Solar panels , would you ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Worked out it doesn’t work with solar if you don’t have an EV. We export just over 2 kWh right now, so if I would have drained the battery solar would be filling it up and hardly any of the free stuff. A lot of work for pennies. The winter ones are better to manage.

We have discharge and charge voltage setting on the inverter. I think I could set both to 0, but i rather not try it.
Maybe use the isolator and for an hour disable the whole system? But only if you know that it starts up just as easy again.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Worked out it doesn’t work with solar if you don’t have an EV. We export just over 2 kWh right now, so if I would have drained the battery solar would be filling it up and hardly any of the free stuff. A lot of work for pennies. The winter ones are better to manage.

We have discharge and charge voltage setting on the inverter. I think I could set both to 0, but i rather not try it.
Maybe use the isolator and for an hour disable the whole system? But only if you know that it starts up just as easy again.

I have the washing, dryer and had to bump charge the EV .. so it is pulling about 7kw off the grid .. might just vacuum the last 20 mins

Everything I can do to help the country get rid of surplus

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Neighbor of mine has old style meter and when he’s exporting his disc on meter goes backwards

Don’t know why or how this happens but it does seem a bit strange.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
August figures in

Bill from octopus £55.65
Export from them £31.74

Total usage 925.6kwh

Without cost £228.50
Savings this month £204.50

Waiting for a payment for Monday as they did an offer of half price charging as they were demonstrating how their smart systems can help the grid even further so that will drop on next month (perfect timing for our return from road trip)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Free electricity right now . Actually managed to match it up with usage on a dull day

Attachments

• IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 7

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Free electricity right now . Actually managed to match it up with usage on a dull day

I set an alarm for 13:00, i had turned on the dehumidifier via the app, same with the air cons in dehumidifier mode .. thought use what you can.. battery was at 88%

Have another alarm set for 13:50 to turn it all back off

Reckon I'll go through 2kw of energy which is 48p credit but also means my battery will be full so will start exporting rather than charging so double win

This is first session my battery hasn't been full, because otherwise I'm just wasting export so didn't bother

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
August was still good. We were predicted 314 kWh generation but generated 376 kWh, some 20% above.

August:
Used 188 kWh, would have paid £43 if on normal tariff.
Net exported 183 kWh for a gain of £32.
This gives a saving of £75, or £2.42 per day

Last year we used 344 kWh for £105, on that we saved £137

September is starting really awful so far. We should generate 245kWh, but not with days like these.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
August was still good. We were predicted 314 kWh generation but generated 376 kWh, some 20% above.

August:
Used 188 kWh, would have paid £43 if on normal tariff.
Net exported 183 kWh for a gain of £32.
This gives a saving of £75, or £2.42 per day

Last year we used 344 kWh for £105, on that we saved £137

September is starting really awful so far. We should generate 245kWh, but not with days like these.

I'm covering my day usage by filling up as normal and battery is covering me until cheap rate returns (with bit of solar)

Haven't had to use the trick charge from the wife's car (request an intelligent charge and then use when it gives me to fill up the battery at 7p)

Anyways getting through but now everyone out the house during day bar me if I'm not on the golf course (plus new dishwasher and freezer more energy efficient) I'm managing well and think winter will be fine

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Electricity 1st Aug. 2024 - 31st Aug. 2024 - £18.93
Gas 1st Aug. 2024 - 31st Aug. 2024 - £15.902.

We have credited you for your export Based on your meter readings. No VAT on export. Electricity 1st Aug. 2024 - 31st Aug. 2024 + £23.53

another decent month, unfortunately the days are getting wetter and shorter

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Good day yesterday taking September back to net 0.

But, my thermostat heard the new price cap announcement and got excited last tight

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpeg
    IMG_3897.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 3

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just agreed to upgrade our battery capacity by adding 2 more … will get us to 10kwh capacity.
Once in place I think we will be almost fully load shifted to off peak. We could run some appliance during the day and not have to worry about import

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just agreed to upgrade our battery capacity by adding 2 more … will get us to 10kwh capacity.
Once in place I think we will be almost fully load shifted to off peak. We could run some appliance during the day and not have to worry about import

It's definitely a game changer. Especially on intelligent go. Full them up overnight then export all your solar for double the price. While that lasts ofc

However the best bit is just being able to run 95% or My electric during the cheap hours as the battery covers it

I say 5% isn't allows for the little extra bits here and then when I pull more than 5kwh at once or deep winter when battery runs out about 9pm (rare but happens)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Free electric again from 13:00-14:00 anyone who didn't see the email

I didn't think I would actually have a low enough battery to use it... Because it's very sunny but the wife wanted the beds all fresh sheets so it's tied in nicely with running the battery down to 80% to fill up.

My car plugged in just to eek it out

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am producing so much solar right now, I can’t push anything from the battery out to generate space for the free energy

Yeah literally if it wasn't for all the washing (we are on load 4 waiting to go on) it wouldn't be done

I'm descaling the steam mop and kettle just to get a little more space (might aswell saves me doing another day) and I've got the dishwasher on for second time (cleaning it this time)

My car is 93% full so 7% can go in at 13:00

I've used 20kwh of energy today. Normally that's my day use lol

Dehumidifiers on aswell because it's drying the other washes whilst waiting for the tumble.

Nice little system going until those free hours and then I'll export after that as battery will be full .

Only actually taken 10kwh off the grid overnight so only need to export 8kwh to cover me and the standing charge

As an aside how blooming great is white vinegar

It's currently descaling the kettle, descaling the steam mop.. cleaning the dishwasher rather than buying a cleaning thing and I use a mix of it and water for general spray cleaning. Remarkable stuff

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My inverter timing was out, started to pull 8 minutes early. That’s fixed now.

We just charge 1kW back into the battery, competing with actual solar. But also turned on the immersion heater and washing machine.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My inverter timing was out, started to pull 8 minutes early. That’s fixed now.

We just charge 1kW back into the battery, competing with actual solar. But also turned on the immersion heater and washing machine.

I managed to get 8kwh roughly in that hour

Kia's now full to the brim, powerwall full so we will start exporting soon. Last wash is done so it's just the tumble now for rest of day.

32kwh used so far today lol 🤣