Split ball - Penalty shot?

Darlophil

Club Champion
Visit site
Playing a round yesterday I saw half a ball in the light rough and it got me wondering what do the rules state if this happens when you play your shot?

You obviously can't continue the hole with it (putting might be an issue) so you have to use a new ball. Would you get a free drop or have to take a penalty stroke?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
mark and replace damaged ball- confirm with FC- drop new ball at same point and carry on with no penalty:thup:

cack_handed

Medal Winner
Visit site
If the ball is damaged you will have to mark it before lifting and if it is damaged you replace it in the same place as the damaged ball without penalty. Now if the ball splits in half the stroke is cancelled and you have to go back to where you hit the last ball as close as possible and replay the stroke without penalty

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Playing a round yesterday I saw half a ball in the light rough and it got me wondering what do the rules state if this happens when you play your shot?

You obviously can't continue the hole with it (putting might be an issue) so you have to use a new ball. Would you get a free drop or have to take a penalty stroke?

If a ball breaks into piece as the result of a stroke, then that stroke is cancelled. So replay without penalty.

If it merely becomes unfit for play, then another ball can/must be substituted - no penalty.

Darlophil

Club Champion
Visit site
Great stuff cheers.

Its never happened to me but in I've seen about 4 split balls in recent months either on the course or the practice net, but when this happens is it usually because the ball is damaged prior the strike or that its maybe a soft compression ball hit too hard?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great stuff cheers.

Its never happened to me but in I've seen about 4 split balls in recent months either on the course or the practice net, but when this happens is it usually because the ball is damaged prior the strike or that its maybe a soft compression ball hit too hard?
or it was lost and the mower split it ;)