Standard of winter mats / tees

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
found out what "winter tees" means at old ford.. its just off the ladies (if they shared a tee box) if not it was like they had a separate tee box (seems just for the winter)

much better.

few clubs could learn from this

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
found out what "winter tees" means at old ford.. its just off the ladies (if they shared a tee box) if not it was like they had a separate tee box (seems just for the winter)

much better.

few clubs could learn from this

so they protect their mens tees by ruining the ladies tees over winter, that must be popular with the ladies section

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have grass tees & full greens all season. I'd personally be happy to use a fairway mat & have suggested they be used on a voluntary basis but the 'powers that be' feel it would give an unfair advantage.... yeah, puzzling Eh? 😳⛳️🏌

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't want to start a thread, but I will be needing a Winter Rules Mat for the new club I've joined for the Fairway, the club shop doesn't have any more in stock and I would like to get one for this weekend?

I'm looking for the double sided plastic one, one that has a smooth back and the other is rougher, with more plastic grass. Anyone got any good links on where to get one?
Pauly I got mine from ebaythere were plenty to choose from.. I get ridiculed but I bought a nice red one, it stands out when I drop it so far I havnt lost this one..

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have mats on our par 3s, have done ever since I've played there.
They come out mid-range November and stay until April.
Most of them are octagonal - and they put the markers, effectively, in the middle of the mat.
That means you only have half a mat to use....
I've mentioned it many a time but nothing ever changes.
Played at Whipsnade last week - no mats.....
I THINK!!! that once a mat is laid that becomes the teeing ground and the tee markers have no relevance in defining same.. I had this arguement on the course and was backed up by the handicap sec.. so it must be right, musnt it??

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yep couldn't agree more with this. Admittedly I have also moved myself beyond the mat to find a decent enough area to tee off from. Although we all probably shouldn't do it but as quite rightly posted before, the mats are in awful condition and you can't get a tee in to most of them. If clubs did put a bit of time and small amount of money into maintaining them, golfers would probably use them. We use them at the range each time we go!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have grass tees & full greens all season. I'd personally be happy to use a fairway mat & have suggested they be used on a voluntary basis but the 'powers that be' feel it would give an unfair advantage.... yeah, puzzling Eh? ⛳️

Not really, automatic perfect aim with fairway mat and massively increased spin compared to a damp fairway with probably an extra 4-5mm on the cutting height compared to in season

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have grass tees & full greens all season. I'd personally be happy to use a fairway mat & have suggested they be used on a voluntary basis but the 'powers that be' feel it would give an unfair advantage.... yeah, puzzling Eh? 😳⛳️🏌

Not really, automatic perfect aim with fairway mat and massively increased spin compared to a damp fairway with probably an extra 4-5mm on the cutting height compared to in season
Aye.... exactly.... that's why its puzzling :mad: who'd choose to play off what you describe when better is available & you'd avoid all of the issues folk are mentioning as well as protecting the course...... that's why it's so puzzling, eh :eek:ne:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have moved to normal greens and tees all year round.

Used to come off greens when frosty and mats on tees from November but in both cases the club has decided thereis no problem with staying on both throughout