Strange club rule?

Square ball

Visit site
First post, please bear with me.
Club championship is decided by 4 best gross scores over the entire season. The scores are tied over the season by 2 players. How do you decide the tie?
The club have chosen to take the rounds based on lowest numerical score first and done a count back across all 4. The rounds were not used On the same day as the nature of the competition means that would be highly unlikely, does this seem a fair resolution?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Regardless of fairness the result will be decided on whatever process the committee determined & outlined in the club champ, conditions of competition

Might be wrong but I get the feeling reading between the lines that the possibility of a tie maybe wasn’t foreseen and a tie-break method wasn’t decided before the comp (season) started and they’re only now coming up with a solution for a tie-break, that really means whatever method they choose now will be unfair (at least to the loser)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
First post, please bear with me.
Club championship is decided by 4 best gross scores over the entire season. The scores are tied over the season by 2 players. How do you decide the tie?
The club have chosen to take the rounds based on lowest numerical score first and done a count back across all 4. The rounds were not used On the same day as the nature of the competition means that would be highly unlikely, does this seem a fair resolution?

First up, I'd say that that is a fairly poor method of deciding the club championship and if someone's best round is on a day with poor conditions, they are not going to be as well rewarded.

However if that's the rules, then not much you can do. It wouldn't be right to change the rules now, even if this made it somewhat fairer.

But you can surely make changes for next year.

Most Club Champs will incorporate a mixture of stroke-play qualifier followed by match-play finals.
Or at the very least ensure Club Champs are maybe best 3 scores out of 5 specific monthly comps - so it is a bit more specific, rather than best 4 scores over the season. This format gives a reward to someone playing absolutely every comp, including midweeks (when set ups are often easier) and is more likely to get favourable conditions than someone who can only play a portion of the weekend comps.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...or - as ours - very simple - our Club Champion is player with best aggregate gross over two rounds played on consecutive weekend days - with a cut after the first round with players going out on on second day in reverse order pairs - with Day #1 leaders going out last. Club Champ is the best player that weekend - with same playing conditions applying to all players over the two days - I find the idea that the club champ is determined as a result of rounds over a season a bit odd tbh. Separately we have a scratch knock out cup - and not surprisingly that is usually won by one of the contenders for the Club Champs.

We also have a Masters medal - played at Masters-time. Field is limited to the winners of all of the previous season's medals. Quite a prestigious comp to win.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always thought club champs were medal rounds (whether that's 18 or 36 holes) or a medal qualifier and then knockouts. Is the scenario in the OP more aki to some sort of order of merit if its best scores over the season?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
My view to actually answer your question is that if there isn’t going to be an 18 hole playoff, then the winner should either be the person who has the lowest round out of their 4, or you look at who has the lowest 5th round...

D

Deleted member 21258

I would go for the lowest round out of the 4, or the lowest average round based on the 4 rounds.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best 4 all Season is closer to being an OOM than a Club Championship.... fairest solution IMO would be a Play-off.. medal or Match-play.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A rather bizarre methodology for a club championship, but hey, ho...

I'd make the suggestion of whoever had the lowest gross wins - but given that "qualifying" rounds aren't necessarily played on the same days, I'd do it on the basis of lowest gross as compared to CSS. That would seem fairest to me. (If that doesn't split them then use second lowest score and if necessary, third lowest - but that's only "countback" in a different guise, which doesn't really seem right for a club championship)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stupid situation - no terms of competition for the Club Championship.
This year - sudden death gross hole score
Next year - get it sorted now. 36 holes gross on one day.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Certainly TofCs exist - but simply inadequate/poorly thought through!
Also not certain 36 hole on one day is great either, but it's an option. I prefer it over 2 weekends.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This year - sudden death gross hole score
Next year - get it sorted now. 36 holes gross on one day.

We can't decide whether it's best to have it all on one day - or over two. We have played morning and afternoon in the past - but recently decided to put it over a Saturday and a Sunday as we play the handicap 'championship' at the same time and want as many members as possible playing on the Saturday. Of course it ties up the weekend - but seems to make the comp a little bit special.

Swango1980

Visit site
Probably the worst way to find a Club Champion that I have ever heard of, in my humble opinion. It is very biased towards golfers who play in many competitions. How worthy does the club champion feel, after they have played 15-20 competitions in a year and beat someone by a shot, who only played 4-5 competitions in a year? At least your club champ never has to deal with the stress on the day of trying to maintain a good score coming down the closing stretch of holes :)

Swango1980

Visit site
We can't decide whether it's best to have it all on one day - or over two. We have played morning and afternoon in the past - but recently decided to put it over a Saturday and a Sunday as we play the handicap 'championship' at the same time and want as many members as possible playing on the Saturday. Of course it ties up the weekend - but seems to make the comp a little bit special.
We play Saturday and Sunday. The advantage is, on Day 1 go out in handicap order, lowest first. Day 2 we then go out in gross score order, lowest scores last. It means the leaders are playing together on last day, which is stressful but makes it special. I was at another club a few years ago who played 2 rounds in one day. I hated it. It was about 35 degrees celsius and I played with one of the slowest players, having to let a group through. After the first round, we HAD to tee off for the second round 20 minutes later. No food at all. It wasn't golf, it was simply a test of stamina and attrition. In the second round, there was a good chance the leaders were in different groups, so in some respects took the pressure off to some extent, or at least meant they had to play blind.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly TofCs exist - but simply inadequate/poorly thought through!
Also not certain 36 hole on one day is great either, but it's an option. I prefer it over 2 weekends.
Agree although my golf is good enough to win .
My age /fitness would not get me around 36 holes in one day now.