Stepping out on back swing.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im not sure where this has come from but over the last two games my playing partners have commented than on odd random shots my right foot steps back on my back swing., (right handed player)

when i was a junior i went through a stage of stepping with the front foot, but at the time i was 23/24hc and the pro put it down to too much weight transfer to the back foot making the front foot light.

Has anyone experienced this before, and more importantly any known causes for this.

What is remarkable is that when i do it the ball still flys straight.:whistle:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im not sure where this has come from but over the last two games my playing partners have commented than on odd random shots my right foot steps back on my back swing., (right handed player)

when i was a junior i went through a stage of stepping with the front foot, but at the time i was 23/24hc and the pro put it down to too much weight transfer to the back foot making the front foot light.

Has anyone experienced this before, and more importantly any known causes for this.

What is remarkable is that when i do it the ball still flys straight.:whistle:

The only way you coud move your right foot would be because most of your weight is on your left side.
So basically opposite to your previous problem.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I would imagine it would be a setup fault that is making you 'feel' like you need to make an adjustment, shoulders or hips are misaligned, or you're standing too tall.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would imagine it would be a setup fault that is making you 'feel' like you need to make an adjustment, shoulders or hips are misaligned, or you're standing too tall.

now we could be getting somewhere, in my last lesson the pro tried to get me further away from the ball, and more angle in the spine i think that was the term)

.... didnt want to say bent over as its a bit....oooo'er.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I wouldn't have thought it was that you were bent too far forwards..... but it 'could' be that you have too much weight on your toes... ALTERNATIVELY it could be that your weight is too much on your heels and you slide your foot back in an effort to get it MORE on your toes :p

Something at address must be making you feel uncomfortable (subconsciously perhaps). I'd go with something not being aligned properly (hips closed to shoulders) or something like that. Can't really tell by sitting on a PC :)

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Around the top of the back swing, and I'd estimate my back foot moves backwards by 6-8 inches

After a bit of experimentation I find I can move my right foot if it is square, if I point it out at around 30 degrees it is very difficult. Worth a try.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tried and alot better, also found it helps with hip turn, now if I could just get this release right!

Try a smooth backswing, easy transition then a very gradual increase so that you reach full speed around 6 inches past impact. Lunging down from the top tends to kill speed at the ball.