Speith V Woods

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Serious question, put in context, whose performance has been the better/most unexpected over the first 2 days?

Speith has set a new scoring record, but has been the Worlds in form player for a couple of months

Woods has played a handful of tournaments in the last 12 months and had the short game of a duffer, but is just outside top 10, I truly believed he had absolutely no chance of making the cut

Both phenomenal performances in their own right, I cannot pick which is better

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Was going to ask the same about Woods/Rory but at least Rory showed some class on the inward 9

Speith - who knows! Could hold on and set a new Masters record.... could shoot a couple over and let 10 players back into it...

will be an interesting day tomorrow.

Answering your question Speith has done well, Woods was always going to bump it round close to par IMO but not go uber low.... if he shoots a 65 tomorrow I'd be very, very, very surprised,... more chance of a 75.

Last edited:

TigerIsAmazing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Serious question, put in context, whose performance has been the better/most unexpected over the first 2 days?

Speith has set a new scoring record, but has been the Worlds in form player for a couple of months

Woods has played a handful of tournaments in the last 12 months and had the short game of a duffer, but is just outside top 10, I truly believed he had absolutely no chance of making the cut

difficult, as both have challenges they have overcome.

Neither is better in my view based upon 36 holes, both are different

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site

Old speith's performance has been unreal but not unexpected. Old tiger's performance has been good and probably more unexpected than Speith

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think you have to go Speith, he has made it look easy! Not Woods's biggest fan but have been really impressed and enjoyed watching him, particularly how he has got his short game back under such scrutiny shows why he is one of the greats, Speith takes it but it's only half time.

Pippo_T

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a woods fan and he has done fantastic in the circumstances. But Speith has set the all-time 36 hole scoring record to lead by 5. That is exceptional and Woods's return to acceptable golf is impressive and welcome but not on the level of Speith.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both great performances, Speith a little more than expected than Tiger to be so high up, i always felt tiger would make the cut.
Hope jordan can carry the expectation forward and not have the wobble he did last year.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Speith by a country mile. He's beaten a 39 (?) year old record and been lowest scorer both days.

Woods has had trouble chipping.

I'd even say that I'm even more surprised with Hoffman than either Speith or Woods. Brilliant scoring for someone who's always been under the radar. Plus he's got rid of the mullet.

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just playing Devils Advocate, but Woods has completed just one 72 hole tournament in 12 months, had back surgery, and had such a poor short game, some thought he wouldn't play again

D

Deleted member 15344

Woods to make the cut was unexpected for many

But Spieth has destroyed the course for the first two days - immense performance so far closely followed by Hoffmans

dontfancythisputt

Club Champion
Visit site
Both memorable for different reasons, both equally enjoyable viewing for me.

Not wishing to start a separate debate but I was again I bit disappointed with how quickly Rory let his head go. He is pure talent in my view but he gives me the impression that he loses his focus very quickly when things are not going his way. Granted he is still young but that for me is the biggest difference between him and tiger in him prime. Rory showed his skill to get back in it but I think a bit of control may have saved him a few shots mid round yesterday. Look at tiger on day 1. Speith has yet to show how he deals with the off days on the big stages.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spieth has played remarkably well and has the nod over Woods for me. Although TW has had a great tournament so far.

Rory worries me, he has a tendency to lose his cool a bit when things aren't going his way. I think the weight of expectation for the first 2 days took its toll but today I think he will have his best day. Almost out of the running, he will have nothing to lose so I wouldn't be surprised if he carded a very low score.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not after watching Tiger on the range on Monday/Tuesday, I saw more than enough there to put a few quid on him EW. The guy was oozing confidence with the wee clubs.

Yeah this. Tiger looked great on the range on Monday and Tuesday, and the fact he entered the Par 3 was the biggest indication of his confidence in his short game. Tiger will win at least one tournament this year if he stays fit. Wouldn't surprise me if he won a major.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say Tiger's is the more unexpected. Spieth has been playing well for a while and, whilst most probably didnt expect such a low score, its not surprising that he's leading. Many weren't expecting Woods to make the cut.