Spike marks

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just a quick one, I know you cant repair spike marks on the green before you putt.

But on Sunday I was playing with an old chap 82 yr young, was on the green and he walked over to mark his ball, as yet again he was closer than me :rolleyes: but he lost his balance and did a semi-fall and slide in front of my ball.

He left 2 little tram lines with his heel across my line, which he then repaired for me.

Was he right to do that or could I have done this one time or should I have played it as it was ??

Cheers

Del

P.S I then went on to miss the 8" putt away :thup:

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Luckily this been the subject of a Decision

16-1a/13 Line of Putt Damaged Accidentally by Opponent, Fellow-Competitor or Their Caddies

"Q. An opponent, fellow-competitor or one of their caddies accidentally steps on and damages the player's line of putt. What is the ruling?

A. There is no penalty. Rule 1-2 is not applicable as the physical conditions were not altered with the intent of affecting the playing of the hole.
In equity (Rule 1-4), the player may have the line of putt restored to its original condition. The player is entitled to the lie and line of putt he had when his ball came to rest. The line of putt may be restored by anyone.

If it is not possible to restore the line of putt, the player would be justified in requesting the Committee to grant relief. If the damage is severe enough, the Committee may declare the area to be ground under repair, in which case the competitor may take relief under Rule 25-1b(iii). (Revised)"

So Ok to repair your line in those circumstances and the chap who damaged it incurs no penalty as it was accidental.

Love the idea of the Committee coming out to have a look. Deciding it is too bad to repair, calling for the greenkeeper to mark it as GUR and you getting relief under Rule 25. How embarrased would the chap be feeling at that. :confused:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
"The player is entitled to the lie and line of putt he had when his ball came to rest."

this is a very important principle in the rules and one worth noting. Things that change after your ball has come to rest can generally be repaired or replaced.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
"The player is entitled to the lie and line of putt he had when his ball came to rest."

this is a very important principle in the rules and one worth noting. Things that change after your ball has come to rest can generally be repaired or replaced.

So does this mean that an old spike mark cannot be repaired until you have all finished putting, but a fresh one made by your opponent walking across your line can?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So does this mean that an old spike mark cannot be repaired until you have all finished putting, but a fresh one made by your opponent walking across your line can?

yes 16-1a/13 quoted above covers exactly that, but obviously the nature of the damage isn't limited to spike marks. fresh in this context means created after you ball came to rest where it is

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love the idea of the Committee coming out to have a look. Deciding it is too bad to repair, calling for the greenkeeper to mark it as GUR ............

And pace of play issue is a continual concern for the R&A????

You could imagine this happening to the first group out on a Saturday morning medal!!?? The whole field backed up whilst someone gets "the committee" member out of bed!!! I could also imagine their response......**!!@@!&^! off :)