St Andrews

• Thread starter Deleted member 25575
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25575

Just back from a weekend away at St Andrews, 3 day all you can play ticket (excluding the Old).

I played 54 holes on Friday (Jubilee, Eden, Strathtyrum), 36 Saturday (Castle x2) and 27 today (New & back 9 at Castle).

The weather was horrific though, wind and rain like you've never seen.

Great value for a weekend away, some great courses!

D

Deleted member 23270

How much is the ticket now? Great courses even without the Old!

D

Deleted member 25575

Ticket was £180 for the 3 days.

First time I've played the Castle but loved it, played the others years ago (and the new again last year) but incredible value

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from a weekend away at St Andrews, 3 day all you can play ticket (excluding the Old).

I played 54 holes on Friday (Jubilee, Eden, Strathtyrum), 36 Saturday (Castle x2) and 27 today (New & back 9 at Castle).

I tell you what. Fair play

I’d need a chiropractor half way through the 1st day.

Probably air ambulance mid way through the 3rd

D

Deleted member 25575

Ha ha, not sure which side of the old farts, whipper snappers I fall mid 40s

D

Deleted member 17920

54 holes on Friday.

Great going for the time of year. Very impressive ?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Good grief - that's a colossal effort!

I went a few years back and did Dukes on the Thursday, Jubilee and Castle Friday, Old and Eden Saturday, and New on the Sunday. I was absolutely shattered playing the Eden on the Saturday afternoon!

This was also in belting weather, (25 degrees, July 2018). Can't imagine how tired I would have been playing the amount you did in the iffy weather. Great work!

D

Deleted member 1147

Sounds great
I’m just sorry the bad weather restricted you so much ?

• Haha
Reactions: sjw
D

Deleted member 25575

Good grief - that's a colossal effort!

I went a few years back and did Dukes on the Thursday, Jubilee and Castle Friday, Old and Eden Saturday, and New on the Sunday. I was absolutely shattered playing the Eden on the Saturday afternoon!

This was also in belting weather, (25 degrees, July 2018). Can't imagine how tired I would have been playing the amount you did in the iffy weather. Great work!
Was difficult as I was on my own, save for the Jubilee where I paired up with a 3 ball and the 2nd round at the Castle where one of the guys from the 3 ball joined me again. The guy who I was supposed to be going with got a positive COVID test on Thursday, he was gutted to say the least. Tried my best to get enough golf in for both of us.

D

Deleted member 25575

Sounds great
I’m just sorry the bad weather restricted you so much ?
The weather was horrific. I was going to play the full 18 at the Castle on Sunday but after getting wet towards the end of my round at the New earlier in the day, I couldn't bring myself to be out for 2 and a half more hours to go round all 18

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
re. The three day ticket (thought I'd add to this rather than start a new one)...

I booked a trip for this coming May a few months ago. The 3 day ticket with 1 booked tee per day was £270
I just contacted them to potentially add an extra player to our trip - it's now £320 ! That's a 20% increase. Ouch.

Out of interest, does anyone know how you go about booking rounds for the non-pre booked times? Do we just wander up to the starter and wave our tickets, or can we reserve a tee time the day (or week) before ? Will probably be looking for a couple of rounds on the Eden or Strathtyrum(sp) as we've pre-booked New, Jub and Castle

D

Deleted member 25575

You can phone up the booking office the day before and see what times they have available on what courses, depends how many there are and how busy etc.
When I went I was a single player so easy to slot in than a 4ball would be, that said I never had to actually get paired up at all as the weather was so nasty, that also meant the courses were really quiet, I didnt ring up the day before, I just pitched up to the starter box of the next course I wanted to play and asked what times they had available, most had more than one time and the Strath and Eden I just walked on straight away.
May might be more busy though, so i'd advise ringing up the day before (I think the booking phone line opens at 9am, so just ring each day (24 hours earlier) at 9 and hopefully you'll be fine). You probably wont get the exact course and time you want each day, but im sure they will have something on one of the courses at about the time you're looking for. Last up, though you can book a tee time, the New course is just a turn up and play type affair, so you should get on there regardless just with a wait if there are people queueing

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
re. The three day ticket (thought I'd add to this rather than start a new one)...

I booked a trip for this coming May a few months ago. The 3 day ticket with 1 booked tee per day was £270
I just contacted them to potentially add an extra player to our trip - it's now £320 ! That's a 20% increase. Ouch.

Out of interest, does anyone know how you go about booking rounds for the non-pre booked times? Do we just wander up to the starter and wave our tickets, or can we reserve a tee time the day (or week) before ? Will probably be looking for a couple of rounds on the Eden or Strathtyrum(sp) as we've pre-booked New, Jub and Castle

we paid £260 for the ticket last summer, they are taking the proverbial with that increase.

re booking tee times, Eden can be booked well in advance (we pre booked Eden, Jubilee and Castle), or if you are around the day before, you can just pop in to reception at any of the courses and they will sort you out (or you can phone up obv.)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A quick update on this, as we've just got back.
Fantastic time had by all. Lucky with the weather - a bit grey a couple of mornings, but basically bright with plenty of sun and lightish breezes.
Played jubilee and eden the first day - enjoyed both, but would say that the jubilee was our least favourite "main" course. The Eden was good fun, its a real shame that the 4 holes have been replaced, as the front 12 and last 2 holes are excellent. It's also easily the least busy course.
Ladies putting and New course the second day. The New was the best links course we played, but it was the slowest round of the trip by a lot. Nearly 5 hours. I dont recall waiting to play a shot on any of our other rounds. Ladies putting is a perfect change of pace.
Last day we played the Castle. Lovely weather and a really enjoyable course. Not quite sure why it gets a bad rap. The only silly green was 18, where they put the pin on the back lump. They have 10 minute tee times here (8 elsewhere) which probably helps. I'd definitely recommend playing it instead of another links if time was short.
We travelled up and back by train from Herts, then used taxis to get about. The taxi company was pleasantly reliable (club cars iirc).
All-in-all, to be recommended, but better be quick before the prices get even more ridiculous.

Skytot

Visit site
A quick update on this, as we've just got back.
Fantastic time had by all. Lucky with the weather - a bit grey a couple of mornings, but basically bright with plenty of sun and lightish breezes.
Played jubilee and eden the first day - enjoyed both, but would say that the jubilee was our least favourite "main" course. The Eden was good fun, its a real shame that the 4 holes have been replaced, as the front 12 and last 2 holes are excellent. It's also easily the least busy course.
Ladies putting and New course the second day. The New was the best links course we played, but it was the slowest round of the trip by a lot. Nearly 5 hours. I dont recall waiting to play a shot on any of our other rounds. Ladies putting is a perfect change of pace.
Last day we played the Castle. Lovely weather and a really enjoyable course. Not quite sure why it gets a bad rap. The only silly green was 18, where they put the pin on the back lump. They have 10 minute tee times here (8 elsewhere) which probably helps. I'd definitely recommend playing it instead of another links if time was short.
We travelled up and back by train from Herts, then used taxis to get about. The taxi company was pleasantly reliable (club cars iirc).
All-in-all, to be recommended, but better be quick before the prices get even more ridiculous.
Interested in doing similar trip next year . Noticed you said you got a train to St Andrews, how did you then commute to the courses you played ?