stars of yester year

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it was great watching the 1993 Ryder cup today on Setanta. Those where the days when we could name everyone in the 2 teams, such skillfull players and all at the top of their profession. Payne Stewart played that year and it was great to watch him again in his lovely Plus 4's. All the good guys die young.......I'll live till I'm 100 years old then.........
Yes I watched it for 3 hours today and I cant wait to watch more of the old guys from years ago. Seve and Faldo, Langer and Wossie, a young Monty along with Peter Baker to name but a few. It's a shame our tour's dont have to same gifted players now as we had back then. Do I sound old????

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I think there are hugely more gifted players in the world today than years ago.

Older folk say the snooker players of yesteryear were better too - rubbish! look at the number of 100+ breaks today compared to 10 years ago.

People always look at the past through rose tinted glasses. My mum is always ranting about the "good old days" for example, good my arse, everyone had smallpox and inadequate washing and lavatorial facilities.

Cars were better years ago is something people always say to me in my trade. Bollocks, old cars engines were shagged after 70k, today engines are good for 300k quieter, more economical, put out more horsepower and less pollutants.

Sorry Clubchamp, it is just one of my real bug-bears when people harp on about the past and how everything was better before. Reminds me of old gits supping warm beer and moaning in the corner of a dive pub.

No offence intended, just my view!

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thats what this forum is all about, peoples different views. I dont understand the snooker one because all I seem to see are 2 guys running round a table trying to hit another coloured ball. I'm not saying that we haven't alot of talent out there now adays but we had wonderfull golfers that everyone knew and loved now adays we can hardly say their names.

B

birdieman

I kind of agree with Clubchamp. I think there are no characters in the game. The modern pro spends all his time either on the range, in the gym, with his sports psychologist or PR coach, I think in the past they used to spend more time in the pub. Everything they say nowadays to the media is so rehearsed. Tiger is about the worst, everything he says (which isn't much), sounds like he wrote it yesterday. At least his golf does the talking, but the others?
Players are no doubt better than they used to be but what they have gained in golfing ability they have lost in personality and public appeal.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I disagree with clubchamp that the players from 93 were or are better golfers than todays pros. Todays pros are as skilful as those of yesterday, the big difference is todays pros are fitter and in the main are athlets who look after their bodies.

I also agree with birdieman the players of yesteryear were more entertaining but on and off the course. I know Waterville golf club in Kerry and the locals spoke highly of Payne Stewart whenever he stopped off on his way to the Open to practise on the Kerry links. Stewart played music in the local pubs and often poured his own pint. I think their is a statute to Stewart in Waterville golf club.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the lack of characters is down to diluted TV coverage spread between so many companies. When I was getting into the game we had THREE television channels. Added to the fact that the swings are almost robotic and manufactured by scientists who have taken the individuality out of the main players. If Furyk was 13 in this era his coach would strip him bare and try to rebuild him.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny you should be watching some golf from '93, I found a '94 R and A Golfer's handbook.

1993 O-o-M Monty, Faldo, Woosie, Langer, Torrance, Rocca, Baker, Clarke, Brand jr, Lane, James.
Driving distances top 10 273-285.

2007 O-o-M Rose, Els, Harrington, Stenson, Fasth, Cabrera, Romero, Hansen, Goosen.

Compare the driving distances to the top 10 302-315 on the USPGA Tour.

Which group of players would you rate as more skillful, stroke average is 2-3 lower but drives are further so there's nothing in it surely.

As far as characters are concerned, I reckon the old guys pip it by a whisker.

What happened to Peter Baker? Fowler managed 28 putts/p/r - who he? and the guys who qualified for their cards were Nelson, McFarlane, Watson (S), Zerman, Westwood, et.al. only Westwood is still in it...good for Lee.

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Added to the fact that the swings are almost robotic and manufactured by scientists who have taken the individuality out of the main players.

You're right, no doubt! Back in '93-4 when I started, a video camera needed an outside broadcast van, and I was lucky to have the lessons (thanks to the PGA pro training centre). Most pros taught "off the ball" and the gurus were only beginning to understand all the technical stuff they now teach/use. Faldo was the trail blazer with his one plane swing and Leadbetter's ideas. Now they are tweaking every last muscle and coming up with drills that go over my head....and I've seen quite a few!!

Dave

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting post, I've been watching some old golf footage via my BT Vision On Demand facility. Opens from the Duel in the Sun onwards.
I think in 20-30 years time we'll look back and remember all of the top golfers with misty eyes as old age and romanticism filters out the poorer stuff.

One of the things that amused me when watching duel in the sun (apart from the hairdo's) was when Peter Aliss commented that Tom Watson tee'd off with a 1 iron for safety!!

Who'd hit a 1 iron for safety these days!?!?

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not saying they where better golfers, what I'm trying to say is what birdieman hit on where have the personalities gone? I remember whenever Greg Norman was top of the world list he was giving away golf balls while playing in majors. Ok he didnt pay for them but he still had time for the crowd's.
I would of liked to of met Payne Stewart he seemed, out of all the yanks, to be a normal guy having fun at what he did.
I even enjoyed watching Pavin.
I went to the scotish open last year and followed some of todays top golfers, I came away thinking why dont we all stop going to these events until these guys relise its the spectators who pay their wages. I mean they dont even look at the crowd, on the very rare time u might just see one of them smiling at someone in the crowd, but not our favortie Mr C M if anyone catches him smiling will you let someone else know

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I came away thinking why dont we all stop going to these events until these guys relise its the spectators who pay their wages.

and there you have it in a nutshell!
The crowds don't pay their wages. The take from the gallery at an open probably doesn't do much more than cover the setting up costs - if that. Look how many european tour, national and championship matches are played to one bus load of pensioners and the bloke with the dog.
Their wages come from corporate sponsorship, advertising and appearance fees - and their managers know it.
The talent is the same and the skill is the same, though the technology both in equipment and 'training' (for want of a better word) is vastly changed. The big difference is the predominance of the sponsors demands and the management companies responses to them.
Oh, and there is a big difference in the media. That too is making more demands. Even as recently as the '93 Open, the media was more 'respectful (?)'. How long before the interviews start between holes or between shots - I'm just waiting for 'Did you mean to hit that one in the lake, Mr Woods?'.