Starting them young

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, my 4 and a half year old lad has taken a bit of interest in hitting a golf ball. He has a mini 9 iron we got him from Decathlon and I took him to the driving range for the first time today.

Of course he’s got no interest in holding the club properly or any technique, but any pointers on how to keep him engaged and when I should start to try and teach him the basics (or rather have Someone who knows what they’re talking about teach him ?)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do any of your local clubs have junior group coaching?
Ours does. I don’t know the cost but it is well supported and in my 30+ years at the club it has produced some very good golfers. I have partnered a few of them in club scratch matches.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
My boys started playing at age 3 and a half & my youngest is who is now 5 absolutely love the game, my eldest enjoys it but not quite as much as his brother.

As others have said get them into a junior group coaching if possible, my club has one in the summer & my boys both go to it

I also have a cheap PRGR launch monitor that measures ball speed, clubhead speed & distance & my boys love seeing how far they can hit the ball and beat their ball speed records, it keeps them interested for quite a long time. My youngest hit over a hundred balls on Saturday trying to beat his record using the monitor.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
My boys started playing at age 3 and a half & my youngest is who is now 5 absolutely love the game, my eldest enjoys it but not quite as much as his brother.

As others have said get them into a junior group coaching if possible, my club has one in the summer & my boys both go to it

I also have a cheap PRGR launch monitor that measures ball speed, clubhead speed & distance & my boys love seeing how far they can hit the ball and beat their ball speed records, it keeps them interested for quite a long time. My youngest hit over a hundred balls on Saturday trying to beat his record using the monitor.

Cheers. Our local(ish) range has trackman installed on every bay. It's bloody great! although some of his shots are questionable, he does like the fact it shows him how far it goes when he does hit a good one.

So hopefully that stands us in good stead for when we go.