stack and tilt anyone?

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
After Homer mentioned this in passing on a previous thread thought I wood take a look......I definately have trouble shifting my weight and often hit the ground just in front of the ball with long irons/fairway woods robbing me of distance at best or fat shots going nowhere at worst.Anyone tried/trying it with success?

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, I have and had a lot of success with it but was advised to stay away from it by forum members.

Basically I was advised it will only get you so far, great for a high handicapper and your numbers will tumble quickly, but in the long term your better off developing a tradition swing.

I'll see if I can dig out the thread I raised on this a month or so ago.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I remember my old friend Dave (realgolferuk) posting about this on a number of occasions. I agree with you that it does have some merits for higher handicappers but I am not sure of the merits of this method as a long term swing foundation. I have spoken to a number of well known PGA pros in the area about this over the last 12 months and many will not teach it as they feel that it is harder for amateur golfers to commit to muscle memory and that it is a harder swing method.

I know there are a number of pros (can't remember who off the top of my head) who have gone down the stack and tilt line recently and I'm sure for these guys it must have a benefit for them to be doing it. Personally I would concentrate on getting traditional swing fundamentals ingrained and building a solid mainstream swing with as few moving pieces and making sure my chipping and putting was up to scratch to get down as low as possible.

Just my opinion!

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
I know of a few pros who swing like that mainly to stop hitting left Aaron Badderly and Mike Wier come to mind.

As your weight is more on the front foot you cant get behind the ball if it works it works though

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Baddeley was the guy I was trying to think of. I know Golf Night made a big thing of it during the season with Dennis Pugh going through the swing and its pros and cons. I'm having enough trouble with a conventional swing to even contemplate something like this. Still if it works then go for it if you feel it will help your game.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In all seriousness am I the only one who thinks that there is too much information about the Golf Swing floating around in peoples heads?

I know that you've got to learn how to swing the club, but getting into the mechanics of having your elbow here and your foot here and your shoulder somewhere else - doesn't it make it more difficult in the end? I read all the posts made on the forum, including the "instruction" ones. if I thought about half the things that everyone seems to think about, I'd be lucky to get the ball 5 yards sideways.

I'm not having a go at anybody or anything that helps people to play this great game but sometimes it appears to me that we think about way too many things rather than just hitting the ball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree up to a point, particularly when playing that more than one precise swing thought is detrimental. Bob Rotella says as much in his books but advocates imagery instead of thoughts.

However if I am at a range then I may try and work on certain swing thoughts or try to swing in a certain way especially if I have recently had a lesson in order to make it bed in and feel natural. I do find however that even on the range I do strike the ball better when the swing is flowing naturally and there is no real thought about mechanics. There is a place for working on thoughts and technical issues and it does help if you know how your swing is held together but the course is not that place. Keep it simple and work on faults afterwards.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Anyone who reads magazines, watches golf coverage and has lessons we have access to thousands if golf tips it depends how you use them.

I just enjoy reading/watching them and only listen to the guy teaching me,i know what you mean though if we thinking of putting this here and that there we would never be able to hit the damn thing.

I always try to play with a empty mind but at the range i at the stage where my swing thoughts are

Back-Up-Down-Through

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think you can think "too" much about the "perfect swing" as well. whenever I see threads with instruction or in-depth instruction in books or mags I just by-pass it as I don't think it helps me one bit! I had a little look at the link attached to this thread but only for about two seconds, I've taught myself to ignore it and only listen to my coach who isn't overly technical! I went through a short phase where I was just thinking too much and I got even worse! :(
I'm no pro and to be honest not very good at all, so this probably doesn't count for much,but I think a lot of amateurs can talk the talk and are happy doing so because they look a bit superior!(or at least think they do! :)

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I have maybe inadvertantly adopted this method on my wedges and short irons as a feel its more my core unwinding and no real weight transfer to my right side on the backswing. I start maybe 50/50 with a forward shift on swinging but when it comes to hybrids and woods I definately set up on the back foot and often struggle to shift my weight correctly resulting in grounding the club early.As has been stated a closer (wedge)stance needs a very subtle shift as opposed to a wider (driver) stance.I'm off to the range tommorrow to give it a whirl (as I have no grooved swing to worry about )

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Let me clear up a small point. I'm not advocating a perfect swing as I'm not even the best of the best manages to hit it perfectly everytime. What I'm saying is find the very best swing for you (age, flexibility, etc). I am lucky in that my coach manages to get things over in a way that I understand and for the most part remember. We do get technical but he always videos my swing and uses golf swing software to highlight key points or show me what is wrong/needs works and e-mails them to me after the lesson to build up a swing library.

Go out and play the game on course free from any mechanics (its hard enough anyway) and use your practice time (if you choose to practice at all) to cultivate a swing that works for you.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
In all seriousness am I the only one who thinks that there is too much information about the Golf Swing floating around in peoples heads?

I know that you've got to learn how to swing the club, but getting into the mechanics of having your elbow here and your foot here and your shoulder somewhere else - doesn't it make it more difficult in the end? I read all the posts made on the forum, including the "instruction" ones. if I thought about half the things that everyone seems to think about, I'd be lucky to get the ball 5 yards sideways.

I'm not having a go at anybody or anything that helps people to play this great game but sometimes it appears to me that we think about way too many things rather than just hitting the ball.

Im with you on this one, knowing whats what and how to identify it and express it is a complex thing and even more complex for a novice to take in, when I taught my nephew I used language he understood , with a little physical guidance and demonstration, he got from 11 yr old beginner to 16 h/c player in 3 yrs, he went for lessons and got down to 8 by the time he was 17, he still wouldnt understand a lot of the detail in here. :)

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my biggest problems is over thinking things whilst I'm on the course. I do like reading and studying the game to get better, but I have a habit of taking this onto the course as well as the range.

I managed to get this out of my system during December. Just went out and played and deliberately tried to not think about the shot too much.

Pick my club, pick my target, practice swing then address the ball and just hit it. The change in my consistency was instant.

As a result I shot under 100 for 5 successive rounds.

Over Christmas I got out 3 times. Shot 111, 116 and a 108.

This thread has just made me realize I've gone back to over thinking it again.

Classic example is when I make a bad shot, which I'm going to do quite a bit as a new golfer.

Next shot I'm thinking "Ah I know what went wrong, I'll do this instead to correct it, cuz I read in Magazine XYZ what causes that". Result - Another bad shot. And the cycle starts again.

End result is a rapidly increasing shot count !

So next round out I'm going to put my brain in a low gear :)

Damm you brain, damm you and your meddling ways :D

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
I try to read as much as I can and watch instructional video's etc but I only take on board what suits me.

Then I go down the range and try grooving my swing to what feels comfortable and what works FOR ME!.

If we all took on board and tried to impliment what everyone is trying to tell us our swings would last about 10 minutes!!!!!

I'm going to try and get some video's of my swing on here soon. Maybe next week. Then you guys can rip me to shreds.