St Andrews courses November

Chaddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi everyone, which courses would you recommend? I quite fancy the Castle course but others have been recommending Jubilee and new over it. Any opinions? Particularly in November too. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 23270

Castle is good, enjoyed the Dukes too although might be wet in November. After watching Sky the other week I quite fancy playing the Torrance now although appreciate it is not a 'St Andrews links' course.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played the New, Old & Strathyrum and would whole heartedly recommend the New as great value at this time of year.

It's a great design with some excellent holes.
Strathyrum also nice, but very much designed for lesser able players to get round. Good fun and good value.

I believe the Castle closes in the winter months. It's also not built on natural links land (former crop fields about 20 years ago) so likely it won't drain as well as the courses in town.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends, what are you wanting from the experience?

If it's to feel a bit of the St Andrews magic, then the New is the closest you can get without playing the Old. Teeing off it plays out alongside the Old, you get a nice view back to the town on the finishing holes. The New is a great course to play in competition, so if a bit of the magic and a scoring challenge matters then the New is the best to play.

The Castle can be a cold place in November, pray for a calm day, but it offers terrific views of the town from its distant cliff position. It's not at all like any of the Links courses but it's a good course to play as a visitor if you're happy to face some monster putts and not worry too much about a score - you can hit greens on the Castle but still be faced with 4 putting more often than you like. Some people hate that aspect of the Castle, I happen to like it for social rounds where score is secondary.

I like the Jubilee a lot but it could be the least appealing of the three you're thinking about as a visitor. It's got a couple of "odd" holes but also one, perhaps two, of the best holes on the Links away from the Old. It rewards straight drives and long irons. It can be a miserable place for a wayward golfer. As much as I enjoy the course, I think the final two holes are a let down of the course as a whole.

Lastly, don't write off the Eden, it plays well as a bonus round in conjunction with any of the above, the first 5 holes are great and it has a lovely finish but it has a bit of a confusing wobble around the pond at 14 and 15.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Not played the Castle but all the St Andrews links courses are excellent in their different ways - New is a smashing course, as is the Jubilee which to me is the toughest course at the Links.

I'd thought that all the courses went to winter mats from November but having just checked it's only the Old which mandates mats from November 9th wit the rest going to mats at the start of December. The Castle closes for play from end of November.

TogoPresley

Visit site
I would not want to play Castle in November - it is a tough course, exposed and not a links, so may be damp underfoot. Go and play The Old whilst the yanks are out of town. Or play New\Jubilee - I preferred Jubilee, more holes next to the sea. I think the New is a bit overrated tbh.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Is the Castle Course even open in November? Thought it shut all winter plus its crap. A few good holes, couple of brilliant golf holes and the worst finishing hole I've ever played.

I'd go Jubilee for enjoyment, its a brilliant course. Couple of "average" holes but overall very strong and enjoyable test of golf.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Castle closes last weekend of November unless wider events change it. Agree about the final hole, although I’d counter with Kingsbarns’ 18th being worse.

Jubilee is good but I have to say they’ve pulled out so much gorse in the last couple of years I think it’s lost a bit of its menacing charm.