Southport accommodation advice

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Going to to play West Lancs in Oct... before I do my usual and book Premier Inn, any advice on alternative Hotels around Southport would be appreciated.

I was looking at over spending on Formby Hall, so I could play 9 holes/practice... then Trip Advisor makes it sound like a dump... so less keen. I guess there's umpteen Ma Kelly's B&Bs, and everything in between.

Any recommendations?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Depending on how much you get formby hall for I'd stick with your original plan. I wouldn't describe it as a dump per se.

Me and the missus went in early November last year before the lockdown and thought it was okay. Room was nice and had a patio that opened to the 10th hole. Facilities were decent enough and there's a pool etc. The food outlets were so so but you're near enough to both Southport and formby for that to not be an issue.

Having said that I seem to remember it costing a fair bit even for that time of the year.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have stayed at the Vincent, very swanky.
Travel lodge, parking was a PITA
Premier inn. No probs. That would be my first choice should I return.

peld

Visit site
Why not stay in Liverpool if you are only playing West Lancs? Far more choice for food and drink, and no chance of booking Fawlty Towers.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Vincent is the best hotel in Southport by a country mile... bumped into Freddie Couples in there when he played the senior open at Birkdale a few years ago. Not cheap though. Bliss Hotel or Hotel 21 are probably the next best.
Avoid the Scarasbrick like the plague....
Or go for a small family run B&B or like the others have said , Travelodge and Premier Inn are similar. You may get a decent rate at Formby Hall if you say you will use the golf facilities.... call them direct!