Standard - plus 4 grips

Neeko1988

Visit site
Hi All,

I currently play with p790’s that I’ve had for 12 months now. I play a lot of golf and want to get them re-gripped.

I was in American golf the other day and looking at other irons I picked up some mizuno clubs with +4 grips and they felt really nice.

Looking for some advice/experiance on what affects changing to these could have on my swing other than feeling nice

TIA

Chris

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although there is a school of thought that thicker grips make it harder to turn your hands over in the swing and thus countering an overdraw or hook, I think it's more down to personal feel.
If it feels right then it probably is.
I don't get on with them - they feel weird to me - but they're becoming common.
Why not buy one, fit it to one of your irons and see how you get on with it?
Better to do one and find out you don't like them than get the whole set done
Easy to do yourself - lots of YouTube videos - will only cost a few quid.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spent years building up the tape under the bottom hand to reduce the taper of the grip, finally a manufacturer brought out a grip that in effect does the same, have had them on since they came out and cant see me changing anytime soon

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
have you tried the plus 4 align? I personally like the combination and definitely makes my grip feel more secure

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure what +4 grips are but sounds like they are bigger than normal. If it’s any help I play with midsize grips with normal sized hands and hate the feel of normal sizes grips now.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure what +4 grips are but sounds like they are bigger than normal. If it’s any help I play with midsize grips with normal sized hands and hate the feel of normal sizes grips now.

The bottom half of the grip is thicker than that of a normal grip (to the equivalent of 4 wraps of tape underneath), it produces a much less tapered grip (top and bottom are all but the same thickness), meant to help to quieten down the bottom hand (and for those of us who used to hold a cricket bat a lot provides a more comfortable feel imho)

D

Deleted member 3432

The bottom half of the grip is thicker than that of a normal grip (to the equivalent of 4 wraps of tape underneath), it produces a much less tapered grip (top and bottom are all but the same thickness), meant to help to quieten down the bottom hand (and for those of us who used to hold a cricket bat a lot provides a more comfortable feel imho)

Sounds like I need to get some of these asap, over active right hand has been killing me the last couple of seasons (as well as the yips and a glass back :ROFLMAO:).

I think next season is looking promising already!

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use midsize plus 4 grips.
I can’t say they improve or worsen my game I just feel much more comfortable with them.
I feel as though I don’t grip them as tight as a standard size grip.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
I use +4’s with 2 tapes under the left hand and 4 tapes under the right hand. I believe it’s all about preference with grips.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I've been reading up on oversize grips. The hype says that for seniors etc they will not only be more comfortable , it will also give an increase in distance. ( apparently increase clubhead speed)
I see Jumbo max grips are available, for a price of course.
Is anyone using them? If so, is there an increase in your performance or distance?
I began to get interested in this when I briefly held a club with very large grips which one of the lads at the club had. And he is a very keen to get the best performance type of guy.
The club did give a very good feel.
Or is it all hype?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suspect it goes along the lines of...
It feels more comfortable therefore you feel more confident therefore you feel you're able to swing a bit faster which sends the ball further

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play this style of grip (same thickness down the length) in a Winn grip and got on with them very well, I find the Win grips are much softer.

I have tried the CP2, which is the same idea, but preferred a standard Tour Velvet

There is a difference between a plus 4 and a jumbo or midsize not a lover of either jumbo or midsize myself as it does reduce wrist action.

I am bit old school in that the leading hand is the one which grips the club and supplies the power and the right hand has a very light grip only controlling direction.