Solar panels , would you ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
April Numbers:

Last year: 355 kWh for £121 + standing charges

This year load: 187 kWh which would have been just £55 on the new regular tariff price cap.
Net import: - 133 kWh at - £24. We exported more than we imported, and at an average higher price point Add standing charges back in and we are still getting paid for April.
This gives us savings of 'only' £80ish over what would have been this year without solar, but £145 on last year.
Generation was 326 kWh on an 8 panel array.

Because our usage reduced so much we don't save as much on what would have been, but we save a lot on last year.
Last year we paid about £130+ a month with threats of it going up even more. That's why we went in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
April Numbers:

Last year: 355 kWh for £121 + standing charges

This year load: 187 kWh which would have been just £55 on the new regular tariff price cap.
Net import: - 133 kWh at - £24. We exported more than we imported, and at an average higher price point Add standing charges back in and we are still getting paid for April.
This gives us savings of 'only' £80ish over what would have been this year without solar, but £145 on last year.
Generation was 326 kWh on an 8 panel array.

Because our usage reduced so much we don't save as much on what would have been, but we save a lot on last year.
Last year we paid about £130+ a month with threats of it going up even more. That's why we went in.

That is the thing with reducing your usage, your savings drop through the floor 😆

Im glad my excess solar now is worth 15p as it softens the blow

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just reduced our DD to under £100 for the month and asking Octopus for £400 of our credit back.
That's down from £270 last year and £170 year to date. If we can keep that payment so low going forward we are looking at £2000 a year saving. Some of that is habit/usage.

We should now start to feel our payback, taking it from the excel sheet into the real world.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just reduced our DD to under £100 for the month and asking Octopus for £400 of our credit back.
That's down from £270 last year and £170 year to date. If we can keep that payment so low going forward we are looking at £2000 a year saving. Some of that is habit/usage.

We should now start to feel our payback, taking it from the excel sheet into the real world.
Just had the DNO round to fit the voltage monitor as we had been getting over voltage from their side . Fascinating bloke, stayed 30 mins afters just chatting electrics. Was like heaven lol 🤣

Octopus have just offered me 5.27p a kWh for gas for a year from July when mine ends (7p) I was gonna risk a tracker but at that rate? Jeez that's really going to save money compared to the 10p the winter before

Amazing morning for solar we were exporting before I even got home from My night shift

He had to cut the power (battery took over) for 10 mins to fit the device so the solar got shut off lol 😆

Could be one them days that pays for itself .. record is 85p made after standing charges and usage so far (just this year)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Could be one them days that pays for itself .. record is 85p made after standing charges and usage so far (just this year)
We got our mid May bill through last night, and for the month we paid £33 including standing charge, and we made £43 from export.
But other than you we paid about £60 for petrol for our bank holiday trip to stanstead and back. But it is worth it just for the range and peace of mind ;-)

99% of our import was at 15p low rate, that was quite nice to see.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We got our mid May bill through last night, and for the month we paid £33 including standing charge, and we made £43 from export.
But other than you we paid about £60 for petrol for our bank holiday trip to stanstead and back. But it is worth it just for the range and peace of mind ;-)

99% of our import was at 15p low rate, that was quite nice to see.

Brilliant isn't it.

All my public charging (ever) have been covered by my dad joining octopus and using my referral code so I got £50 aha

Im interest to see how much we export compared to last year , for one we are on a higher export rate so make more regardless but the kids are all in school or nursery where as last year they weren't so daytime usage was more than it is now

For example I'm off to bed in a min, air cons on (it's low energy as it has an inverter) the dehumidifier is on downstairs but that's it, 0.7kwh the house is pulling but the solar is producing 3.1kwh , battery is full so the rest is just getting dumped back to the grid for 15p a kWh

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We just ordered an aircon from Amazon, paid by Octopus once we get the money back ;-)

Wife made my laugh when I had the air con fitted a few years back (5 indoor units powered by 2 outside units) "what a waste" etc etc

Who uses it almost every day because she has a thyroid issue that means she gets hot? Lol 🤣 save massively on gas use mind!

Is great when it's powered by the sun aswell !

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just another quick praise for octopus

Messaged them on X to switch me to the new tariff in July when it expires

I always avoid doing it via their site as they try to switch the electric, they say it shouldn't take me off intelligent but for sake of a message saves the hassle

Anyways back to me in 20 mins, all done and pointed out my current tariff has a £75 exit fee and the new one doesn't so in July when I roll on keep checking a new cheaper one isn't offered as they role onto the new price cap then and could save me money

I mean that's just nice to point out. Even tho I would have anyways just putting it in a message to try and save a customer money . Fair play

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just had the DNO round to fit the voltage monitor as we had been getting over voltage from their side . Fascinating bloke, stayed 30 mins afters just chatting electrics. Was like heaven lol 🤣

Octopus have just offered me 5.27p a kWh for gas for a year from July when mine ends (7p) I was gonna risk a tracker but at that rate? Jeez that's really going to save money compared to the 10p the winter before

Amazing morning for solar we were exporting before I even got home from My night shift

He had to cut the power (battery took over) for 10 mins to fit the device so the solar got shut off lol 😆

Out of interest what did the DNO guy say was the reason for the over voltage?

Did he recommend installing a SPD (surge protection)?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of interest what did the DNO guy say was the reason for the over voltage?

Did he recommend installing a SPD (surge protection)?

He had just put a monitor on for now which will be on 10 days. The cause is most likely being very close to the sub they need to tap the supply down a bit

Not seen any ill effects of it only my charging company alerted me to the charger had reported overvoltage (when nothing plugged in) so I got it looked at

Just an add, it's not constant over voltage, when he was here it was 250 so within tolerance , when the first guy came a month ago it was within. It will be for just a few seconds random times like 19:51 , 00:15 . Different days, some when I'm not even on grid power

Last edited:

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does that include standing charge? I think I could make profit on just the usage in the summer but the standing charge puts me -£14.50 a month before I even start
Yes,

Thinking a little about this, I am actually the export value better off, as I haven't had to pay for any electricity last month.
Only last week my wife put on 3 loads of washing and two of them went into the tumble dryer, all from the solar panels,

The biggest drain is when she cooks the dinner, as we have an electric hob and oven

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
He had just put a monitor on for now which will be on 10 days. The cause is most likely being very close to the sub they need to tap the supply down a bit

Not seen any ill effects of it only my charging company alerted me to the charger had reported overvoltage (when nothing plugged in) so I got it looked at

Just an add, it's not constant over voltage, when he was here it was 250 so within tolerance , when the first guy came a month ago it was within. It will be for just a few seconds random times like 19:51 , 00:15 . Different days, some when I'm not even on grid power
Yes higher voltages closer to the Sub are common, with the increase in electronics in the house there was an amendment to the 18th Edition of the wiring regs in 2022 to make SPDs practically compulsory for new fuse boards. Would have expected any EV chargers to have an SPD fitted as part of the job.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes higher voltages closer to the Sub are common, with the increase in electronics in the house there was an amendment to the 18th Edition of the wiring regs in 2022 to make SPDs practically compulsory for new fuse boards. Would have expected any EV chargers to have an SPD fitted as part of the job.

The charger has it built in, as does all the equipment, it was just reported by the charge company to say have it looked into as they noticed the charger had tripped out for a few seconds randomly because of high voltage

I'd of never of known about it otherwise

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've to wait until the end of the month for our first full bill since having the solar and batteries installed so will be interesting to see what it is.