Strong grip question

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I naturally have a strong grip and really struggle to square the face on any club lower than a 9 (i.e. 8,7,6,etc).

This has always (in my 6m of playing golf) caused pretty big hooks because the clubface turns closed at impact.

I've watched a ton of videos and read some articles and forum posts and I'm more confused than ever with what to do.

The obvious choice is to switch to a neutral grip and I bought a training aid to help. I've found the neutral grip has improved my driving but ruined my chipping (lol), and feels very awkward with irons. I understand the latter part is to be expected but it really feels wrong and the swing now feels weird and uncomfortable.

I hear more pros tend to advocate the strong grip these days, so what if my naturally strong grip is "better" for me and I just need to learn how to manipulate the swing or forearm rotation or whatever it might be to better square the face. I guess I am weary of changing grip as it might require a complete swing change, and also lead me to a change that'll screw up my game in the long run.

Do you have any advice on what to do? Had similar issues? And is it ok to have different grip styles for different clubs?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was initially self taught, and had a very strong grip which resulted in big slices, but a good touch around the green. I also had 3 different grips (apparently) depending on club in use.
I had to change my grip to improve, but was worth it.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was initially self taught, and had a very strong grip which resulted in big slices, but a good touch around the green. I also had 3 different grips (apparently) depending on club in use.
I had to change my grip to improve, but was worth it.

Hmmmn I suppose we use a different grip for putting, so why not other club types.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I naturally have a strong grip and really struggle to square the face on any club lower than a 9 (i.e. 8,7,6,etc).

This has always (in my 6m of playing golf) caused pretty big hooks because the clubface turns closed at impact.

I've watched a ton of videos and read some articles and forum posts and I'm more confused than ever with what to do.

The obvious choice is to switch to a neutral grip and I bought a training aid to help. I've found the neutral grip has improved my driving but ruined my chipping (lol), and feels very awkward with irons. I understand the latter part is to be expected but it really feels wrong and the swing now feels weird and uncomfortable.

I hear more pros tend to advocate the strong grip these days, so what if my naturally strong grip is "better" for me and I just need to learn how to manipulate the swing or forearm rotation or whatever it might be to better square the face. I guess I am weary of changing grip as it might require a complete swing change, and also lead me to a change that'll screw up my game in the long run.

Do you have any advice on what to do? Had similar issues? And is it ok to have different grip styles for different clubs?

how strong is the grip hold - is it 'strong' in both hands? - any close-up pics of grip hold shot from face-on?

(obvious answer would be a lesson)

issue with pretty strong grip holds is it makes it necessary to make certain moves with the body - hips have to be open chest shoulders open some - to stop the face closing down & sending the ball a bunch leftfield (rh) if the club (club shaft) is delivered into impact with the norm dynamic lie - this is the ways any tour pro's - elite ams would swing if they used a pretty strong grip hold - & then way they can get good results

lot of index players that struggle with a strong grip hold (often times with the handle too much in the palm - as that 'feels' as if it's a ways to generate power) because they then either don't have flexibility to use the body to 'square' (not close it down) the face up or they don't realize that's what is required
the 'intuitive' thing then most index players do is deliver the club into impact with a very high hands/handle (so ways more vertical shaft) to stop the face closing down - & over doing this plus dragging the handle to target as they do this often times then leads to blocks or push slices

as the strong grip is giving you issues so the body motion needed to go with it does/has not developed naturally - then probably not really 'the grip' for you

chipping/pitching with a strong grip means it's real difficult to get any height on any shots -so shots that have to be hit 'over' trouble usually are an issue - but then the set-up & ball position to get any decent results is' tailored' to that strong grip hold - so then a more neutral grip for short game shots would most likely need the ball position & set-up for chips/pitches altered a bunch

easiest quickest ways to a remedy is a series of lessons (assuming '6m' relates to months playing - then better now before you develop even more habits that are goin to give you more problems)

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

The best option for you is to go and book a block of lessons and get tuition tailored to meet your needs, taking advice from strangers on a forum who have never seen you swing a club, what ball flight it produces and when you have never met is a waste of time. A good swing starts with a good grip, but there are many very good golfers with what would be termed a bad grip but the likelihood is they have played that way since childhood and built a swing around that 'fault'. If your an adult taking up the game, get lessons it's the best way forward

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You could look at it another way.

There are literally millions of golfers with strong grips playing decent golf. Pros and ams alike.

If you are 40 and just taking up the game. Learning how to use your strong grip is probably easier in the long run than learning a new grip.

Evem moving you grip position a fraction can be very difficult, feel awkward and be more hassle than its worth.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The best option for you is to go and book a block of lessons and get tuition tailored to meet your needs, taking advice from strangers on a forum who have never seen you swing a club, what ball flight it produces and when you have never met is a waste of time. A good swing starts with a good grip, but there are many very good golfers with what would be termed a bad grip but the likelihood is they have played that way since childhood and built a swing around that 'fault'. If your an adult taking up the game, get lessons it's the best way forward

But I hear so many bad reports about lessons it's put me right off! 😖

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know a Pro who won at least two Vardon Trophies with a four knuckle grip.
We shared the same coach as youngsters.
The SGU wanted him 'sorted' but the coach disagreed quite strongly.

Later in his career he did a Faldo like change and had a second career which included a victory over Nicklaus in the Ryder Cup.

So OP......yes and yes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate of mine very strong grip plays off 16 decent golfer but if he sorted his grip he would be single figures.
He hits two or three hooks a round and drops so many shots
He is similar to you doesn't want to struggle while changing grip
But he struggles now on three to four holes anyway as he can't fade it to save his life.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mate of mine very strong grip plays off 16 decent golfer but if he sorted his grip he would be single figures.
He hits two or three hooks a round and drops so many shots
He is similar to you doesn't want to struggle while changing grip
But he struggles now on three to four holes anyway as he can't fade it to save his life.

Its quite possible to hit functional fades using an uber strong grip.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Its quite possible to hit functional fades using an uber strong grip.
I often have a laugh to myself when I play with guys with strong grips and they have to hit a high pitch over a bunker or even a bunker shot, it's quite funny and no matter how much you tell them they never change and they struggle on that's why it's so funny. No I won't listen to the scratch golfer telling me about my grip and why I can't hit these types of shots I'll do it my way and struggle on not getting any better and being terrified of theses shots lol

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I often have a laugh to myself when I play with guys with strong grips and they have to hit a high pitch over a bunker or even a bunker shot, it's quite funny and no matter how much you tell them they never change and they struggle on that's why it's so funny. No I won't listen to the scratch golfer telling me about my grip and why I can't hit these types of shots I'll do it my way and struggle on not getting any better and being terrified of theses shots lol

Did 12 holes today using a neutral grip with driver and irons, and didn't have one bad hook. I tended to be maybe 80% neutral if you know what I mean.

Thing was I was still crap with wedges using a neutral grip so I switched back to a strong grip for the 56* and 60* wedges and was able to hit them really well with good height.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Takes quite a bit more than just casual advice from a better golfer to think about implementing a new grip.