Societies, a necessary pain.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Matches at my club have take priority, even more so with inter club matches.
Even if they weren't, a 2 ball should always be allowed through by 3 or 4 balls if that 2 ball are playing quicker (which normally they are) unless they decline the offer.
The whole thing does sound like poor management of your booking system.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not sure its the society that's the issue its lack of etiquette. regardless of who's in front 2 two ball is a faster group so they should step aside and let you though.

our matches have priority of the course so if you are caught by a match you have to let them though.

Ours do not except for the club championship. It was seen as way the 4BBBs in particular were holding up the field " we are playing a match otherwise we would let you through"

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So a load of 2 balls playing match play, the whole course needs to stop and let all the groups through in the middle of the day

Sounds super impractical.

how about a better idea and play 4 balls with 2 matches going on

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So a load of 2 balls playing match play, the whole course needs to stop and let all the groups through in the middle of the day

Fully agree with this. I also think we can get a bit wrapped up in the “importance” of a competition or match. It’s not the Open or Ryder Cup, so the sense of having reservations for an hour or priority of the course which impacts others is daft.

4 hours is fine for a game of golf (although I prefer faster) so just accept it and chat.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Have you ever tried this. I have done it a few times in interclub league matches and it is a right pain. The two separate matches seem to get in the way of each other.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lee park had a massive big white board on the outside of the clubhouse near the starters office which had the clubs weekly diary on it. It let you see if societies, club matches or anything else had booked the tees.

You could then make plans around that. I wish my current club had similar.
yes I remember that was Steve Settles idea did give you the info you needed.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lee park had a massive big white board on the outside of the clubhouse near the starters office which had the clubs weekly diary on it. It let you see if societies, club matches or anything else had booked the tees.

You could then make plans around that. I wish my current club had similar.

BRS booking system lets us see that. Big advantage to it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
BRS booking system lets us see that. Big advantage to it.

We have a board outside the pro shop showing the next 2 weeks activities and get emails from the secretary for diary updates.

I’d never be a member of a club with a BRS tee booking system, however good the club/course.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
we played a club in Ireland last summer. the members where up in arms that we closed the course for 3 days. that's until they realised that we'd got through 2000 pints of beer and 700 meals.

the club invested the money back into green keepers equipment

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
we played a club in Ireland last summer. the members where up in arms that we closed the course for 3 days. that's until they realised that we'd got through 2000 pints of beer and 700 meals.

the club invested the money back into green keepers equipment

That's a heck of a feat for a 4 ball 😂😂🍻