Standing too far away seems better? WHY??

Adamjohnston82

Visit site
Hi all, (Irons question only)
Im a 16 Handicapper and play to it regularly. Im hoping to get down to single figures as I put the time in, seen a few pro´s each of whom think my swing is good but each finds a little tweak and none seem to make a difference. I video myself at the range all the time and I know Im slightly over the top on the way down ( I do carry a some weight :)..) but at impact im 99% of the time back where I started hence the 16 & I never slice an iron too so not too concerned about that despite trying every trick/drill/youtub vid to come inside. I have noticed though that if I place my ball so far away from me that Im stretching like crazy to reach it (like uncomfortably) and try to get the sensation of swinging flat and round my body (like Jimenez for eg) that I hit it pure!!.. Is that because Im more likely to get on plane that way?... I watch Rahm and at address his hands are almost on his knees man. I dont want to stabnd liek that really... but..... What do you think?

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m the opposite I play more upright with the ball closer to me but I’m a senior golfer. Horses for courses I suppose

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest you try it for a while and see the effect in your scores.

Btw. To me, getting from 16 to single figures is (was for me) much more about 'reducing mistakes' and 'the short game' than changing my swing, though we did tweak some aspects of it.

I'd suggest you spend more (most) of your practice time with wedges (I chose the Pelz method, but there are equally good alternatives) and Putting. Pelz's Short Game Bible worked for me as did Dr Bob Rotella's 'Golf is Not a Game of Perfect'. Others by both authors/trainers seem to contain much of the same content. Pelz's tome also doubles/trebles as a doorstop or weapon against unwanted visitors!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would imagine the lie of your irons would change if you put the ball futher away from you at address.
Were you fitted?
Ball father away with irons will flatten your swing ,so it might be you are upright to start with.
If it works for you great ,use it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Post a couple of your videos. One normal and one with the ball a long way away....
From there constructive comment is possible

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You say the pros have said you have an OK swing. Most will find a tweak here and there but it doesn't need to be a wholesale change to get big changes. I personally would use the winter to improve from 100 yards and in, bunker and short game play and putting to shave shots off the handicap rather than tinkering with standing too far away and changing the way you swing it, especially without pro guidance

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
One thing to bear in mind. You are probably not as far away as you think, nor as flat as you think. Feel is so often not real. Personally, I would go and have a Trackman session. That way you can find out where you are hitting the ball on your club face, path, angle of attack etc etc. No guesswork, no assumed delivery just the facts. I thought I was swinging over the top, wasn't the case. Once you have the results from the Trackman, you can tailor your winter work/practice accordingly with your Pro.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Saw a bloke at the range a few weeks ago, hitting his driver by squatting right down so his knees were bent more than right angle, stood about 6’ (feet ?) from the ball, and swinging almost parallel to the ground. Every ball was a massive snap hook, but he seemed to be enjoying himself!