Sprained hand/thumb recovery time.

User20204

Visit site
I know this is a bit "how long is a piece of string type question" but I strained/sprained my hand/thumb just over two weeks ago and I'm still struggling to hold a club.

Swelled up quite badly initially but that has subsided and it's definitely getting better, I pretty much have full use of my hand for every day duties (ooh err missus) but the swinging of a stick with a weight on the end is causing me pain, mainly in the back of the hand and I'm getting impatient.

How much longer does one expect to be out of the game ??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There could easily be tendon/ligament damage/strain that'll keep you sidelined for a few more weeks yet (so not really the muscle bit)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's a bit " it takes as long as it takes" - not much help I know.
Depends on what you've done to it and how severely you've done it.
If it's been a couple of weeks already it suggests to me that you could need the same amount of time again, possibly more.
Seen a Doc?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had this couple of weeks ago.
I bought an Aircast to isolate my thumb when in bed and not working . This really helped !
I have had a lot of trouble with my wrist ,two ops, so it just needs rest.
A physio might be worth a visit to get a proper diagnosis.

User20204

Visit site
The thumb and fingers are recovering, like much better than a week or so ago but when I try to swing a driver there is just to much pain exerted on the rear of the hand.

Not bothered with a doc, they are fairly useless when it comes to specific injuries. A physio is probably the best best bet but again, would most likely say, rest it'll come good in time, which I'm sure it will I'm just surprised that I can do pretty much anything now except swing a golf club.

D

Deleted member 1740

I broke my 4th metacarpal in my right hand last december and its still not right. its healing but not quick enough. Got to have a CT scan tomorrow to determine exactly how much my bone has healed.

User20204

Visit site
I broke my 4th metacarpal in my right hand last december and its still not right. its healing but not quick enough. Got to have a CT scan tomorrow to determine exactly how much my bone has healed.

Did you or have you got pain in a particular area, from the outset ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Did you or have you got pain in a particular area, from the outset ?

I was in real pain when i done it, but as it started to heal the pain wore off. Now i get pain when i use my right hand in work eg lifting floorboards, weights, radiators etc

User20204

Visit site
I don't think I've broken anything as there isn't pain in one particular area, more spread about and now two weeks on there isn't an area where I can press on that is sore.

D

Deleted member 1740

I don't think I've broken anything as there isn't pain in one particular area, more spread about and now two weeks on there isn't an area where I can press on that is sore.

Youd be surprised, i never went to hospital til nearly 4 weeks after id broke it. I'd ring your GP surgery and ask for a referral for a xray, you should be able to go straight to your local Hospital and get it checked.