Steel or graphite irons???

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi all im thinking of getting myself a set of Taylor Made Burner 2.0 Irons but the question is what shafts should I go for???

I really like the look of the graphite shafts and have hit one in graphite but im unsure of the main difference's between the two when it comes to irons???

Any help will be appreciated ;-)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Graphite can be better for an older player, slower swing speed, etc. Steel for a more aggressive swing. More consistent too. Up to individual choice.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I dont have a fast swing speed or agressive but that may change as ive only been playing for 8 or so months. Think I might have a go of the steel and see where I go from there.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its a bit of a personal thing but nearly all tour players use steel (KJ Choi used graphite for a while).

Graphite shafts are quite a bit lighter hence the reasoning that they favour an older player.

Either way, you are likely to spend serious bucks so go get fitted and try both.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have used both graphite and steel in the past. I was using graphite when I went for my Mizuno fitting a few years ago and it was proved that the dispersion rates were better with the steel shafts I tried than it was with the graphite I was using at the time, so I swapped back to steel. I had steel in my i15's and got on with them ok.
I have just bought some new irons and have gone back to graphite. I'm not a very powerful swinger of the club and I think the lighter weight of the shafts will help me get through the ball a little better as I can feel the weight in the clubhead easier. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it :p
Also, a little weight is saved if I do end up having to carry my bag as opposed to using my trolley.
If you did go the graphite route I'd recommend getting a set of "graphite friendly" iron head covers to help protect the shafts from bag rub.

Last edited:

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
I've wondered this too,I have big berthas with graphite shafts. I'm a coffin dodger with a high h/c, a few weeks ago following a lesson with the club pro, I mentioned that I may change clubs soon, he came back with "If you do I'd go for steel shafts next time as it's eaiser to hit down on the ball with steel" He didn't expand on that but I got the distinct impression he wasn't a graphite fan. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have graphite shafts on my cobra irons and find them very easy to hit with, did try steel but found I was loosing distance.

I have not got the fastest of swings, and been told I'm getting on a bit (late 40's) so I felt I would take what ever help I could for my swing, got to say I hit the graphites about 10 -15 yrds further than steel.

Dellboy

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have graphite shafts on my cobra irons and find them very easy to hit with, did try steel but found I was loosing distance.
Dellboy

Got to be honest, (I did post this on another thread to do with shafts), I'm finding the regular graphites fitted to my new S3's to be a tad firm when compared to the regular steel shafts I had in my previous Ping i15's.
A mate of mine has had a bosh with them too and he also seems to think they are firmer than his regular steel.
So graphite is not necessarily "softer".

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The graphite shafts in these irons are 65g and the steel shafts 85g, so both are pretty light and the inference is not just in weight. The graphite shafts will have a higher torque and are likely to be softer in the tip.

Smiffy's experience is unusual, although it depends on the shaft (which I think is Aldila NV in his case), but graphite shafts fitted as standard to irons are almost always lighter and are generally softer compared with steel, even if both are 'Regular' or 'Stiff'.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Errrr..that sounds like bullshit to me.
But what do I know????

I think the person may mean that the steel is more stable in the tip and so it is easier to keep the head on the ball compared to the garphie which wants to 'lift its head'. It might also feel less prone to snapping if you catch them a bit heavy.

But probably BS x 2.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Update: Bought the Burner 2.0's in graphite 5-SW (Reg) from DG at the sale price :)

Paid for custom fit incase changes need to be made after a few rounds....

Cant have them till XMAS though :-(