Standing UP on the downswing......help!!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here it is in all it's glory, apologies for the poor picture quality.

Hopefully the video I posted in #3 will help you,,,,,

Has your left hip gone SouthWest? Has your right shoulder gone down, out and targetwards?

shw1.gif

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, yes - at least I knew the problem, curing it is another matter as that is how I have swing a club for 25 years....real vs feel!!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow didn't think I did this but I do! The video explained well so hopefully can get this drilled in! As SHW said been swinging the same way for so long it's going to get some getting rid of!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
In my opinion its all in the pelvis.
Note the angle the pelvis is at at address and maintain that angle throughout the swing and you wont stand up.

I'm not so sure about 'maintain that angle' through the swing as the pelvis angles change constantly through the swing, however I would say be MINDFUL of the pelvis angle at address and try to RE-INSTATE that position on the downswing....

I made a video..... :mad::mad::p

[video=youtube;nRbN73hoZKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbN73hoZKQ[/video]

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They don't cure early extension as it's not really a balance issue. (and they're not working for the guy in the video either). To be honest I'd NEVER stand on something unstable to make a golf swing.... ever.

The balance pads showed that I moved weight onto my toes, so was 'falling' forward on the down-swing, so the reflex EE kicked in. After a bit of adjustment of balance, a better hip turn on the back-swing and a similar thought, if not action, that Bob mentions, it felt considerably smoother - and I could 'hold the chair' on the other 'test' (that shows the amount of butt/hips movement).

So, while I agree that the pads don't cure the problem, they provide great evidence/feedback of it. Evidential rather than corrective training aids. I agree that full swings with them could be a bit hairy, so I never have. They certainly quieten my action when putting!

I believe balance, and reflex, play an enormous role in the golf swing - far greater than is generally acknowledged.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a theory as well:

I think the right knee and the way it works forward in the downswing can be the trigger that creates the problem with early extension.

Let me explain:

If the right knee works out towards the ball in the downswing it will take the right hip with it. From here the right hip is pushed forward and the right arm no longer has a clear path to bring the clubhead to the ball on an inside path, so the arm gets blocked. From here the only path available for the club is severely in to out which will either create a shank, or hook if the wrists make a flip to try and save the shot. Another reaction is to pull in the butt and stand up so that the right arm can be pulled into the body such that the clubhead gets a path back to the ball again.

To stop this the right knee needs to work in towards the left knee with the right foot rolling inwards. This action keeps the right hip back and the tooch line intact.

Last edited: