Start the backswing

seasidehacker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just wanted to know how people start their back swings. I have read a lot of conflicting info regarding one piece take away, hands first etc etc

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as i can tell i push off my left foot / toes ,

My advice (FWIW) , find something repeatable that works & stick with it, try not get hung up on the mechanics ..

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me on a good day its all coming away together for a one piece take away. Hands and arms, left shoulder left hip.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

My advice (FWIW) , find something repeatable that works & stick with it, try not get hung up on the mechanics ..

Very sensible! Though I try to 'keep the triangle' of the One-piece-takeaway for quite a while. Fewer moving parts to co-ordinate that way.

It's not the back-swing that's all-important, though it certainly makes a contribution to the rhythm and balance of the overall swing!

Last edited:

seasidehacker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just trying to get in the best position to start the downswing. Really want to get some acceleration through the ball and gain some more yards

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I try to always start my take away by using my shoulders instead of hands/arms, find it helps me keep the triangle and lets me get into a better position before starting the downswing.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
at address there should be an angle formed to the back of your left hand to forearm, that angle needs to be kept intact until the hands get to roundabout hip height (when the hands then start to 'set' - left thumb/hand set upwards -doesn't roll over any).

best ways to keep that lh angle is to move the arm 'triangle' just by turning the whole chest/shoulders. takeaway + backswing is a turn there should be no lateral movement to the right away from target.

best ways to achieve this 'connected' arms/chest/shoulder turn is to be aware of a light pressure between the upper inside parts of both arms to each side of the chest wall until the hands reach around that setting hip height.

put a club/alignment stick off your right toes that's parallel to your target line, & if you got the above 'connected takeaway' down good when your club is 1st horizontal to the ground it also should be parallel & pretty much over the top of the one on the ground.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Funny enough I totally agree. I posted my swing a few weeks ago, in truth more of a drill I was doing, and I've stuck with it and on Saturday shot my best ever round whilst doing it. Ok, it's not text book but at the moment it's working !

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At the moment, the start of my backswing is initiated by everything from my right shoulder downwards moving about 8 or 9 inches towards the clubhouse (professionals call it a "sway :mad:). This is then followed by an almighty lunge from the top to try to get back to the ball, usually failing and hitting the ground about 2 inches behind it.
The ones that I do make contact with either squirt out low and right with absolutely no power, or move about 8 feet straight ahead, usually overtaken by a big clod of earth and turf.....and then the club in a whizzing "tomahawk" type of flight.
I am not in a happy place with my game at the moment.
Cooden's practice ground beckons. And possibly a couple of lesson.
Who'd have thought it.
:(

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
From John Jacobs' "Play Better Golf", 50 years old & still one of the best instruction books out. " Start the backswing by turning the right shoulder away from the ball" He goes on to say that halfway back the wrists will want to break - let them. This gets you to the top, then you just turn everything back hard to the ball. So simple.

I bought the book about 30 years ago when I realised I'd been playing almost 30 years & had no idea how the backswing should start. It had an immediate effect on my game, which suddenly became much more consistent. Golf's a simple game, just watch In Woosnam.