Solheim Cup 2019

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please explain to me what actually is "tournament sharp" ?
It's the difference between practice and having a card in your hand. I've heard football pro's say how it takes until about the 4th or 5th game of the season, league, before they are actually match sharp, golf will be the same.

You can't recreate tournament play, nerves etc just by practising. It's the same in all sports.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's the difference between practice and having a card in your hand. I've heard football pro's say how it takes until about the 4th or 5th game of the season, league, before they are actually match sharp, golf will be the same.

You can't recreate tournament play, nerves etc just by practising. It's the same in all sports.

She has played in this event more than any of the current team and it’s not tournament golf it’s match play a totally different game to having a card in your hand. She is definitely someone you want in your team

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hope we get to see AVD vs Angel Yin on Sunday, that would be great fun, proper stripe show from the two biggest bombers on the LPGA.

Looking forward to the Solheim for the first time, been more invested in the LPGA this year, watched more tournaments and so care for the first time. I think the US will be too strong again - Lexi Thompson, Nelly Korda, Danielle Kang, Lizette Salas and Jessica Korda is an incredibly strong top 5. Add in Megan Khang, Angel Yin, then Marina Alex has had an incredibly consistent year, Brittany Altomare hasn't missed a cut all year, and then you've got the two experienced girls in Cristie Kerr and Stacy Lewis who will likely lock up spots. Very strong team.

Surprised Europe picked Pettersen, huge gamble given her lack of golf since her injury and giving birth. Don't think I'd have picked her.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
She has played in this event more than any of the current team and it’s not tournament golf it’s match play a totally different game to having a card in your hand. She is definitely someone you want in your team
Picking on past exploits rather than current form is a dangerous route to go down, not literally of course. It will either be a genius pick or a disaster. A Darren Clarke wildcard pick or a Thomas Bjorn wildcard pick. I'm with Dan, I would not have taken such a risk but I'm looking forward to being hopelessly wrong.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hope we get to see AVD vs Angel Yin on Sunday, that would be great fun, proper stripe show from the two biggest bombers on the LPGA.

Looking forward to the Solheim for the first time, been more invested in the LPGA this year, watched more tournaments and so care for the first time. I think the US will be too strong again - Lexi Thompson, Nelly Korda, Danielle Kang, Lizette Salas and Jessica Korda is an incredibly strong top 5. Add in Megan Khang, Angel Yin, then Marina Alex has had an incredibly consistent year, Brittany Altomare hasn't missed a cut all year, and then you've got the two experienced girls in Cristie Kerr and Stacy Lewis who will likely lock up spots. Very strong team.

Surprised Europe picked Pettersen, huge gamble given her lack of golf since her injury and giving birth. Don't think I'd have picked her.
I think you're right regarding the US team. Not many chinks there and so need them to have off days and our girls really step up to keep it close. Personally I'd have made Pettersen a vice captain as I think she'd be excellent in terms of experience around the course and in the team room but think its a big risk playing her with such limited golf

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you're right regarding the US team. Not many chinks there and so need them to have off days and our girls really step up to keep it close. Personally I'd have made Pettersen a vice captain as I think she'd be excellent in terms of experience around the course and in the team room but think its a big risk playing her with such limited golf

Me too. I'd have got Pettersen as VC and picked Mel Reid if they wanted a bit of Solheim experience.

Visit site
I think Reid would be a better option. Playing regularly and half decently and with experience.

Reid almost lost her card she shad been playing so badly. She has strung a few results together and is certainly getting back on track. I juts think her confidence would still be Shakey after the last few years and if she was under the cosh would it hold up.

No one knows but I can just see that as a possible reason not to pick her.