Stiff Shaft??

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got fitted yesterday for some clubs yesterday and it was recommended I go for a stiff shaft. I usually play regular but my swing speeds were quite consistent at 82/83mph and the fitter reckons I should go stiff for swings above 80mph. Coupled with a less forgiving club head (mp53) I fear it could spell havoc when things go wrong in the middle of a round. However, I did hit the clubs well got an extra 10yds consistently to my current clubs so based on that I should be OK... Or will I?

Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's not just about swing speed.
Did you have a go with the Mizzy DNA gizmo?
If it spat out stiff shafts as the first option then it's probable that you do.
Was the swing with a 6 iron?

My speed came out at 84 and the DNA gizmo reckoned DGS300's - it wasn't wrong.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shafts vary quite a bit and stiff in one brand may be much stiffer or softer than in another brand, so saying 'stiff' alone really doesn't tell us enough without more info on the shaft. The NS Pro, for example is a good bot softer than the KBS Tour, and the Rifle is somewhere in between.

The other main influence is tempo. If you have a quick tempo (think Nick Price or Tom Watson rather than Ernie Els or Fred Couples), then you generally need a stiffer shaft. Using a stiffer, heavier shaft to help a pull is often done by good fitters, so I think you are probably getting good advice.

On the Mizuno Swing DNA system, a swing speed of 83 mph coupled with a medium (or faster) tempo will suggest a stiff shaft. But you can also have different shades in between, and get a shaft partway between regular and stiff. This can be achieved by hard or soft stepping the shafts, and Mizuno will do that for you as part of the CF.

The 53s are a pretty forgiving club considering they are good enough for Tour pros to use.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Question then for Ethan

I have Tileist AP2's fitted with Project X 5.5 shafts - where does that lie in stiffness ratings in your opinion?

Thanks

Chris

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Question then for Ethan

I have Tileist AP2's fitted with Project X 5.5 shafts - where does that lie in stiffness ratings in your opinion?

Thanks

Chris

This is in no way a replacement for Ethan's answer, but when I was changing my PX's I'm sure I remember someone saying (probably Ethan) that S300 was roughly PX 5.3.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
PX 5.5 is a bit firmer than TT DG S300. Here is a useful chart of comparative stiffness, based on shaft frequency.

On the chart ss means soft-stepped, hs hard stepped.

Stiffness is not the only factor to consider. The launch characteristics of different shafts differ, and the weight and feel of the shaft have an influence too.

Attachments

• Iron shaft FCM chart.jpg
    Iron shaft FCM chart.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 27

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Many thanks Ethan - sorry it took a while but I have only just caught up with this posting following the changes

Chris