Sporting Achievements

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today is the 40th anniversary of the 1st televised 147 in snooker (Steve Davis) and it got me thinking about the milestones in different sports. Listed below are the ones I could think about:

Hole in one - Golf
9 Dart Finish - Darts
Hat Trick - multiple
300 score - 10 pin bowling
Can anyone think of any other sports where they have similar achievements/milestones?

D

Deleted member 15344

Perfect 6.0 is Gymnastics or Ice Skating etc
Breaking 10 secs in 100 m
Century in Cricket
5 for and 10 for in cricket

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Horse racing - Frankie Dettori - 7 races in one day, 7 winners

Cricket - Six sixes in an over
Cricket - 10 wicket haul by a single bowler in one innings

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't believe a century in cricket is 'outstanding' enough. Certainly a Double Century though. And really only in 'Test' matches.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today is the 40th anniversary of the 1st televised 147 in snooker (Steve Davis) and it got me thinking about the milestones in different sports. Listed below are the ones I could think about:

Hole in one - Golf
9 Dart Finish - Darts
Hat Trick - multiple
Can anyone think of any other sports where they have similar achievements/milestones?

I am not sure that many sports have an equivalent. The hole in one, the 9 dart finish, the 147 and the 300 bowling score are literally perfection, you cannot perfom better than that. Things such as centuries, hat tricks etc are great achievements but do not have that level of perfection that the other examples have. I think to fall into that category, the sport needs a finite perfect score in achieving a given task.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Average lap speed around the Mountain course, the Isle of Man TT circuit.

First 100mph lap; Bob McIntyre, 1957
First 110mph lap; John Williams, 1976
First 120mph lap; Steve Hislop, 1989
First 130mph lap; John McGuiness, 2007
First 135mph lap; Peter Hickman, 2018

I need to see this insanity in person before Health & Safety find out about it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Hole in one - Golf
9 Dart Finish - Darts
Hat Trick - multiple

The youngest and oldest people to hole in one at the Open are DJ Russell & Gene Sarazen; both at the Postage Stamp at Troon, and about 45 minutes apart I believe.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I am not sure that many sports have an equivalent. The hole in one, the 9 dart finish, the 147 and the 300 bowling score are literally perfection, you cannot perfom better than that. Things such as centuries, hat tricks etc are great achievements but do not have that level of perfection that the other examples have. I think to fall into that category, the sport needs a finite perfect score in achieving a given task.

I don’t agree that a hole in one is a particularly high sporting achievement, or that it’s a perfect shot. My first hole in one was an awful shot that I thought I had lost right of the green.

A complete beginner could get lucky and get a hole in one. A complete beginner could not throw a 9 darter or get a 147.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t agree that a hole in one is a particularly high sporting achievement, or that it’s a perfect shot. My first hole in one was an awful shot that I thought I had lost right of the green.

A complete beginner could get lucky and get a hole in one. A complete beginner could not throw a 9 darter or get a 147.

Agreed but it does have that element of being impossible to beat and it being impossible to score any better on that hole. I guess that is why I qualify it alongside a 147, 9 darter etc.