staying focused

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been having lots of personal (family) issues in the last few months which has really affected my game.

The last few rounds have shown signs of improvement, but I'm looking at suggestions on how to keep my focus, especially after a poor shot/hole.

Playing with Region3 in an open competition tomorrow so will be under pressure to perform.

any advice welcome

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You need to learn how to blank it all out as you walk onto the tee or up to the ball. Try and think of an imaginary 'force field' around you when you hit your shot so everything is blanked outside it. You need to get into the 'Zone' to focus all your attention to the target and the shot you wish to play.

It's something you have to work on but it can be done.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm looking at suggestions on how to keep my focus, especially after a poor shot/hole.

Playing with Region3 in an open competition tomorrow so will be under pressure to perform.

any advice welcome

The thing is, you only have to focus for 30 seconds at a time. When you're not playing a shot the ONLY thing related to your current round you should think about (if you have to) is your next shot, but even better to think about your summer holiday or what you're going to have for dinner.

When you are playing a shot the ONLY thing you can think about is the shot you're about to play.
NOT that you need to get it close to make a par.
NOT that if you finish par bogey it'll be your best ever score.
NOT that if you hadn't hit a bad drive you wouldn't be in this mess.
etc, etc.

To paraphrase from a book...
You play your best shots when body and mind are synchronised. You body can't jump into the past or future so the only way that can happen is if your mind is in the present.

Yep, stand back and watch him shoot under his h/cap :D

It's getting more and more difficult each week James :eek:
Your prediction of me giving you shots is getting closer, not that you need them. ;)