Solar panels , would you ?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Day 2, so still in testing mode as I like to know what features ive added

I entered the cheap rates at 53% full, so between 16:00 and 01:30 we used 47% of the battery

however it didnt charge because yesterday was a good solar day and it saw us export 9kw to the grid so its left room to take that onboard

I was up at 5 for work so thought id try something to trick it to charge which worked to I know how to get it to charge right that second if needed , that got it up to 75%

I do wonder what features will appear overtime with the over the air updates because the ability to add your tariff prices and not just put charge between these hours was only added a few months back
Sounds like you will have to stop playing golf as you will be spending too much time playing with your new baby! ?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
however it didnt charge because yesterday was a good solar day and it saw us export 9kw to the grid so its left room to take that onboard
That's quite clever of it, but sounds like a California-based philosophy.
Here in the UK, using yesterday's solar yield to predict tomorrow's seems a bit futile.
Perhaps in a future update they'll add a feed from the Met Office ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's quite clever of it, but sounds like a California-based philosophy.
Here in the UK, using yesterday's solar yield to predict tomorrow's seems a bit futile.
Perhaps in a future update they'll add a feed from the Met Office ?

yes its not the best policy, summer fine but winter lol not a chance. what im going to play around with (after reading) is changing the fee for electric during the night to 1p and export at 1p.. then day at £1 , then it will avoid the day at all cost and wont see export as a loss so should auto charge the battery (nice work around)

I played around with it this morning before I left for work, changed the back up level to 75% so the battery instantly charged to 75% and when I got to work I set it back to 0% reserved for back up. (all within the cheap hours) so its easy to trick it to charge, as if you are below the amount you set for back up it will make that available.

ill play tonight with the 1p setting (as I had read that before but couldnt find it when setting up) and go from there)

I believe they want the details so the app can say look we saved you £1 a day (based on what you have put in) but im keeping an eye on the actual smart metre costs anyways I dont need the app to inform aswell lol

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yes its not the best policy, summer fine but winter lol not a chance. what im going to play around with (after reading) is changing the fee for electric during the night to 1p and export at 1p.. then day at £1 , then it will avoid the day at all cost and wont see export as a loss so should auto charge the battery (nice work around)

I played around with it this morning before I left for work, changed the back up level to 75% so the battery instantly charged to 75% and when I got to work I set it back to 0% reserved for back up. (all within the cheap hours) so its easy to trick it to charge, as if you are below the amount you set for back up it will make that available.

ill play tonight with the 1p setting (as I had read that before but couldnt find it when setting up) and go from there)

I believe they want the details so the app can say look we saved you £1 a day (based on what you have put in) but im keeping an eye on the actual smart metre costs anyways I dont need the app to inform aswell lol

This plan worked.

Full battery . By 10am after it took over the house at 0630

Solar now diverted to grid

In summer can reset it to save room to use max solar but now it's October I'm gonna leave like this to make sure battery is never short.

Can set up seasons anyways so it's auto set up to set up from may-sept use one plan and from oct-april use this

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So over a month with the battery in full swing now

£41 was the leccy bill , compared to £110 before the system arrived

Still getting okay production on the panels, anything from 1kw-6kw a day .. which considering time of year tops up nicely

My cheap cheap tariff expires in Feb and the one im trying to get on (intelligent octopus) is 10p in the cheap hours (up from 5.5p I'm paying now) but considering how expensive electric is and how much I use. Plus the fact it used to be 14p in the day I'd say that's good enough to still save a bundle

24p a kw saving compared to the price cap , so over £5 a day saved

Ofc when the cap rises roughly 20% I predict it will rise to 12p night but that would push the saving to 28p a kw.

All swings and roundabouts

Safe to say I'm glad I took the plunge
24% of a 13.5kw battery left to last until 01:30 when it charges .. should make it only the washing on now. And should a power cut hit.. it will see us through

Roll on may time when peak solar returns and will go completely grid free for days

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
A house we're buying has Solar panels is there any advice you guys would give?
1. You absolutely must ensure the panels are owned by the seller. There were a lot of cases where unscrupulous companies got homeowners to sign over their roofs in return for "free electricity", while the company benefitted from the FIT payments. If these panels are not owned by the seller, you should walk away.
2. Assuming there is a FIT contract in place, getting it transferred is quite involved. The seller has to fill in quite a long form to authorise the transfer of the contract to the buyer (including dated photo of the generation meter), and then the buyer fills in part 2 of the form to finalise the transfer. You must make it a condition of sale that the seller fills in part 1 of this form and passes it on to you, or you'll never be able to take over the FIT payments. (I know about this because in 2021 I sold my house with panels).
3. If you're lucky, the FIT contract will date from around 2011 - that will give you the top FIT rate.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
1. You absolutely must ensure the panels are owned by the seller. There were a lot of cases where unscrupulous companies got homeowners to sign over their roofs in return for "free electricity", while the company benefitted from the FIT payments. If these panels are not owned by the seller, you should walk away.
2. Assuming there is a FIT contract in place, getting it transferred is quite involved. The seller has to fill in quite a long form to authorise the transfer of the contract to the buyer (including dated photo of the generation meter), and then the buyer fills in part 2 of the form to finalise the transfer. You must make it a condition of sale that the seller fills in part 1 of this form and passes it on to you, or you'll never be able to take over the FIT payments. (I know about this because in 2021 I sold my house with panels).
3. If you're lucky, the FIT contract will date from around 2011 - that will give you the top FIT rate.

Quote,
If you're lucky, the FIT contract will date from around 2011 - that will give you the top FIT rate.

This? we had ours done at that time and they are making in excess of £2K tax free a year. The fit contract from 2011 runs for 25 years so if the FIT is from that time you would have 13 years to go ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So my "cheap" (normal old school rate) ends sunday morning

I move from 14p day and 5.5p night to 44p day and 12p night

however its time to access the system

installed 9th may . I have produced 3222.4kw of electric (until now)
once you add the savings together with the 13.5kw a day I move into the battery for charging up at the cheap rate and using in the day I have saved (bear in mind it includes the savings already filled in until may on the battery as its a set 13.5 every day so its predictable) of £787.92 , I can see by may that I could have saved £1000 roughly off year 1 energy bill.. predicting £1500 saving min a year going forward . that saving is based all against the current gov cap of 34p a kw.. rather than the higher rate I pay by using a cheap night tariff

quick sums of 22p a kw saved at the 13.5 kw a day is £1084 saved from the battery and 3500 predicted solar (not a bad prediction when its 3222 to now) at 22p a kw is £770 , so £1850 saving per year on that. real savings will be different and I will use actual paid for figures based on what it should of cost on standard vs what I paid

but im happy with year one saving of roughly £1000.. pay back of system 8 years based on the above figures. more than happy with that.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So my "cheap" (normal old school rate) ends sunday morning

I move from 14p day and 5.5p night to 44p day and 12p night

however its time to access the system

installed 9th may . I have produced 3222.4kw of electric (until now)
once you add the savings together with the 13.5kw a day I move into the battery for charging up at the cheap rate and using in the day I have saved (bear in mind it includes the savings already filled in until may on the battery as its a set 13.5 every day so its predictable) of £787.92 , I can see by may that I could have saved £1000 roughly off year 1 energy bill.. predicting £1500 saving min a year going forward . that saving is based all against the current gov cap of 34p a kw.. rather than the higher rate I pay by using a cheap night tariff

quick sums of 22p a kw saved at the 13.5 kw a day is £1084 saved from the battery and 3500 predicted solar (not a bad prediction when its 3222 to now) at 22p a kw is £770 , so £1850 saving per year on that. real savings will be different and I will use actual paid for figures based on what it should of cost on standard vs what I paid

but im happy with year one saving of roughly £1000.. pay back of system 8 years based on the above figures. more than happy with that.

8 years payback is not bad... I have a quote of 24k!!! so no chance of breaking even. I still dont know why there is no subsidy from the Govt on putting renewables? Solar is cheaper and less invasive than putting a new boiler/air-heat exchange... If the Govt is not going to expand electric generation capacity, and we want to get rid of fossil fuel plants then we need a distributed grid with micro generation. How I wish one of the MPs set up a solar PV company... suddenly we will have solar subsidies..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
8 years payback is not bad... I have a quote of 24k!!! so no chance of breaking even. I still dont know why there is no subsidy from the Govt on putting renewables? Solar is cheaper and less invasive than putting a new boiler/air-heat exchange... If the Govt is not going to expand electric generation capacity, and we want to get rid of fossil fuel plants then we need a distributed grid with micro generation. How I wish one of the MPs set up a solar PV company... suddenly we will have solar subsidies..

Never a truer word spoken.

They used to have better incentives but they got closed

I must have got in at the optimum time

Ordered before vat got slashed so prices were ok

Then I got the vat cut and the cheaper price

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How many panels for that much?!?! We are getting 8 panels and a battery for less than half of that price

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ave said it before and I will say it till I am blue in the face.Solar, heat pumps, Battery and electric charging for cars should now be the norm in new builds. Why we fill fields with solar panels and not on houses is beyond me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ave said it before and I will say it till I am blue in the face.Solar, heat pumps, Battery and electric charging for cars should now be the norm in new builds. Why we fill fields with solar panels and not on houses is beyond me.

100%

All new builds need solar and battery. Say a 3kw array minimum plus a 5kw battery. As standard. With room to add more battery if needed

Charge point easily wired up

Heat pump rather than boilers added

Those houses are then future ready and low carbon

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
100%

All new builds need solar and battery. Say a 3kw array minimum plus a 5kw battery. As standard. With room to add more battery if needed

Charge point easily wired up

Heat pump rather than boilers added

Those houses are then future ready and low carbon
In the village where teh inlaws are living in Germany there is a development of 16 houses like that being build. Just electricity and plumbing.
I am not sure if this is a regional or national thing, but there is no gas connection to new builds allowed anymore.

Just walking around there and about 1 in 4-5 have solar on the roof, even in the older parts of the village.