Strange eurocylinder lock

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Any experts on euro locks?

I'm trying to replace the eurocylinder on a upvc door, but instead of a long machine screw holding the existing one in, it has a very short grub screw that seems to go into some kind of threaded insert/spigot.

My guess is that the spigot is screwed into the cylinder and the grub screw is just there to attach it to the multipoint plate. And presumably I need a special tool to remove the spigot.

I would remove the multipoint locking plate to get at the spigot, but of course I can't do that until the cylinder is removed, and the cylinder won't come out while the spigot is attached!

Has anyone come across this kind of arrangement and have any advice? I'm loath to call out a locksmith for what should be a simple job.

RichA

Visit site
From memory, it's just the long bolt that you need to remove, but you also need to turn the mechanism part way with the key to get the barrel out of the door.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
From memory, it's just the long bolt that you need to remove, but you also need to turn the mechanism part way with the key to get the barrel out of the door.
The problem is that the way this existing cylinder is installed doesn't use a long bolt. It has a short grub screw instead.
Got a photo?
Here's the grub screw:
IMG_20230819_123244847~2.jpg
And here's the threaded spigot it goes in:
IMG_20230819_123149339~2.jpg
I suspect there's some sort of special tool required to remove this spigot. But I also get the feeling that the outside diameter of the spigot might be bigger than the hole in the plate, so don't see how it can be extracted.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The grub screw you’ve removed is to hold the gearbox together.
The screw that usually holds the cylinder in place is a longer m5.
The key usually needs turning to five past seven ish to slide the cylinder out.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the spigot at this level on the barrel, really low...
View attachment 49063
Funny you should mention that. I finally noticed that the spigot was too high and realised it wasn't anything to do with retaining the cylinder. Underneath was a hole (you can see it in the photo I posted in an earlier reply), which turned out to have a recessed Allen bolt holding the cylinder. I think perhaps it's an old design that nobody uses these days.

Anyhow, once I found the Allen bolt, replacing the cylinder was easy, as per normal. The only puzzling thing was that the handle wouldn't lift up to deadlock. I then realised that I hadn't screwed the Allen bolt in far enough and it was stopping a shutter coming down.