than links.

I find that picture bland, monotone in colour. Humps of rough grass, more humps of rough grass, a green, humps of rough grass etc. I have no problem in people liking that hole or that course, I am guessing it is Portrush?, but it is not for me.

At the end of the day, it is partly why LP posted the poll isn't it? To see who likes that type of hole / course and who doesn't?

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
100% agree with you LT.

Looks a fun par 3, but I can't say I've ever seen or played a links course that I find stunning to look at, yet I have played many that have been fun and I've enjoyed playing but never have I though they're visually stunning well not UK links courses anyway.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Gonna be different for just about every golfer. I appreciate Carnoustie is a good course, great test but aesthetically it has nothing going for it in my opinion. Similar to Lytham. What a course yet its in the middle of built up housing, something I can't quite block out.

D

Deleted member 15344

100% agree with you LT.

Looks a fun par 3, but I can't say I've ever seen or played a links course that I find stunning to look at, yet I have played many that have been fun and I've enjoyed playing but never have I though they're visually stunning well not UK links courses anyway.

Get yourself to this place

7BE87D7A-A233-412A-96D1-87952454A137.jpeg78F02352-16D6-4A22-B093-B069F6582D30.jpeg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me I would like to play that hole as it's obviously a bit different from the norm. Challenging and you could end up absolutely anywhere presenting a new challenge or laughing at your mate attempting some crazy up and down.

Big yes for me.

Castlerock nine 9 course has something similar where they can practically hide the pin behind a dune which is alot of fun.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it looks like a great hole and happy to put it in the stunning category.

In terms of playability, I'd be concerned that anything long is going to result in a 'good result', i.e. the ball will fall back down onto the green.

Ok, so good fun but not really a fair result compared with someone who hits a nice high wedge that stops dead on the green and gets a similar result as someone who hits a full club too much.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Its a big no from me. There's nothing to the hole that pleases my eye. I'm a links player through and through and would choose links every day and twice on Sunday but that hole wouldn't be on my 18. Where's the pot bunkers and decent size swales?

Its almost American in design, with the amphitheatre mounds around it but... yuk!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I like colour, I like contrast. I have recently played Gleneagles and loved that. I tend to like parkland and heathland / moorland courses more than links.

I find that picture bland, monotone in colour. Humps of rough grass, more humps of rough grass, a green, humps of rough grass etc. I have no problem in people liking that hole or that course, I am guessing it is Portrush?, but it is not for me.

At the end of the day, it is partly why LP posted the poll isn't it? To see who likes that type of hole / course and who doesn't?
Horses for courses indeed. I find some parkland courses 'pretty' but given the choice I would pick a big rolling 'dunesy' links over parkland every day. The pics that LP has just posted of RCD are about as good as it gets in my book. Jacko's point about Lytham is also valid, a stunning course but not the prettiest by a long shot.

An no, it isn't Portrush but I won't spoil it for others by saying which course it is ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The second picture of RCD, I am copying you on that one as I do not know it, is stunning. Contrasting colours, shaped fairway, the sea, a town in the background. There is shape and form in the view as well as colour. The original picture we are talking about does not have that to my eye, although it does to others.