spitting the dummy

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
i played today in a so called friendly stableford game, their were seven players including myself we all throw a fiver in, the winner takes the cash.i'd played with one of the blokes before the rest i'd never met although they're all members of my club. i was in a 3 ball with a bloke i'd played with before who's off 16 and another bloke off 11.(i'm off 18) we set off and the 11hcp is a really quick player and after a few holes is saying we need to speed up, i'm someone who likes to take my time and gets a bit flustered when i feel like i'm rushing, when i do try to speed up my pace of play the wheels usually come off. anyway i did speed up a bit and hit a few wild shots but a few good ones too.then we get to the par 5 7th, the 11hcp hits his drive OB right, reloads and duffs his drive into a ditch in front of the tee. he then chucks his driver and says f*** it i'm going home, then as he's storming off says f*** you's i'd be here all day with you two! we carried on playing but i just couldn't get my head together and the wheels came off big time. i'd been thinking off playing in the comps at my club but this has put me off, i'd rather play by myself than have rounds like that.anyone else had an experience like that or have any tips how to deal with it? or any tips how to speed up play? like i said i know i'm a slow player and struggle to play quickly

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just try and laugh it off is probably the best way. If you arent holding groups up behind then take aslong as you need without taking the pish.

Maybe if he took his time he wouldnt be ob then duffed into a ditch.

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
to be honest i didn't think we were going that slow the group in front were only half a hole in front off us. i think you're right laughing it off would of been the best thing to do.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
he was just looking for an excuse as to why he played badly yet was all his own downfall no doubt but wouldnt admit it to himself.

Used to play with a similar knob, one day he kept walking over the green and off the course without a word, everything around him caused his bad play include us apparently, no -one wants to play with him funnily enough, golf shows someone's true character and your bettter off without a childish person like that around, golfs fun but guys like that will always suck the fun out of it- best avoided.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Everyone has their preferred pace, but you know that that pace will vary between a 2 ball, 3 or 4 ball
It will also depend on the group in front and how much time you spend looking for each others shanks.

Golfers should know this, its part of the game

Now if you were keeping up with the game in front, and not slowing up the game behind, then I can see no reason for chummy to lose it. Therefore he's a knob

However If you were losing ground on the game in front, and causing a queue behind, then he has a point. in which case he's not a knob :D

if you and your other partners are happy that your pace isnt interfeering with other golfers, then ignore the outburst and put it behind you.

just dont play with him again

Fragger

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your like me you play faster when you play slower. If I take the allotted time I am allowed for each shot then I generally play well and do not loose many balls.

What most non regular golfers do not know is that most time is wasted due to organisational things like:

Being ready when its your turn on the tee rather than chatting and marking your card.

Read the line of your putt while others get into position, just remember to be out of their line when its their turn.

Hit a provisional ball when your first really is going to be tought to find, do not cling on to the hope of finding it (quite often you find it the second you stop looking).

There are many other things like this I try to do to keep the pace of play up, taking time to play a shot is never the point you shout look first to save time. If someone tells you to hurry up and then says again as you go to play a shot tell them you are saving time in other areas so you can keep your normal pace over the ball!

One other thing is I have been told to pick up the pace when we are a 3 ball buffeting up against the back of a string of 4 balls, when you have extra time use it! Its a gift!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Whatever the rights and wrongs I would never play again with someone who acted in that manner while out with me.

Chris

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re tips on speeding up, ScienceBoy is dead right, it is in between shots that you save time. Rushing a shot usually leads to poor golf which takes longer. Here's few to add to SB's list, I'm sure others can add more.

Walk briskly, it's easy to end up dawdling especially if you are chatting a lot.

Agree to play out of turn if it speeds up play.

Sometimes it helps round the green to let anyone in a bunker play first so they can rake it while others are chipping. Also if someone plays from a bunker and it's still their turn you can sometimes save time if another player rakes it while they play on (but obviously stop raking if it will distract someone).

Someone should be ready to replace the flag when the last player in the group holes out.

Leave bags and trolleys to the side of the green nearest the next tee. You can sometimes help by taking someone else's trolley to the right place while they play.

However, never try to save time by not raking bunkers, replacing divots or repairing pitch marks (golfers won't mind waiting for those things) or by playing to a green that you might reach while players are still putting or only just leaving it, that's dangerous.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re tips on speeding up, ScienceBoy is dead right, it is in between shots that you save time. Rushing a shot usually leads to poor golf which takes longer. Here's few to add to SB's list, I'm sure others can add more.

Walk briskly, it's easy to end up dawdling especially if you are chatting a lot.

Agree to play out of turn if it speeds up play.

Sometimes it helps round the green to let anyone in a bunker play first so they can rake it while others are chipping. Also if someone plays from a bunker and it's still their turn you can sometimes save time if another player rakes it while they play on (but obviously stop raking if it will distract someone).

Someone should be ready to replace the flag when the last player in the group holes out.

Leave bags and trolleys to the side of the green nearest the next tee. You can sometimes help by taking someone else's trolley to the right place while they play.

However, never try to save time by not raking bunkers, replacing divots or repairing pitch marks (golfers won't mind waiting for those things) or by playing to a green that you might reach while players are still putting or only just leaving it, that's dangerous.

Good advice there :cool:

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
When its your turn to play make sure you are ready to do it. You can go through most of your preshot routine while the other player is hitting his shot. No point watching someone play then starting to go through all your bits and bobs.

If you're first to play from the next tee then get there and play your shot , no fannying about marking cards or dawdling off the last green having a nice long chat to anyone that will listen.

ps the bloke was just looking for someone to blame for his bad shots. A very angry indivdual who's heading for a heartattack.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a knob and he would only have a case if you lost ground on the group ahead. If you have kept up with them (and it sounds like you did) why dud he want you to speed up? Doesnt make any sense.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
No point watching someone play then starting to go through all your bits and bobs.

Disagree.
I was always taught that it was good etiquette to watch your playing partners play their shot to see where their ball goes.
Of course be weighing up your own shot and have the club selected ready, but unless your pre shot routine is of Homeresque proportions it won't add as much time to a round of golf as the dreaded "did anyone see where that went" and another 5 minutes spent looking for a ball.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
totally agree there, I think watching where your playing partners ball has gone is more important than saving a few seconds.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whatever the issues concerning your own actions 'may' be they are more than trumped by this *w**.

Utterly selfish and self serving behaviour. Never ever play in a group with this person again. 'Putting up' with these sorts only gives them a green light when the other members should muscle up and boot him out.

It won't happen of course.

Unfortunately, golf seems to have more than it's fair share of them

billy g

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the guy sounds a grade A knob. I wouldn't let it put you off entering competitions as that is the only way to really get your handicap down. If you get drawn with him in one, ignore him badgering you to speed up unless there is an issue and you are losing your place with the group in front. If not and you're moving along fine then let him get all hot and bothered and if he repeats the trick in a comp round report him.

As for "Homeresque" pre-shot routines I think if you ask anybody I've played with I'm hardly the slowest player on here. I have my routine but I'm ready to play when its my turn