Southport Area

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have booked our 2023 golf trip to Southport. So, for the golf I'm looking at West Derby, Formby Hall and Hesketh. Although the first two, after a quick check, seem to have gone down hill of late. Any other suggestions? Leaving out the big guns. We ain't paying £100 + for golf.

The Lion

Visit site
I’m local so have a few ideas for you.

First, off season you’ll get much better deals, with no more than £100ish each at all but the Royals.

The big name links courses are also usually in decent nick even midwinter…

The best way is to plan it yourself. You’ll save plenty of cash. Golf travel companies rarely seem competitive vs planning yourself and using the various ways of keeping costs reasonable which are unique to independent travellers!

You could also look to do 36 in a day to get more value, whether at a single course or two rounds (eg one County Card and one twilight; see below).
Some courses (eg S&A and Wallasey) offer special twilight rates, usually for fourballs. Others may do this too, but they’re not always advertised so it’s best to call and enquire.

Lower priced quality courses include Hesketh, Formby Ladies, Caldy, Bromborough, Heswall and Ormskirk.

Most take County Card too, including Wallasey (around £85 summer), so it’s worth calling for rates. Do check their websites for prices: on County Card these are around £42/50/40/45/50 iirc. Formby Ladies don’t do CC, but their GF is a day rate — so you can play twice.
Finally, The Open is at Hoylake this year, and they all hike rates ridiculously, even for average courses, so I’d recommend not visiting in or around July.

Also, what have you heard about Formby Hall? Genuinely interested as I’ve never played it…

Happy to help with suggestions anytime ??

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I was going to suggest Formby Ladies as it isn't one of the big guns but the green fees have risen to your limit, dare to think what the major courses are charging.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m local so have a few ideas for you.

First, off season you’ll get much better deals, with no more than £100ish each at all but the Royals.

The big name links courses are also usually in decent nick even midwinter…

The best way is to plan it yourself. You’ll save plenty of cash. Golf travel companies rarely seem competitive vs planning yourself and using the various ways of keeping costs reasonable which are unique to independent travellers!

You could also look to do 36 in a day to get more value, whether at a single course or two rounds (eg one County Card and one twilight; see below).
Some courses (eg S&A and Wallasey) offer special twilight rates, usually for fourballs. Others may do this too, but they’re not always advertised so it’s best to call and enquire.

Lower priced quality courses include Hesketh, Formby Ladies, Caldy, Bromborough, Heswall and Ormskirk.

Most take County Card too, including Wallasey (around £85 summer), so it’s worth calling for rates. Do check their websites for prices: on County Card these are around £42/50/40/45/50 iirc. Formby Ladies don’t do CC, but their GF is a day rate — so you can play twice.
Finally, The Open is at Hoylake this year, and they all hike rates ridiculously, even for average courses, so I’d recommend not visiting in or around July.

Also, what have you heard about Formby Hall? Genuinely interested as I’ve never played it…

Happy to help with suggestions anytime ??

The info on Formby Hall was garnered from another golf website with loads of reviews. With it being a "resort" type place I was not sure. As for some of your replies, many thanks, but we are going to Southport itself. I should have been more specific. I've played Wallasey, and that was the hardest place I've ever played golf. Ormskirk looks a promising place though. What about West Derby? The pics on their website look great!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
When are you going? I would agree with the advice about about "off season" condition of the top venues

Long time since I've been, but last time I played Hesketh, I thought the holes around the clubhouse were super, the rest was uninspiring. (hope that's not unfair)

Ormskirk was great last time I played it, best course that people outside the area have never heard of! :)

BUT, if you "ain't paying £100 for golf..." why the blooming heck are you heading to Southport! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Albo

Visit site
Southport Muni? Good links course that, used to play there maaaaany moons ago. Dirt cheap so it was back then, dunno if it’s even a thing anymore?

Formby itself is a great track, Hillside often gets better reviews than Birkdale, though all of these would be somewhat over budget I guess.
S&A you might get on for less than £100, not sure, Bootle muni will def be in budget just watch out for the scallys robbing your ball off the fairway and trying to sell it back to you ! Happy days from my early golf playing days chasing them.
Ormskirk is a nice track in fairness
Head over to Skem and play Beacon Park
Gathurst was a decent track back in the day, not sure what the cost of that would be

CountLippe

Visit site
Southport old links isn't bad. Its only a 9 holer, but at £45 summer rate, easily the most affordable.

Ormskirk as others have said is great, but green fees are just shy of £100. Formby ladies and Hesketh are a bit less but still around £80/£90. Formby ladies is nice, but it is very short and very tight. Hesketh has good holes around the club house, but the others divide opinion. Personally I don't think any are worth the green fee, but maybe I'm out of touch with what you should expect to pay these days.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Ormskirk now £95 in the summer weekday.... wow, I'm suprised. Sign of tthe times I suppose

Crikey, we played it last year and it was 70 I think - big jump in a year!

Great course though, that and pleasington were probably my favourites last year... always helps when you have a good round though.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Southport Muni? Good links course that, used to play there maaaaany moons ago. Dirt cheap so it was back then, dunno if it’s even a thing anymore?

Formby itself is a great track, Hillside often gets better reviews than Birkdale, though all of these would be somewhat over budget I guess.
S&A you might get on for less than £100, not sure, Bootle muni will def be in budget just watch out for the scallys robbing your ball off the fairway and trying to sell it back to you ! Happy days from my early golf playing days chasing them.
Ormskirk is a nice track in fairness
Head over to Skem and play Beacon Park
Gathurst was a decent track back in the day, not sure what the cost of that would be

Looks like Beacon park is to close

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gathurst is a good shout as we play one on the way in, one nearby where we stay, and one on the way back. So ormskirk and hesketh lead the way on the other two.
PS we go at the end of June. Southport was chosen coz we've not been over that area. We are HC 15/26 and 28. We tried siloth last year coz one had always wanted to play it, the 28hc. He couldn't reach the fairways on a lot of the holes. Still, it's out of his system now. The top courses in Southport would chew him up and spit him out. Lol

Albo

Visit site
No votes for West Derby?
I used to be a member of a work society and that was one of the courses we played, but for the life of me I can’t recall it, it’s probably a good track as the guy who ran the society liked his golf and always picked good courses but they had to fit a budget.
It’s probably good but I can’t hang my hat on it as it’s been so many years since I played and can’t fully remember it

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I had a look at their place but could find their prices

Its £90 midweek and £110 weekend from April to October.

Cracking little course - short but accuracy required. Anything off the fairways is deep heather. I ended up with a load of birdies but also a load of doubles etc. That Heather is brutal!