Societies, a necessary pain.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
This morning we had an interclub league match booked in from 11am, this was booked back in November, since then the club booked an hours worth of tee times to a society from just after 9, this was only booked last month, Friday is also a men's roll up day so they booked 5 slots after the society and before the time reserved for us.

We were playing singles match play and the everyone out in front were in 4 balls, expect for a 3 ball immediately in front of us. The 3 ball let us through, no one else did "there's no point love, you only be waiting again"

The result was our matches took over 4 hours as they all went at least to the 16th.

Now I know that the revenue Societies bring in are needed by a lot of clubs, and that's fair enough, but it doesn't look great when you are playing another club and are apologising all the time.
The club could have at least told us about the society so we maybe could have pushed our time back a bit.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is the club that desperate for cash it would book in a society immediately before an inter-club match? Sounds a bit short sighted. Might be worth asking the sec to consider bringing it before the next committee meeting... at least that way there might be less chance of it happening again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess most clubs will see societies as a needed income stream and most members as a necessary evil as they go some way to keeping the membership fee increases down or from happening. However, I think the club does have an element of responsibility when taking the booking to ensure they allocate a time that does allow for other matches but still gives members a chance to get out and play without being expected to trail behind matches and a society. Tough balancing act. Get it wrong and people get frustrated like Louise clearly did. Get it right and everything flows smoothly and everyone is happy. Not easy to do mind

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot of clubs don't allow non members to play until after a certain time, around 11. I like that idea and it could have prevented your problem as your match could have been arranged with that in mind.

It is a tough balancing act for clubs, they need the money, but it's sounds as though they got it wrong today.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not sure its the society that's the issue its lack of etiquette. regardless of who's in front 2 two ball is a faster group so they should step aside and let you though.

our matches have priority of the course so if you are caught by a match you have to let them though.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
our matches have priority of the course so if you are caught by a match you have to let them though.

IMO matches should be 'ring fenced' within reason so it's relatively clear in front and behind

Patrick - what happens at yours if matches (eg pairs) get caught up by other smaller/faster groups (eg a 2 ball having a bounce game)?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
not sure its the society that's the issue its lack of etiquette. regardless of who's in front 2 two ball is a faster group so they should step aside and let you though.

There was a two ball behind us on Sunday at Mar Hall, I spoke to them early in the back 9, they were fully understanding of how many 4s were in front of them and ok about it, I see no point in letting a 2 ball thru when the course in front is all 4s.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lee park had a massive big white board on the outside of the clubhouse near the starters office which had the clubs weekly diary on it. It let you see if societies, club matches or anything else had booked the tees.

You could then make plans around that. I wish my current club had similar.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stop the press - a golf match on a busy course took 4 hours and a few minutes - the world will end.

Perhaps the matches' scores might have improved were the extra few minutes available for concentration applied to shot-making not clock watching.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was a two ball behind us on Sunday at Mar Hall, I spoke to them early in the back 9, they were fully understanding of how many 4s were in front of them and ok about it, I see no point in letting a 2 ball thru when the course in front is all 4s.

Seemingly there was a 5 ball out using 2 buggies about 4 or 5 games infront of us, when you eventually caught up with us at the 17th :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
IMO matches should be 'ring fenced' within reason so it's relatively clear in front and behind

Patrick - what happens at yours if matches (eg pairs) get caught up by other smaller/faster groups (eg a 2 ball having a bounce game)?

in theory the match have priority, but if it were me and i was holding a 2 ball up, id let them through, but highly unlikely any one would unless my oppo was a slow coach

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I just blamed the hold up on the four in front of us :rofl:

They were a bunch of Shereen Nanjianis or so I'm told 😂.

To be fair 4 hours isn't unreasonable for a competitive match and it would have meant two hours worth of tee-times standing aside letting through a bunch of two balls. That would have held up play even more. They should have perhaps allowed more time between tee-offs for the earlier groups.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Surely this isn't your decision to make, if they are by definition faster than your group and they are waiting, you let them through, what then happens in front is not your concern, basic etiquette should be applied at all times, shouldn't it?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over here its common.place to block book the match times approx 30/40 mins before match start time and after last match tee time . Most members would let a match through tho

D

Deleted member 18588

Surely any Club match, be it Scratch Team, Seniors, Ladies or whatever should have a protected tee reservation i.e. with a space both before and after.

Certainly that is the practice at our Club.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes societies are a must for most clubs. Essential for nomadic or casual golfers to get a long overdue round and income for the club.

They can be an advertisement for the course to potential members, enticing them back to the game.

I do agree however their scheduling should reflect the needs of the club and the expected pace for those in and around the group.

D

Deleted member 18588

We did have 2 spare slots booked before and after, but we caught up to the first group in front of us on the 4th.

By a protected tee reservation I meant 30 mins either side.