Stop topping the ball

diamond200

Visit site
As a beginner to the game of golf i have had several lessons, but now seem to be topping the ball constantly. Any tips would be great.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Keep your head down, keep your head down, keep your head down.

This is what I tell myself every time I'm preparing for a swing. I'm a beginner too and it's the natural instinct to follow the ball immediately, which causes you to lift the body at impact.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Keep your head down. Is probably the worses advice any golfer can be given. First you need to know why/how you top the ball. Do you keep all your weight on the back foot? So hitting the ball on the up and just catching the top off it. Or do you sway so far forward on the downswing your body is infront of the ball. So just catching the top of the ball because your hitting infront of it. The most likely is you sway on the backswing then your body stays there on the downswing so the bottom of the swing is behind the ball, you then catch the ball on the up and only hit the top of it. Do you hit a lot of fat shot too?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly up there with the worst imo.

Aim left if you slice ranks pretty high on my list too!

Yes that to. People love these sound bites don't they? Keep your head still/or still as poss, would be ok though? As for the slice one, that would turn the ball into a boomerang, save a lot of walking though??