Stiff or reg for a beginner

pudzy67

Visit site
I'm new to the world of golf started a few months ago I purchased a set of dunlop TP12's and can see improvement in my game already, although still having trouble with the driver so I've been looking into the cobra range of drivers and great detail into the S3 adjustable to try and gain better connection and counter act my slice with the much larger sweet spot. Anyway I was wondering what shaft to go for is there any great gain in the stiff or is it designed for the better player?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
It all depends on your swing speed. The faster you swing= the stiffer the shaft. Best bet is to get yourself down to a golf shop where you can try all the drivers you want. See which suits you the best. Go with an open mind, as to make and model. You don't have to buy from there. Just find out whats best for you. Then look around to see if you can find one to the same spec, secondhand. The for sale section here is a good place to start for bargains.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
best thing to cure a slice is a lesson.... and sooo much cheaper than a new big dog...

a draw driver is basically putting a plaster on it to stop it bleeding for a bit but it will carry on (trust me i got one)
a lesson will remove the infection giving you a permanent cure...

i waited over 18months - 2years for a lesson and too be fair i wish i got them the first time i ever picked up clubs. Ive only had a handfull of lessons now but my slice is only there now when i am trying to out hit my self and also my iron shots are alot cleaner

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its all about playing with clubs you feel most comfortable with.

I recently had my first custom fit for new irons. My swing speed was measured with a 7 iron, I was consistently swinging at around 85-87mph. I was given the option of a stiff shaft. Didn't like the feel on impact, plus my differences in distances were not that far off from each other. Stayed with a reg shaft.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been looking into the cobra range of drivers and great detail into the S3 adjustable to try and gain better connection and counter act my slice with the much larger sweet spot. Anyway I was wondering what shaft to go for is there any great gain in the stiff or is it designed for the better player?

Learning to play golf is a bit like driving a car round an unfamiliar city......you can drive round for hours/days/weeks and eventualy you might find where you want to go.
Or, you can ask for directions when you first arrive. The longer you wait to ask for directions, the more lost you might be, the harder it will be to get back on track.

As you are new to golf, the sooner you learn this the better.
A slice is normally caused by an incorrect swing path and a clubface pointing in the wrong direction.
Buying a new driver WILL NOT CHANGE THIS
To find out how to fix these issues, you have a choice of

• trawling the internet and trying to fix it yourself
  • posting a video of your swing on here
  • or pay £20- £30 and have a lesson
And welcome to the forum

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a quick one.

I tried the S3 last week (11.5) and to be completely honest, I didn't get on with it at all. Not only is it deep faced (less wide) but also the adjustable face lark is just a smokescreen. I reckon if you are good enough to use that club, you won't be needing tweaking unless you are v.v. consistent.

I did however find a club that suited me, and it's "in waiting" whilst I get over my recent swing hurdles. I've tried it out (sorry coach!) and it's a beauty.

If I may offer a non-expert bit of advice, wider is better then narrower - more chance of a decent return off-centre.

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would entirely agree with getting lessons from a pro.

Before lessons I couldn't break 100
After 3 lessons and 6 months, consistently shooting in the 80's

I didn't change equipment or anything, which goes to show...

pudzy67

Visit site
Just a quick one.

I tried the S3 last week (11.5) and to be completely honest, I didn't get on with it at all. Not only is it deep faced (less wide) but also the adjustable face lark is just a smokescreen. I reckon if you are good enough to use that club, you won't be needing tweaking unless you are v.v. consistent.

I did however find a club that suited me, and it's "in waiting" whilst I get over my recent swing hurdles. I've tried it out (sorry coach!) and it's a beauty.

If I may offer a non-expert bit of advice, wider is better then narrower - more chance of a decent return off-centre.

I see that is the 1st bad review I've seen on the S3, I was under the impression that with the larger sweet spot it would be easier to strike than my Dunlop TP12. Did your game just not match up with this club?

pudzy67

Visit site
I would entirely agree with getting lessons from a pro.

Before lessons I couldn't break 100
After 3 lessons and 6 months, consistently shooting in the 80's

I didn't change equipment or anything, which goes to show...

That is encouraging on my behalf what did your pro have you doing lesson wise?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see that is the 1st bad review I've seen on the S3, I was under the impression that with the larger sweet spot it would be easier to strike than my Dunlop TP12. Did your game just not match up with this club?

No, my game did not match up with this club. I hit the ball probably 60% out the middle, 35% out the heel and very occasionally off the toe. It's called inconsistency, and if my swing settles down (which it probably will, but could take 2 weeks or 2 months) then I would expect to do better.

The point is, you can believe the marketing propaganda, but essentially it's not a very forgiving club.

Around the sweet spot, it might be OK, but

"The true sweet spot on a driver is the size of a pin point and simply CAN'T be made any bigger. There is only one true sweet spot on any driver where you will get maximum ball speed and no twisting of the driver head at impact. Missing this spot by the tiniest amount imparts sidespin on the ball and costs you ball speed and distance."

My personal belief is that inconsistent ball hitters will do better with wider useable area. For example, I went from a Wilson Fybrid 5 wood with a deep face to a Mizuno JPX 800 5 wood with a wide face. The difference is really noticeable..... It's not about the good shots, it's about the bad ones.

tedrodgers

Visit site
as a fellow beginner i just wanted to weigh in on the lesson suggestion.

DO IT NOW! :)

I used to play as a kid and a handful of times during my 20's. Im now 34 and started playing again 2 years ago, I spent the first year playing ok but struggled with any kind of consistancy on my shots and no proper idea about if i was doing anything correctly or not.

I had one lesson at the end of my first year which was a present from the other half and it was the best 20 quid ever for my game.

He basically recorded my swing and grip. showed it to me on his ipad and then showed it next to a video of himself, so we could compare me vs how it should be. I think he uses vgolf app? not sure.

anyway, in the first lesson all he did was correct my grip. I tried a few shots and it felt awful and wierd. But he said go away and practice. I did and after only a few trips to the range something just clicked and I started hitting much better shots. We went away on a golfing weekend near manchester not long after and I was suddenly by far the most consistant driver off the tee.

I have recently had another lesson and again all we've done is work on my stance/posture to make it more defined. Again it felt wierd at first but I went to the range last night and finally hit some beauty drives. He's given me 3 weeks to nail that and i cant wait for the next lesson!

the only other advice would be get on the range, practice , practice and more practice.

I realise im rambling now so get those lessons booked asap.

cheers

Ted

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As an owner of the S3 I find that it is not as forgiving as I had hoped.When I hit it well it does go for miles,but I don't hit it well that often! Lessons first,new driver second methinks!