Solar panels , would you ?

phillarrow

Visit site
Posted link in EV thread but probably worth its own thread.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

We have considered this but not sure this is our forever home.

Our friend went all in a few years back as he's not intending to move, it helped that he worked at a power station so was able to acquire batteries for storage and he's also got heat pumps.

Same opinion as you - not until I'm in my forever home. However, once I am there, I will definitely look into getting solar panels...and anything else that can help reduce my reliance on energy companies. (y)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Posted link in EV thread but probably worth its own thread.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

We have considered this but not sure this is our forever home.

Our friend went all in a few years back as he's not intending to move, it helped that he worked at a power station so was able to acquire batteries for storage and he's also got heat pumps.

I placed an order back in January

Solar should be installed may time, battery they told me june but im planning for december tbh

4.5 kw array with telsa powerwall 2

an investment that with current energy prices I SHOULD (will put that in bold) break even in 8-10 years.. as I have 2 options.. manage my load to charge the battery in my EV charge window .. then use during day with the solar OR just the telsa energy plan (https://octopus.energy/tesla-energy-plan-faq/) in my area thats 11pkwh flat all day, puts the car cost up but reduces everything else

However you mentioned the key phrase in your opening bit.. "forever home" this is our forever home so it makes perfect sense, if you plan to move its a real thinker.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We had panels on our last house, and were on the highest FIT rate. They were very lucrative, bringing in over £2k a year.

But under the current scheme, I would only consider getting them in a combined system with batteries. Avoiding having to import electricity from the grid would be the biggest gain. But batteries are still expensive and have a limited lifetime. Until they get cheap or last longer (preferably both), it still doesn't make economic sense.

Given the UK's weather patterns, a wind turbine would seem to make more sense, but they aren't really feasible in a domestic setting.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Like Clive I had panels fitted when the FIT was at its highest. It is well over 2 K a year tax free which I’d fantastic. BUT it will now not cover gas and Electricity for the year now. A pal has just had panels and batteries installed. Batteries are in the loft and are a stackable system where you can simply add to.
My system has more than paid for itself, so another 15 years of profit return.
That said, would I have them fitted. Deffo if it was my forever home.
I have made tentative enquiries about having batteries installed then having a charging point for a electric car. But there are complications, does it affect my FIT. AS it is the yearly cost for Gas, electricity and car fuel are monstrous. A pal pointed me in the direction of a Facebook site re solar panels, batteries etc. There are loads of enquiries and questions re the same thing everyday along the lines you are asking.
One thing Clive mentioned re wind turbines, apparently and I don’t know this as real. Wind turbines for home are rubbish. The low frequency for the turbines when used in the barge/ boat. Immunity were causing massive vibrations.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing Clive mentioned re wind turbines, apparently and I don’t know this as real. Wind turbines for home are rubbish. The low frequency for the turbines when used in the barge/ boat. Immunity were causing massive vibrations.

And according to the orange genius from across the pond, they kill millions of birds and they give you cancer

RichA

Visit site
We looked into it a few years ago, knowing that the current house would probably be home for the following 10-15 years.
Bought outright, it would have taken 10 years for them to pay themselves then the return would be marginal.
Letting a company install their panels on our roof left me with more questions than the company could answer.
We decided that we were better off spending the money on new double-glazing and putting spare cash into Premium Bonds until we're in a position to move house or make other home improvements.

My BiL has spent a small fortune on panels and storage. They've got 2 Teslas. Their system will have paid for itself after about 30 years. That's a bit too long-term for my lifestyle.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is one of my regrets

15 years ago I had the money but always thought I would sell my house. I am still here. They reckoned it would take ten years to break even.

I also looked in to a ground source heat pump but fitted a new boiler for the same reason.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are seriously considering it. We got a quote last year for £10k ish for a 5KW system with batteries (4.8KW I think it was made of 2 x 2.4KW batteries).
So taking that plus a new hot water tank, and a few other bits, if we could do that for, say £13k then we'd be looking at a 5-6 year RoI by really only relying on gas for the hob. (yes I suppose we could go electric, but I wouldn't want to).

It's becoming attractive.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Weve looked at it but cant really get the maths to stack up, especially with batteries, likewise heat pumps

Looks like were going to redo the oil fired heating system which doesnt feel optimal currently either

greenone

Visit site
I'm currently looking at getting a wind turbine and a battery bank. Bit of a nightmare getting a response from suppliers though.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm currently looking at getting a wind turbine and a battery bank. Bit of a nightmare getting a response from suppliers though.

I went onto my installers website yesterday they arent taking new orders as of 16th march due to increased demand caused by the rising energy prices

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I went onto my installers website yesterday they arent taking new orders as of 16th march due to increased demand caused by the rising energy prices

Same (but very different) I cannot get a company to engage with me to install a wood burning stove in my extension. Needs a hearth, and a twin-wall flue running externally. Nice chunk of work, expecting it to cost about £5-10k but everyone is too busy!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cartainly something that I am considering. When I hit retirement, I want as few monthly outgoings as possible and to add solar panels would take one more thing off the list. That would then only leave the oil heating to pay for monthly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But, would it improve the saleability of the house you are selling?
That's a good question and I don't know the answer to it.

I suspect at the moment the answer is not really because the housing market is quite hot. If energy prices remain high going forwards and the housing market also starts to cool then solar panels would be an attractive bonus. Not worth it right now though, imo.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just out of interest. How are folk doing the calculations. Where are they getting figures from. Reason I ask. The price of electric etc has gone up. There different numbers that folk would Of used 2 months ago. So how accurate are the figures.