Staycation

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some of you youthful types may not be old enough to remember that holidays for most people did not involve travelling outside the country. Heading to a B&B at the seaside was considered exotic and a real treat.

For me a staycation is staying at home and having a few day trips. Going to Blackpool, Rhyl, the New Forest, Cornwall etc is a holiday, just a domestic one.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
A staycation for me means a holiday in the UK.
We are going on a cruise next week, Greenock, Belfast, Southampton, Portland then Liverpool.
Looking forward to it.
Any must excursions at these destinations great fully received, got a 10 and 2 year old in tow as well ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are going on a cruise next week, Greenock, Belfast, Southampton, Portland then Liverpool.
Looking forward to it.
Any must excursions at these destinations great fully received, got a 10 and 2 year old in tow as well ?
Sounds more like a dare than a holiday which ones can you step on sure and come out alive.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking forward to it.
On a possibly more helpful note than my previous post, noting that you have young children.
I don't know what the excursions offered are but I do know the area round Greenock pretty well.
Greenock itself is not a town with many obvious attractions but the Firth of Clyde is lovely when the weather is good.
The Isle of Bute is a very pleasant place a short ferry ride from Wemyss Bay just down the coast.
The Cowal peninsula over the water from Greenock is also pleasant with attractive botanical gardens a few miles inland.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some of you youthful types may not be old enough to remember that holidays for most people did not involve travelling outside the country. Heading to a B&B at the seaside was considered exotic and a real treat.

For me a staycation is staying at home and having a few day trips. Going to Blackpool, Rhyl, the New Forest, Cornwall etc is a holiday, just a domestic one.
A week in Butlins Bognor was the highlight of my summer back in the day, we went seven years in a row, it really was Hi Di Hi stuff.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
A week in Butlins Bognor was the highlight of my summer back in the day, we went seven years in a row, it really was Hi Di Hi stuff.

One of my sons friends gets taken to Butlins in Skeggy for 2 weeks every summer. He's 11 and never been anywhere else on holiday.

The lads dad is in his early 50s. And has been there ever summer since he can remember, and has also never been anywhere else on holiday. They have only ever had a few overnight stays anywhere else.

I could see the point if it was cheap, but its bloody expensive. There is so much of the world to see, it boggles my mind why someone would go back to Butlins after going there once.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my sons friends gets taken to Butlins in Skeggy for 2 weeks every summer. He's 11 and never been anywhere else on holiday.

The lads dad is in his early 50s. And has been there ever summer since he can remember, and has also never been anywhere else on holiday. They have only ever had a few overnight stays anywhere else.

I could see the point if it was cheap, but its bloody expensive. There is so much of the world to see, it boggles my mind why someone would go back to Butlins after going there once.

Some people don't like the unknown. You just know your man has pie on a Tuesday, fish and chips on a Friday etc and has been in the same job since school (probably the same job his dad did!)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My family always got a fortnight at Butlins Minehead every year and loved it.

My son now takes his family to Bognor once a year.

They reckon it has now become very much a young families venue rather than the whole family regardless of age.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

It boggles my mind why anyone would go there once, never mind a return visit!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It boggles my mind why anyone would go there once, never mind a return visit!

From the sound of it you have never been to Butlins at any age.

I have been going for most of my life.

features have included
Swimming pools, darts halls, snooker tables, ten pin bowling lanes, bowls, badminton, table tennis, rowing lakes, water skiing, funfares, go kart tracks, golf driving range, silly putting. Organised games optional cricket, basket ball. football.
Free cinema showing latest films, a variety of evening entertainment to suit all ages, disco for the teens, ball room, dancing for the oldies, variety shows for all ages and top name acts for some shows, theatre.
Free nursery if you want to leave the kids and go out, kids clubs for the same, kids only entertainment venues.

and of course Bingo

Sadly most of this has now gone.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Remember Butlitz at Skeggy way back in 64. It must have been decent as I remember so much of it, even though it was in black and white. Went up market in about 70, and went to Pontins. Seemed smarter but, sadly, not as lively.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
From the sound of it you have never been to Butlins at any age.

I have been going for most of my life.

features have included
Swimming pools, darts halls, snooker tables, ten pin bowling lanes, bowls, badminton, table tennis, rowing lakes, water skiing, funfares, go kart tracks, golf driving range, silly putting. Organised games optional cricket, basket ball. football.
Free cinema showing latest films, a variety of evening entertainment to suit all ages, disco for the teens, ball room, dancing for the oldies, variety shows for all ages and top name acts for some shows, theatre.
Free nursery if you want to leave the kids and go out, kids clubs for the same, kids only entertainment venues.

and of course Bingo

Sadly most of this has now gone.

My reply was tongue in cheek - apologies if it didn’t come across that way. We actually went several times when the kids were much younger. There were few better places to allow them to let off steam and have fun, allowing me and Mrs BB to kick back and relax.

Far easier than trying to keep teenagers entertained!