Stableford Adjusted Handicap Query

titleistkid

Club Champion
Visit site
Afternoon all,

Query regarding medal play. In a normal stroke competition I am aware of scores being adjusted by stableford rule

i.e if you have a quadruple bogey or worse on a hole you are stroking on it will be cut to a treble for handicap purposes and if you are not stroking it will get cut to a double bogey

My question is if you fail to record a score at a certain hole but complete the rest of the round does your score count for handicap purposes?

Reason I ask is that a friend of mine played the Tuesday medal yesterday and had a mare at the 11th. He did not complete the hole but played as normal for the remainder of the medal round scoring on every other hole and is claiming he made the buffer zone as his NR on 11 will get counted as a double bogey on the system.

I reckon he has a point but surely it would require him to have finished the hole even if he got a 25 for the score to count. Can anyone clarify?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Everything else being in order, that would indeed be the case.

Even a DQ - from the comp - can count for handicap in certain circumstances.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I NR'd on two holes (actually it was the same hole twice on my 9 hole course) which meant I was disqualified from the comp.

However, for handicap purposes, it goes down as a net double bogey and in this instance I still hit buffer.

A lot of people don't like you this- I do (naturally!). I think if you hit a good drive on the first hole then walk down the fairway to find no ball then it would be unfair for you to gain a 0.1 as well as being out the comp.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you have to pick up in a medal, just treat it like a stableford as that is how your h'cap is calculated. The medal part is just for the competition, your h'cap is separate to the competition result

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I NR'd on two holes (actually it was the same hole twice on my 9 hole course) which meant I was disqualified from the comp.

However, for handicap purposes, it goes down as a net double bogey and in this instance I still hit buffer.

A lot of people don't like you this- I do (naturally!). I think if you hit a good drive on the first hole then walk down the fairway to find no ball then it would be unfair for you to gain a 0.1 as well as being out the comp.

The CONGU rules require you to make the best score you can at the rest of the holes.