Solheim Cup 2019

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Early start but following the success of the Open at Woburn I thought it worth seeing if we can get a thread going on this. The domination of S.E. Asian golfers in womens golf fundamentally weakens this for me, not the elite golfers that are on show in the Ryder Cup, but I would still love Europe to beat the USA, a team that consistently come across as unpleasant to a greater degree than their male counterparts.

Anyway, Europe announced their team yesterday and the glaring shock is the choice of Suzann Pettersen, a person who has only played twice in the last two years, having given birth in that time. Huge gamble, how can she be tournament sharp?

Anyone going up to Gleneagles to watch?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pettersen is a gamble but it sounds like she's playing two more tournaments before the event so will have playing time. For me, it's a bit different being matchplay where you don't need to be 100% on for every shot and where experience could be telling. Saying that I'd probably have played save and gone with Mel Reid given some form coming back and past experience.

For the US team i'd say the face painting etc isn't for everyone but the new players coming through seem very likeable and play some good golf. Likes of Danielle Kang and Lizette Salas for example came across well with No Laying Up guys. Lexi seems to battle some issues but has dealt with previous disappointments well.

Big ask for Europe to win though.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We'll be heading up to Gleneagles on the Sunday for the final day's play. Should be a good day out especially as our club has laid on a coach to eliminate the need for a designated driver :).

Pettersen is hard as nails and will give some real backbone to the belief of the team - could be an inspired selection.

D

Deleted member 21258

Great to see Anne Van Dam made the team, her swing is so nice to watch. #swingenvy

Highlights to be shown on bbc tv, hopefully catch them on iplayer.

stirry

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am going up on Friday with my wife, her first experience of a golf tournament, hopefully its a great day . I would have thought Mel Reid would have been the better choice. Only time will tell.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wonder if Bronty is still a stroppy little bitch ( her behaviour at the CC was appalling) if she is that might put the yanks of by out stropping them(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would love to see a European win but can't help thinking there is too much strength in the US team. Not convinced about the Pettersen choice and all for a bit of experience but think I'd want someone that has been playing, not someone now playing two events trying to find something

Visit site
My daughters love golf and initially we were going to go up for the whole week and watch, then we realised the tour had gone and played an absolute blinder and started the whole thing one week after the school holidays. Madness, surely a week earlier in the schedule could have been worked out and crowd sizes would of tripled in the week.

Still debating if to go up for the weekend but its a very long way for 2 days.

I think the Peterson inclusion is all based on her making every one cry last time out and shes definitely ruffled feather before, shes a born competitor and that's what you need around the team which has some real good young talent in there. Anna Van Dam is a real breath of fresh air for ladies european golf.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
spanky will be there... though hiding in the bushes with his rain mack on no doubt:LOL::unsure:

Oh you better believe I will be there, no need to hide in the bushes mind you as all the balls you lost the last time you were down will be long gone.

Suzann is a great addition to the team and worth going just to see her, looking forward to see how they play the course and where the tees will be.

Our last medal on the PGA is this weekend and we are playing of the Blue Tees, it's a slog for sure

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh you better believe I will be there, no need to hide in the bushes mind you as all the balls you lost the last time you were down will be long gone.

Suzann is a great addition to the team and worth going just to see her, looking forward to see how they play the course and where the tees will be.

Our last medal on the PGA is this weekend and we are playing of the Blue Tees, it's a slog for sure
i think you must be getting confused dear boy, i didn't loose a ball, as you keep reminding me.... i don't hit it far enogh to lose any:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 23344

I have golfing buddies (husband and wife) who are going for the whole event.

User20204

Visit site
how can she be tournament sharp?

Please explain to me what actually is "tournament sharp" ?

Would love to see a European win but can't help thinking there is too much strength in the US team.

Yet only today I was reading this is the weakest US team in years and possibly the strongest Euro team in years, so either the article I was reading knows nothing or, well I don't know.