Stakes indicating boundary

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking for quick answer from a qualified colleague. A boundary is defined by in or beyond a ditch. White stakes on the courseindicate that there is a boundary. I think these are movable obstructions not boundary objects. Confirmation or contradiction would be appreciated.

wjemather

Visit site
The definition of a boundary object states "artificial objects defining or showing out of bounds", so your stakes are boundary objects.
MLR-A6 allows them to be treated differently (as immovable/movable obstructions).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The definition of a boundary object states "artificial objects defining or showing out of bounds", so your stakes are boundary objects.
MLR-A6 allows them to be treated differently (as immovable/movable obstructions).
Thanks. It was the word “showing” that prompted me to question my initial (and logical) presumption that being on the course they weren’t boundary objects and to consult.

Steven Rules

Visit site
The last part of the definition of Out of Bounds indicates to me that the stakes are boundary objects:

Lines: When defined by a painted line on the ground, the boundary edge is the course-side edge of the line, and the line itself is out of bounds. When a line on the ground defines the boundary edge, stakes may be used to show where the boundary edge is located.
When stakes are used to define or show the boundary edge, they are boundary objects.