Spin Rates - GI Irons

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I got fitted for new irons yesterday at Silvermere.

I was really impressed with the whole experience - the fitter watched me hit some shots with my current irons, asked what I was looking for in new irons and we took things from there. He set some 'goals' around launch angle, descent and efficiency. My goal was to improve my dispersion and wasnt particularly worried about giving up a small bit of distance as I dont tend to struggle hitting the ball a long way, it's the direction thats awful!

However... We didnt touch on spin rates, but I've got all the data from the session and even my best shots I was only getting 5k spin with a 7 iron - is this typical with GI irons or should I be looking for around the 7k mark? Just a nagging doubt I need to get rid of!

All other 'goals' were met so maybe he didnt touch upon the spin as he wasnt worried about it. In fact it wasn't even mentioned at all throughout the session. Is it not something that gets looked at too closely anymore, particularly for GI irons?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yep that's around ball park figures for a gi7i

with the cg being placed in the head to aid a higher launch angle in order to give a steeper descent angle to try to help 'stop' on landing because the spin rate will be lower - it's the trade off for tad better moi etc

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I was getting under 5k spin on apex cf irons, tried out the apex pros and I immediately went up to around 6500- 7k, I bought the pros.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Club fitting is a complete science in itself. There is the guideline figure that you multiply the number on the bottom of the club by 1000 to get the 'correct' spin rate for that club but there are so many variables. Launch angle, swing speed, shaft characteristics, desired ball flight etc all play a part in finding the best solution for each individual. If the fitted club does what you want it to do then it is the correct fit.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
yep that's around ball park figures for a gi7i

with the cg being placed in the head to aid a higher launch angle in order to give a steeper descent angle to try to help 'stop' on landing because the spin rate will be lower - it's the trade off for tad better moi etc

Thanks Coach. Descent angle was averaging at 48deg so bang in the target of 45-50 that we set at the start of the session so I guess I'll be fine with that

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Club fitting is a complete science in itself. There is the guideline figure that you multiply the number on the bottom of the club by 1000 to get the 'correct' spin rate for that club but there are so many variables. Launch angle, swing speed, shaft characteristics, desired ball flight etc all play a part in finding the best solution for each individual. If the fitted club does what you want it to do then it is the correct fit.

Cheers D4S - I had heard the same x 1000 stat which was the primary reason for my post really with it being far lower. Launch and descent were bang on though and Coach explains it well as to why it is lower with GI irons

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Might be worth adding that x1000 spin per iron number referred to the traditional loft 7i, if your GI is lofted like a traditional 5i than 5k spin is bang on.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
- I had heard the same x 1000 stat which was the primary reason for my post really with it being far lower. Launch and descent were bang on though and Coach explains it well as to why it is lower with GI irons

# of i x 1000 only really a generalized ball park area spin rate for the more conventionally designed irons like blades/semi blades/small cavity backs that kinda thing - & then only with optimum center strike patterns

as to why the cg placement in the more gi irons is moved some to give the ability to have a higher launch so steeper descent angle to compensate for the lower static loft angle & lower spin rate that comes with the different designed gi heads that give a tad more opportunity for both distance + forgiveness

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson on track man last night and my pro had a print out of the average tour numbers on track man. For a 7i the average spin was 7k and the average launch was 16 degrees. Compared to my numbers, I was around 6k average and launching at 18.

I am currently using Ping Ie irons, so they aren't the strongest lofted irons ever and aren't the weakest either. I was pretty happy with this to be honest but as Coach said, strike was the main contributor to the spin numbers. I had one at like 7200 and a few in the low 5000's.

This is actually the link to the print out he had: https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like Coffey states above, the multiplying the head number by 1000 is really for pros & top amateurs. Most club golfers will be 4 to 6K rpm with a 7i depending on clubhead speed, direction & angle of attack. The OP's numbers are fine imho.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I got fitted for new irons yesterday at Silvermere.

I was really impressed with the whole experience - the fitter watched me hit some shots with my current irons, asked what I was looking for in new irons and we took things from there. He set some 'goals' around launch angle, descent and efficiency. My goal was to improve my dispersion and wasnt particularly worried about giving up a small bit of distance as I dont tend to struggle hitting the ball a long way, it's the direction thats awful!

However... We didnt touch on spin rates, but I've got all the data from the session and even my best shots I was only getting 5k spin with a 7 iron - is this typical with GI irons or should I be looking for around the 7k mark? Just a nagging doubt I need to get rid of!

All other 'goals' were met so maybe he didnt touch upon the spin as he wasnt worried about it. In fact it wasn't even mentioned at all throughout the session. Is it not something that gets looked at too closely anymore, particularly for GI irons?

Did you enjoy the process at Silvermere. Personally if the dispersion and distance are much improved I wouldn't necessarily get too hung up on spin rates especially if he wasn't trying to tweak it

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Did you enjoy the process at Silvermere. Personally if the dispersion and distance are much improved I wouldn't necessarily get too hung up on spin rates especially if he wasn't trying to tweak it

Yeah it was great, the guy clearly knew his stuff. Like I said, distance isn't the problem with me, I just wanted to tighten it all up. I hit it a long way already (165-170 carry 7i) but it's all over the place - usually dead left but a bad swing is over the top and miles right. He asked if I was prepared to give up 10 yards which fine, however by the time I had gone through all clubs and shafts I somehow gained 10 yards and tightened dispersion massively so all good.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
JUst to add that I recently had a gapping session with my TM R11 irons and my 7 iron was spinning at an average of 5427rpm and an average carry of 163 yards with a further 11 yards of roll.
I hope this helps set your mind a bit more at ease.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah it was great, the guy clearly knew his stuff. Like I said, distance isn't the problem with me, I just wanted to tighten it all up. I hit it a long way already (165-170 carry 7i) but it's all over the place - usually dead left but a bad swing is over the top and miles right. He asked if I was prepared to give up 10 yards which fine, however by the time I had gone through all clubs and shafts I somehow gained 10 yards and tightened dispersion massively so all good.

Stick with that then. Happy days. Where you playing these days?