Sore right wrist and left arm from golf (right hand golfer)

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone had similar ongoing issue or understand why the following may be happening. I'm getting back into the golf this year and don't want to run the risk of doing a serious injury that will prevent me from playing for weeks.

Any time a play a round of golf, I have a significant pain in my right wrist (at protruding bone is at base of little finger) for a couple of days after. I've been to a physio who says that it is ligament strain type injury in little finger/wrist. I know it's golf that's causing it as died down over winter, back with a bang again in last few weeks....

I think that at the top of my backswing (right handed btw), I'm putting/ moving my wrists in an awkward position.

To describe my swing, I swing with shoulders until the club is horizontal to ground then cock my wrist with further rotation to complete swing. Doing this last part slowly, I can see that the little finger of left hand extends ever so slightly further away from left shoulder (this results in a tightness in musles in left arm also), this left wrist movement effectively forces the right wrist to rotate accordingly also, leaving right wrist bent at max angle wrt right arm and slightly twisted also.

Having explained it above, it seems obvious my wrist action at top of backswing is the problem, however unclear how to correct, don't want to practice again until I first gknow what to correct it to.

Does an ideal swing result in left wrist being flat with respect to left arm or is some cupping allowed/preferable?

For right wrist, what angle would you expect the palm/fingers to make with your right arm?

Would anyone have any good video clips/pics on what should happen as club transitions from horizontal at halfway pt in backswing to top of backswing and any pics of best wrist position at top of backswing.

I'd like to get some info and practice myself before visiting a golf Pro, so that I have a bas eunderstanding of what is correct first.

Any feedback is appreciated, also thanks for persevering this far ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you haven't taken a golf club with you to show your physio your swing it's the first thing I would do... you won't get any comment on the golf aspect but you will get very clear advice on how it's affecting you.

there's also the question of warming up - whilst arm and wrist will normally get exercised prior to play better than hamstrings etc it may be wise to find ways of relaxing those muscles so they don't contribute to any strain on the ligaments

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
In regards the wrist cock. To check you have it right. Hold the club straight out in front of you, then just cock the wrist so the club is vertical. That is the position, you need to have at the top of the back swing. The sore arm part do you have your arm relaxed at set up or is it tense? If its tense this might cause the pain the following day, as there will have been to much tension in the arm when you swing into the backswing. Hope that makes sense? I know what I mean!!

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
if you haven't taken a golf club with you to show your physio your swing it's the first thing I would do... you won't get any comment on the golf aspect but you will get very clear advice on how it's affecting you.

there's also the question of warming up - whilst arm and wrist will normally get exercised prior to play better than hamstrings etc it may be wise to find ways of relaxing those muscles so they don't contribute to any strain on the ligaments

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the warm-up/stretching of arm & wrist to see if that loosens things before playing again. And definitely will bring club with me to physio as you suggest if still troubling me after next time - kinda obvious ocnce you say it!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With regards to Dave's post above, there was a very good video put up a couple of weeks ago show the correct movements to the top of the backswing (if there is such a thing).

I can't remember which thread it was on, but maybe someone else will remember and point you to it.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Probably a no-go'er this but have you considered grip pressure?

I.E Are you choking the life out of the grip and causing a strain?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably a no-goer this but have you considered grip pressure?

Good point. I went for a practise. I had forgotten my glove and found I was gripping the club harder. Had a sore wrist the next day!

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
With regards to Dave's post above, there was a very good video put up a couple of weeks ago show the correct movements to the top of the backswing (if there is such a thing).

I can't remember which thread it was on, but maybe someone else will remember and point you to it.

Would you ahve any idea what the thead subject was - I can then take a trawl through and se if I can discover the video you mention. Cheers.

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
Probably a no-go'er this but have you considered grip pressure?

Yes, possibly am, definitely am keeping the left arm too taut - so will try looening grip and arms during my next driving range practice. Thanks for the input.